Do you find Myles Kennedy ruining Slash for you?

Guest NGOG

I know that musically speaking I could potentially dig Apocalyptic Love only for the nauseating voice of Myles Kennedy.

On a 1-10 scale, I rate him a 5 or 6. It's not that he has a horrible voice or anything, because he doesn't. But I don't like the way he sings GnR songs. But then again, only Axl can do them justice. As for the other songs they have, he's ok I guess. I respect the guy though. He seems to be a nice guy and it looks as though he gets along with Slash. And at this point, having one of my favorite guitarists frequently releasing material with a stable lineup is something that pleases me to no end, even if the singer is nothing to write home about. You know, chances are Myles will never be an iconic singer, someone who writes rock history or anything, but I don't think he's even trying to be that guy or to even attempt to do that. I saw him on TMS and he was very down to Earth, likeable and professional. I guess in a way Slash is tired of working with drama queens, and yes, this is an Axl Rose reference. He's been there, he's done that. I don't think he even cares that Myles is not a huge star. He just wants someone who has a voice that is nice to listen to, albeit not an amazing bag of pipes, and someone he can tour with, who will not create any drama. The same thing goes for Axl, I guess. He just wants people who can play and not create any drama. Who needs that anyway?

I've heard people say that Myles' voice is a dime a dozen and that there are probably thousands of guys out there who'd do a better jod. Probably. But Slash chose Myles. :shrugs: And that has to mean something. Do you have any idea how many singers Slash is acquainted with or has worked or rehearsed with? Probably hundreds. And for some reason, he chose Myles or maybe he was the only one available at the time. But my point is, Myles does what he's getting paid for.

And now that I think about it, remember all the VR drama with Weiland. Another huge name in rock and look at how that turned out. :shrugs:

Edited by TombRaider

Myles has breathed new life into Slash's career.

Since he came into the picture Slash has been more enthusiastic and excited about music and his playing than I have seen him probably since his GNR days.

We also finally get to hear him playing some of the GNR stuff again on a regular basis that he wasn't up until Myles came around. There is a small group here that think Myles sounds terrible on the GNR stuff, but to public at large the reaction has been super positive. He doesn't try and sing or act like Axl on them, he just sings the shit out of them and people notice.

How many good GNR covers were there vocally that did justice to the songs prior to Myles? Almost none. Speaks volumes to the guys talent that he has pulled them off like he has.

Slash wouldn't be playing Civil War, Rocket Queen and the like if Myles was a hack that didn't do the song justice. He'd be still doing the easy ones like ISO and Brownstone.

I am very excited to see the follow up to AL. Slash himself said there was no theme to the album and they just put songs together to see how it would work. Now that everyone in the band has a level of commitment that the band has a future (even sharing him with AB) I think we will see an evolution as they try and find their own sound,

Do you find Myles Kennedy ruining Slash for you?

a bit for me, yes

Anastasia deserves a better vocalist. Myles is too "similar" for me, on all songs. He doesn't really variate his voice, that's my main problem, alongside with the dying cat voice

but still can tolerate him, because i don't have any choice. I dig Slash's solo work, so i doesn't want to NOT listening Slash, because of Myles

btw i enjoy the Slash show in february

Edited by Crash Diet

I agree with Crash Diet. I think Rod was awesome but most people find him horrible so I don't know.

Regarding Apocalyptic Love, it's an OK album and I don't mind Myles, I tend to prefer a humble singer who knows what he's doing and even if his voice is not suitable to your ears, does the best he possibly could on stage giving 110%.

Not at all as I think Myles has an amazing voice....I own all the Slash Abbey Road live instant CD's and have seen the band 3 times now and not only does Myles sound amazing on the new Slash material but he nails the VR songs and sings some of the old GnR songs better than Axl does now IMHO.........there is a reason why Jimmy Page auditioned him for Led Zeppelin..........

Some find Myles voice annoying but I think he sounds great. Him and Slash are a good team, I hope they stay together for a long time.

I agree. I just ask for 2 things:

1. Alter Bridge continues (as it is with their 4th album due out in late Sept/Oct to be followed by a world tour)

2. Myles gets a window to finish, release and do some sort of touring on his solo album he was recording when Slash first contacted him in 2009. Myles has said he doesn't want to just throw it out there. He wants to do a very small scale acoustic tour which I very highly look forward to! Jus Myles and an acoustic guitar. Amazing!

Myles wasn't my first pick for Slash and he doesn't sound great on everything but i love what they have going. The live shows they put on are better than any Snakepit or VR show I have ever seen. Myles has no ego and they work great together. Myles nails the VR songs and has gotten better at the GnR ones, He sounds really good on Nighttrain, Sweet child and Rocket Queen now. They also write really good songs together. Some are average but songs like Standing In the Sun, Back to Cali, No More Heroes and of course Anastasia are f'n awesome. Slash is also playing better than ever so it is kind of hard for ANYTHING to ruin that.

Axl in his prime sings circles around Myles at his best. But with current Axl and Myles now, it's the opposite. Myles is a technically great and skilled singer, but I can understand it not being everybody's cup of tea. Some songs, his voice sounds great, others it sounds too much, imo.

Aside from Contraband, and maybe half of It's Five O'clock Somewhere, I've only enjoyed maybe 2-4 songs off each of Slash's output (same for CD for what it's worth).

I just wish Slash would take some time to give us an album full of Anastasias, Slithers, and Fall to Pieces quality-like material. I'm not saying to take years upon years to put shit out, but at least take some more time to work on quality instead of quanity. He has it in him in spurts it seems; just wish he would push himself more.

In terms of guitar playing and performance; Slash is on the top of his game now though. His playing is more precise and fluid than ever.