Arnold Schwarzenegger: New Terminator to Start Filming In January

bran

The problem with Terminator is that each new film was worse than the previous one.

T2 > The Terminator

That's debatable. I love t2 and it was def my favorite as a kid, but the first one is just so dark, and he is such a badass as a bad guy.

"Sarah Conner?"

"Yes"

PEW! PEW!

the gun shop scene is the best. where the gunshop owner tells arnold he cannot load the shotgun, turns around and shoots him.

There's a lot of T2 nostalgia on this forum because of the whole connection to Guns N' Roses (just look at the avatar of the dude above me!). It's funny, though: I remember T2 being one of the first 'event films' of my childhood. I don't remember it coming out in theaters, but I remember being in England the first time it was broadcast on TV. Back then they had five channels, nothing more, and movie debuts were a BIG deal. My older sister's friends had a big get together to watch the movie and I remember not being allowed to see it. But I remember the hype around it, the fact that it had already been out on video for probably a couple years but these preteen age girls were still so excited to see it that they were throwing a viewing party. :lol: Movies don't quite have that impact anymore because of the digital age and how you can access stuff so quickly from anywhere you want.

Anyway, I was a huge Arnie fan as a teenager and I remember seeing T1 and loving it. Not sure if I'd seen T2 yet at that point but I still remember being taken aback by Arnold as the bad guy, since I knew he was the good guy in the sequel. (Which is a 'twist' that people don't really appreciate in retrospect, since, when the movie was released, a lot of people just assumed Arnold as the bad guy again, and then they're sitting there in the theater and it turns out he's the hero in that epic scene in the mall.)

T1 is a great horror/cyberpunk movie. T2 is a totally different type of movie, a great visceral action film/blockbuster spectacle. They're hard to compare, because their best qualities are so unique and different from each other. I wish more sequels were like that.

I was incredibly hyped for T3 as a 14-year-old and saw it in theaters in the UK after being pissed off knowing I had to wait so much extra time (it had been released in America a lot earlier in the summer, if I recall correctly). At the time it had gotten surprisingly good reviews from critics, but it's one of those movies where the vocal minority fanbase has kinda rewritten history, and now everybody refers to it as if it goes without saying that it's horrible. Truth be told, I had to kinda convince myself at the time that I loved it, I didn't want to acknowledge that it wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but it is definitely let down by pedestrian direction/photography (doesn't really have the dark tone of the other two movies!) and scripting. But if you don't compare it directly to T1 or T2, it's a fine enough entertaining action movie. It's got some cool set pieces (like the car chase with the crane) and I like the balls they had to kinda follow through with the ending, even though many fans felt like it was kind of a middle finger to the entire point of Cameron's narrative.

Salvation was mediocre, but had some cool ideas. McG and bad script again undermined the potential. The whole ending got kinda sloppy (they infiltrate Skynet, the hub of the super computers taking over humanity, and there's only a couple Terminators guarding the place?!?).

Honestly, my best possible hopes for T5 (and this ISN'T going to happen) would be Cameron returning to the franchise with his Avatar money, getting Arnold digitally pre-aged with his motion capture CGI (not entirely CGI animated, but erasing some of the wrinkles and making him look more like his T2 era), and making a definitive end to this series before they inevitably reboot it (which they kinda already sorta tried to do with Salvation, so it's funny that now they're going back to the original series and making a direct sequel with Arnie again).

Thought this part of the article was very interesting.

"The big shame in the almost three-year delay from the rights deal to that production start is that there is a ticking clocks that impacts the number of Terminator films that can be made. Franchise creator James Cameron — who has stayed on the sidelines since directing the first two classic films — is the beneficiary of changes in copyright law. Basically North American rights to the franchise revert back to him in 2019. That is because the copyright reversion now takes place after 35 years, and The Terminator was made in 1984. There should be no reason the Ellisons’ Annapurna Pictures and Skydance shouldn’t be able to make two sequels that end the human race’s battle against Skynet. But the original thought was that the film would span three pictures, and that might not be possible. No studio would roll the dice on that kind of potential quandary.

There is no telling if Cameron would consider lending the rights for more movies. He actually sold his rights in the picture to then-partner Gale Anne Hurd for $1, to ensure he would not be removed as the director. So even though he has made gazillions of dollars from Titanic and Avatar, cashing in on his signature project, the one he got screwed over on, might be symbolically important to him. On the other hand, none of the sequels were near as good as Cameron’s first two films, so he might just want to keep moving forward with his Avatar sequels and retire The Terminator in 2019. Arnold will be 71 by then so it might be euthanasia on Cameron’s part by then. But, No comment all around."

Edited by 31illusions

I think the biggest shame out of this whole affair isn't that there will be another Terminator film(s) that will feel as lifeless as a magic carpet without magic, but that James Cameron is going to spend the entirety of his career entrenched in movies about blue aliens and Sam Worthington is going to headline every one of them.

So much talent wasted on what amounts to a Disney theme ride.

Salvation had some wonderful production values, innovative shots and stellar cinematography. It also had Anton Yelchin paying homage to Michael Biehn in the best possible way. What it didn't have, in any sense of the word, was a heart. Ironic considering the literal and spiritual point of the movie was the strength of the human heart.