I absolutely loved Shame but 12 Years a Slave looks like some Oscarbaiting crap

It's disappointingly conventional looking by that trailer, but 100% of McQueen's films so far have been serious masterpieces, so I won't count it out yet.

I am so fucking tired of Brad Pitt. He's wonderful in extreme character roles, but wallpaper as a leading man.

I am so fucking tired of Brad Pitt. He's wonderful in extreme character roles, but wallpaper as a leading man.

I agree. I've only every really enjoyed him in 12 Monkeys, Kalifornia and Fight Club.

I will also give him Burn After Reading, Assassination of Jesse James, and even Inglorious Basterds. IIRC, Se7en was the last non kook role he registered in.

I don't think he's the main lead in this movie though. Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender, I believe, are the leading men.

It does look like Legends of the Fall shit. Brad was awesome in Killing Them Softly. It took me a long time to accept him after seeing that Jeans advert and Thelma and Louise. I always just saw him as a male model. He's been in some cool movies though.

I guess this new movie is about this Steven McQueen guy getting to work with big hollywood star. This is his shot.

I didn't love Shame. I thought it was well directed but could have been better scripted. I didn't have any attachment to either of the lead characters and didn't really feel that the origins of the lead character's problems were properly defined to give me any sense of sympathy for him.

And Brad Pitt irritates the hell out of me. I don't think he's that great of an actor. Bit of a one trick pony actually, probably because I'm not mesmerised by his appearance.

• 3 months later...

This looks like a sellout movie.

It would be a fully fledged modern classic in line with Hunger and Shame if it just fucking ended five minutes earlier. It's a beautiful, devastating film but the ending is not sitting right with me.

It was brilliant, a near masterpiece, the Schindler's List of slave movies right up until

Brad Pitt shows up as a half Amish, half Forrest Gump liberator of man. Also, I'd have ended the movie with Michael Fassbender freaking out when the sheriff showed up to take his slave away.
Edited by Randy Lahey

It would be a fully fledged modern classic in line with Hunger and Shame if it just fucking ended five minutes earlier. It's a beautiful, devastating film but the ending is not sitting right with me.

It was brilliant, a near masterpiece, the Schindler's List of slave movies right up until

Brad Pitt shows up as a half Amish, half Forrest Gump liberator of man. Also, I'd have ended the movie with Michael Fassbender freaking out when the sheriff showed up to take his slave away.
I wanted it to end before that even, during that long take of him staring off into the distance right before he's rescued. For me, it would have made masterpiece status that way, even with Pitt's ludicrous vanity casting. But I understand the average Joe moviegoer would've resented the lack of instant emotional gratification, and it might've very well ended up hurting box office. And it's too important that as many people as possible see it.
Edited by Angelica

I wanted it to end before that even, during that long take of him staring off into the distance right before he's rescued. For me, it would have made masterpiece status that way, even with Pitt's ludicrous vanity casting. But I understand the average Joe moviegoer would've resented the lack of instant emotional gratification, and it might've very well ended up hurting box office. And it's too important that as many people as possible see it.
I wonder if the studio forced Brad Pitt and the family reunion ending on McQueen. Those two things didn't fit with the tone of the film at all. It kind of upsets me too, because if you change those two minor things you've got a bonafide masterpiece. Fassbender has the best supporting actor Oscar sewn up, imo. His character reminded me a lot of Ralph Fiennes' character in Schindler's List.

The only downside of the film was Brad Pitt. He didn't fit at all and he actually showed why Fassbender is a better actor than him. Fassbender actually disappears into the slave owner role, whereas the second Brad Pitt comes on screen the sense of reality disappears. He doesn't ruin the film, but he doesn't fit at all. Fine, there had to be that role of the white guy thats actually against slavery. But either make it an unknown or make it someone that can disappear into the role. By having Brad Pitt, who's also the exec producer of the film, it makes him look like this messiah and it was the only thing not believable.

Otherwise, the film was outstanding. 100% the Schlinder's List of slave movies. This will be the film that is shown in schools as the go to movie about slavery. All of the actors are brilliant. Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Fassbender, Sarah Paulson, the main character. I still can't tell how its gonna go over with the Oscars, but it is an extraordinary film. For that the fact alone that after watching it it makes you think "they seriously haven't done a slavery movie like this before". It makes you question all the slavery films that have come before it, and thats why its so amazing. There's no way to watch the film and not get uncomfortable watching Fassbender whip the girl. The scene lasts like 3 minutes and its just torture. I'm sorry, but this is the movie to end all slave movies. Since Schindler's List, there hasn't really been another Holocaust movie like that. I believe this will be the same way. Its kind of closing the book on this chapter of filmmaking, because I don't know if anyone can or will want to do better than this, just as they couldn't really do better than Schindler.

I agree. I've only every really enjoyed him in 12 Monkeys, Kalifornia and Fight Club.

I will also give him Burn After Reading, Assassination of Jesse James, and even Inglorious Basterds. IIRC, Se7en was the last non kook role he registered in.

That's exactly how I feel about Pitt. He nails it in all those movies. He was funny in True Romance too. But I can't take him at all in other movies.

I wonder if the studio forced Brad Pitt and the family reunion ending on McQueen. Those two things didn't fit with the tone of the film at all. It kind of upsets me too, because if you change those two minor things you've got a bonafide masterpiece. Fassbender has the best supporting actor Oscar sewn up, imo. His character reminded me a lot of Ralph Fiennes' character in Schindler's List.

I'm guessing that's what happened. He probably had to barter a bit to keep Patsey's whipping scene as long and brutal as it needed to be (about four people walked out during it at my screening). At the moment, I'm assuming Best a Supporting Actor will be between Fassbender and Jared Leto. My heart is with Leto, only because I don't expect him to pull anything like Dallas Buyers Club out again, while Fassbender will wnd up with multiple nominations and wins over the course of his career.

• 1 month later...

The movie was great, and though I love Brad Pitt, I agree he might not have been the best part for that role, especially since he brought out a bit of his Lt. Aldo voice out :lol:

I don't see how you can be upset with that part of the actual film though. Has anyone read the book? That's apparently how it went down, so don't get upset that this guy is made to look like some kind of Messiah when in a sense he was that to this man since he helped free him.

The only thing that bugged me was the family reunion scene, mainly for that fact that no one seemed nearly as excited as one would think someone should. Sure they might be shocked and scared after not seeing their father/husband for so long, but you think they would have been rushing up to him.

I don't know, either way, it was fantastic. Probably the best performance I've seen Fassbender give as well, and it'll be hard for him to top, I think. He was great.

And the comparison to Schindler's List is spot on as well. Great movie.