Anyone into Stephen King?

TombRaider

I haven't read that one. What is it about? As for the Dark Tower, I've only read the first two. Pretty interesting stuff.

...and if you have never read a SK book and you only wanna read one, make sure it's Pet Sematary. His best novel, hands down. Stay away from movies based on his books, though.

I thought some of the movies based on his books translated very well...

Shawshank Redemption

The Shining

stand By Me

Carrie

The Green Mile

Misery

I do try to read his stuff before I see the movie though. Needful Things and Salem's Lot would not have been nearly as good if I had watched the movies first.

Edited by Orsys

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive read Pet Semetary, Skeleton Crew, The Shining, the Dead Zone, Room 1408, Cell, On Writing, The Gunslinger.

He writes his books listen to hard rock.

The Green Mile is meant to be a good one.

Im not a massive fan i dont run out to buy his new book in the same way i do Bret Easton Ellis. Or even James Ellroy.

The Shining can hardly be called a Stephen King adaptation. Horrible movie, but the spatial awareness and intentional continuities are amazing. Look up those videos on YouTube.

The Stand is the first "movie" of his I saw and I've loved it since. I've read the uncut version about seven times. The Dark Tower, Salem's Lot, The Shining and IT are also favorites. I've read The Dark Tower (minus The Wind Through the Keyhole) five times or so. I'm still waiting on that one to be made into a film/TV series.

Started watching Silver Bullet at work the other night. Most of his movies suck compared to the books, but that's mainly because the books are too long to really work as movies.

One of my favorit writers, but I haven't read so much from him as I'd like to... I've read The Dead Zone, Carrie, Gunsliger and Night ShIft.

His books are very hard to find here on my town and the town where I go to college. So far I only found versions in english of Salem's Lot and The Shining, which I'm looking forward to read. I'l buy them in English anyway or buy the books online...

I really like the way he writes. I remember when reading The Dead Zone that I often thought "Nothing has happened for the last dozens of pages but I just can't stop reading."

He is really catchy and I really like the themes which he writes about.

Well, for those who've read The Shining... How good it really is? Way better than the film? Because I have a lot to read on college, and I was planning on starting A Game Of Thrones after I finish this awful Dan Brown book... Inferno. By far his worst book, I'm truly disapointed.

One of my favorit writers, but I haven't read so much from him as I'd like to... I've read The Dead Zone, Carrie, Gunsliger and Night ShIft.

His books are very hard to find here on my town and the town where I go to college. So far I only found versions in english of Salem's Lot and The Shining, which I'm looking forward to read. I'l buy them in English anyway or buy the books online...

I really like the way he writes. I remember when reading The Dead Zone that I often thought "Nothing has happened for the last dozens of pages but I just can't stop reading."

He is really catchy and I really like the themes which he writes about.

Well, for those who've read The Shining... How good it really is? Way better than the film? Because I have a lot to read on college, and I was planning on starting A Game Of Thrones after I finish this awful Dan Brown book... Inferno. By far his worst book, I'm truly disapointed.

The Shining is definitely better than the movie.

I'm a huge fan of his early stuff. The Stand, Cujo, Pet Sematary, The Dead Zone, The Shining, Salem's Lot are all great books, page-turners really.

For some reason, money and fame I guess, at some point in his career he started writing not so interesting books, like Tommyknockers or Bag of Bones.

And he's released a couple of boring turkeys, like Under the Dome and 11/22/63.

Anyway, his new book is gonna be released in September. It's called Dr. Sleep and it's the sequel to The Shining. I am really excited about it.

Any fans of his here?

Huge fan, but I stopped reading when he "retired" Read everything prior, I think only "The Cell" after.

For anoyone who is a huge fan... QUESTION: Am I the only person that thinks his kid wrote "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon" ?

@Izzygirl

Back when I started reading Stephen King, I didn't speak English, at all. So I had to read the Spanish translations, but they were great translations. Years later, I decided to read them all again, in English, some in German too, like Pet Sematary, which I've read in those 3 languages :laugh:

As for the movie, like someone already said, The Shining movie is so different from the book, it's not really fair to call it an adaptation. It's more like, a movie that borrows a little bit here and a little bit there from a great book. SK himself didn't like it. And I fully understand why.

I know it's a sin to say a flim made by Kubrick is bad, but this one is, if you love the book. It's as if he'd missed the point of the book altogether, as if he hadn't understood the story, at all... and Nicholson was miscast, imho.

Granted, it's not an awful film. I shouldn't have said that, but it's like a different story. It's as if Kubrick had made a film adaptation of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves and he'd decided that the dwarves were going to be tall, ripped and Snow White would be evil and a total slut.

If you're going to make a movie based on a book, at least don't change it around so much to the point where it's a different story.

That's why I don't like it.

As a teenager I loved all of King's work.

But really, now days he is like the McDonald's of horror writing.

I loved all the classics from It to The Stand to Salem's Lot and Pet Cemetary. But then he went through a stage where he creates amazingly fun characters, puts them in a weird situation.........but then he has written so much material that he lost the ability to come up with creative endings. The world is about to end, all hope is lost......but the lighter my grandpa gave me as a little boy will magically give me the power to save the world. Really?

I read Misery in one night. And have read It and The Stand and PC a couple times each. But if he had a new book come out tomorrow, the only way I would read it is if somebody loaned it to me or if it came up on the Kindle in a few months in the $8 range.

Every few years I'll try and read something new of his and am usually pretty bored by it. LIke I said, before he was really creative and developed great characters and stories.......but today, he is more like the mcdonald's version of writing. Just cranking out pretty generic and vanilla crap that the masses can easily digest.

Edited by Groghan

the masses? :rofl-lol:

I don't get it?

The masses...........my example is perfect. McDonalds hamburgers aren't very good or high quality. But they are cheap, quick and easy, and tasty enough to supress your hunger until the next meal. That's why they sell millions of burgers every year. My burgers are 10 times better than a McDonalds burger. They are thick and juicy and take about half an hour of prep time and cook time to make. You can go to any city in the world, pay a buck, and a minute after you order it - you are eating it.

King has turned into a safe writer, who produces pretty vanilla stuff now..........safe, vanilla, non-controversial horror that people can pick up for some light, fun easy reading. Romans novels sell by the millions - but they clearly aren't great works of fiction. Same thing with King now. IMO, he's lost his mojo and now just writes for fun and the paycheck.

PS, The Stand, It, Misery, Salems Lot, Dead Zone.....those were game changers. Like I said, I stayed up all night when I bought Misery because I couldn't put it down. I literally didn't go to sleep that night. Meanwhile, I've got two or three of his newer books at home that I haven't started, or have started and just got bored and stopped reading them.

Edited by Groghan

Love Steven King. Am a big fan of his newer stuff too, it's not even about the stories, there is something about the way he writes. I swear he could make the phone directory interesting. For anyone who writes themselves, his book, On Writing, is brilliant.

Jesus, appalling typo. I should flog myself for that. Sorry Stephen. :-P