What's the concept of Chinese Democracy?

izzydoezit

Anyone who's been to China as a tourist including myself will tell you that this fear that Axl is talking about is a load of horse shit.

that's true, increasingly so. but at first impression, in comparison with other places it does feel a bit controlled. they like a uniform. but actually those guys are just security guards. but very little fear, in fact they are a rabble or spitting, rib binging, massage parlor hedonists. maybe though an Axl Rose type figure couldn't exist. Maybe songs like Mr Brownstone, Civil War would be banned.

Thousands of years with a dictatorship. Maybe they just got used to being controlled, to the lack of democracy and total freedom that the fear was replaced with just dealing with it and trying to make the best of it, but I don't know. Never been there so I have no idea.

Hi,

Willing to bet alll my credit cards you are an American.

edit

and my house,car too.

Edited by LTD

Anyone who's been to China as a tourist including myself will tell you that this fear that Axl is talking about is a load of horse shit.

that's true, increasingly so. but at first impression, in comparison with other places it does feel a bit controlled. they like a uniform. but actually those guys are just security guards. but very little fear, in fact they are a rabble or spitting, rib binging, massage parlor hedonists. maybe though an Axl Rose type figure couldn't exist. Maybe songs like Mr Brownstone, Civil War would be banned.

Thousands of years with a dictatorship. Maybe they just got used to being controlled, to the lack of democracy and total freedom that the fear was replaced with just dealing with it and trying to make the best of it, but I don't know. Never been there so I have no idea.

Hi,

Willing to bet alll my credit cards you are an American.

Hello there. I'm from Israel.

Edit: how many rooms, and what kind of car are you driving?

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I was just listening to an early version of the title track the other day. I forgot what show, but I'm sure others have heard it. It's the one where Axl is talking about watching some movie and how it relates to the lyrics of the title track. He said something about someone knowing someone else was going to die for supporting them... ...or something lol. Let's put it this way; even when Axl was saying it, I got lost and thought "WHAT??". Then of course the song kicked it and I was even more confused.

Good discussion.

I applaud the lyric "Blame it on the Falun Gong".A crack in the iceberg that might get the world

watching about one of their worst human right's abuses. People in Hong Kong can protest it.

Good to see Chinese people doing so!

I'm guessing the song is not worrying about who is on top now because the judgment of

future generation will be clear. Axl has the same fate, you can pick on him now for petty stuff

but future generations are gonna be fascinated by his life and career. And all the people who go

along with treating another/others unfairly to satisfy some religious/political/maniacal urge

will end their days out of time realizing that they will die and the ineffectual message they tried

to push will die and the vision they tried to squash will live. And the shift has already happened.

The fascination of certain people and cultureswill survive! Shanghai will be the new Paris or

pretty close!

Thoughts:

http://louderthanwar.com/kraftwerk-banned-from-playing-china-john-lydon-asked-for-all-his-lyrics-before-being-allowed-in/

Edited by ohlovelyrita
  • Like 1

I agree that Shanghai will be the new Paris. It is great that the East can now aspire to be just as good as the West - and in fact mirror it! After all, China is a young civilization and I understand that they are learning. If Axl's voice can bring solace to some of those so brutally oppressed by the Chinese regime (I am talking about Falun Gong in case I am being too subtle), then maybe one day liberation music like Chinese Democracy can lead to real social change in China and other similarly oppressive oriental countries in general!

There's no one concept, that's why people find the record so overwhelming. It's basically 20 years worth of commentary - from heartbreak to politics to society.

What commentary on politics and society?

There's no point in seriously discussing Chinese with somebody that is vehemently anti-Axl.

As you already said, Axl simultaneously discusses A: his own reality B: everybody's reality. It's upto yourself if you enjoy said commentary. Frankly I couldn't care less what your opinion is.

What commentary on politics and society?

There's no point in seriously discussing Chinese with somebody that is vehemently anti-Axl.

As you already said, Axl simultaneously discusses A: his own reality B: everybody's reality. It's upto yourself if you enjoy said commentary. Frankly I couldn't care less what your opinion is.

Of course you care which is why you feel the need to continue to come here and defend it and use the same tired argument that people hate it because they hate Axl.................

Of course you care which is why you feel the need to continue to come here and defend it and use the same tired argument that people hate it because they hate Axl.................

Continue to come here? What are you talking about? I haven't discussed Chinese in a long time.

The beauty of somebody's else art is that I don't have to defend it. I like it, and I couldn't care less if you don't.

So defensive.

WHAT POLITICS?

I like Chinese, why does that make you mad?

If I were to explain what I deduct from the record, would that change your opinion?

No.

What. Political. and. social. Commentary?

Why should I bother myself articulating the content of Chinese? I don't value your opinion enough to do that, and it won't change your opinion.

During the mao era it was real. not saying there isn't still control. but unless you are political it's not going to effect you on a fear level, at your job at the post office. if you're reasonable then you'll be fine, if you want to be a dick about things then yeah you can get in trouble. you probably do have less freedoms, or chances. the prisons probably aren't like a trip to disneyland, officials get executed for corruption etc. but culturally pretty well developed, the kids are brought up well, rule of law, roads, infrastructure working, it's not egypt or iraq where the dictatorship is running the place into the ground. If anything they are improving lives of chinese. I'd say 4-5 cities lifestyle comparable to any big european cities. no more of a disaster than athens or naples. but i get it ideologically on paper there is still a case, but it's applicable to a lesser extent in day to day life. shit they even legalized Xboxes and there's actually an ethic minority that smokes weed out and NBA and EPL are shown all day on tv in china. so let's enjoy let the x destroy spinal cord til you can't walk no more.