Why did Axl hate David Bowie?

TheSeeker

Marc,

I know that David Bowie was friends with Slash's mom, and Slash knew him growing up.

Slash said at one point that Bowie was backstage at one of their shows and Axl came up and started yelling at him, and Slash had to apologize to David after Axl left.

Coupled with Axl writing "Glam Sucks" on his jeans for a photo in Hit Parader magazine, what did Axl have against David Bowie? Did he dislike glam as a whole because of the gay connotations?

EDIT: I also vaguely remember some story where David supposedly hit on Erin and Axl got mad.

Edited by TheSeeker

Axl told the story in an old Kerang interview from 1989. It seems like they got over their differences...

K : I heard that David Bowie apologised to you after the incident at your video-shoot.(the story goes that Axl got pissed off with the ageing superstar after he appeared to be getting a little too well acquainted with Axls girlfriend, Erin, during a visit last year to the set where the Gunners were making a -yet to see the light of day- video for Its so easy. The upshot, apparently, was that Axl ended up aiming a few punches Bowies way before having him thrown off the set.)

A : Bowie and I had our differences. And then we talked and went out to dinner and then went down the China club and stuff. And when we left, I was like, « I wanna thank you for being the first person thats ever come up to me in person and said how sorry they were about the situation and stuff. » It was cool, you know? And then I open up Rolling Stone the next day and theres a story in there saying Ive got no respect for the Godfather of Glam even though I wear make-up and all this bullshit... Its laughable. I was out doing a soundcheck one day when we were opening for the Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton cornered me. Im sittin on this amp and all of a sudden theyre both right there in front of me. And Jagger doesnt really talk a lot, right? Hes just real serious about everything, and all of a sudden hes like (adopts exaggerated Dick Van Dyke-style Cockney) : « So you got in a fight with Bowie, didja? ». So I told him the story real quick and him and Clapton are going off about Bowie in their own little world, talking about things from years ago. They were saying things like when Bowie gets drunk he turns into the Devil from Bromley.... I mean, Im not even in this conversation. Im just sittin there. Listening to em bitch like crazy about Bowie. It was funny.

K : But you and the Thin White Duke are now best of buddies, is that right?

A : Well, I dont know about best of buddies. But I like him a lot, yeah. We had a long talk about the business and stuff and I never anybody so cool and so into it and so whacked out and so sick in my life...I remember lookin over at Slash and going : « Man, were in fucking deep trouble » and he goes « Why? » and I go « Because I got a lot in common with this guy. I mean, Im pretty sick but this guys just fuckin ill ! ». And Bowie sitting there laughing and talking about « One side of me is experimental and the other side of me wants to make something that people can get into, and I DONT KNOW FUCKING WHY! WHY AM I LIKE THIS ? » And Im sitting there thinking, Ive got 20 more years of...that to look forward to? Im already like that...20 more years? What am I gonna do? (laughs)

• Like 2

That interview is actually extremely eye opening. So he realized how crazy (I mean that in a good way) he was so early and was contemplating THEN how he was gonna deal with it. I'd almost love to see Axl read that now. It actually gets into where his mind is that he's at war with himself, similar to Bowie's mind and maybe thats why its so difficult to release stuff. Just a thought.

Either way, a good question that provided an awesome excerpt. Thanks for posting. Also good to know he made up with Bowie.

Funny thing is, if I remember right. In Slashs book he paints a slightly different picture about how he had to explain to his mom why Axl is so fucked up. Like Axl didn't have a reason to be pissed. Then it comes out that Bowie was drunk and did hit on her and has history of acting like a dick when he's drunk.

Did Slash mention that Axl was right in defending Erin against Bowies actions?

I love Slash and his music/character and all but the more you read into these stories and such the more I can see why Axls side of the story makes sense.

I think Marc has even said Slash lies and Slash himself has said he is a hustler. Not saying Axl is perfectly honest but I can see why he does so little press.

And Bowie sitting there laughing and talking about « One side of me is experimental and the other side of me wants to make something that people can get into, and I DONT KNOW FUCKING WHY! WHY AM I LIKE THIS ? » And Im sitting there thinking, Ive got 20 more years of...that to look forward to? Im already like that...20 more years? What am I gonna do? (laughs)

Thanks for this, remember Axl saying this but couldn't remember in what context. Definitely a big part in why CD took so long to come out and why the final album is a hybrid of the experimental 2002 stuff with more classic rock stuff thrown in (i.e. rhythm guitar overdubs on IRS) for the final mix.

Edited by Amir

Axl told the story in an old Kerang interview from 1989. It seems like they got over their differences...

K : I heard that David Bowie apologised to you after the incident at your video-shoot.(the story goes that Axl got pissed off with the ageing superstar after he appeared to be getting a little too well acquainted with Axls girlfriend, Erin, during a visit last year to the set where the Gunners were making a -yet to see the light of day- video for Its so easy. The upshot, apparently, was that Axl ended up aiming a few punches Bowies way before having him thrown off the set.)

A : Bowie and I had our differences. And then we talked and went out to dinner and then went down the China club and stuff. And when we left, I was like, « I wanna thank you for being the first person thats ever come up to me in person and said how sorry they were about the situation and stuff. » It was cool, you know? And then I open up Rolling Stone the next day and theres a story in there saying Ive got no respect for the Godfather of Glam even though I wear make-up and all this bullshit... Its laughable. I was out doing a soundcheck one day when we were opening for the Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton cornered me. Im sittin on this amp and all of a sudden theyre both right there in front of me. And Jagger doesnt really talk a lot, right? Hes just real serious about everything, and all of a sudden hes like (adopts exaggerated Dick Van Dyke-style Cockney) : « So you got in a fight with Bowie, didja? ». So I told him the story real quick and him and Clapton are going off about Bowie in their own little world, talking about things from years ago. They were saying things like when Bowie gets drunk he turns into the Devil from Bromley.... I mean, Im not even in this conversation. Im just sittin there. Listening to em bitch like crazy about Bowie. It was funny.

K : But you and the Thin White Duke are now best of buddies, is that right?

A : Well, I dont know about best of buddies. But I like him a lot, yeah. We had a long talk about the business and stuff and I never anybody so cool and so into it and so whacked out and so sick in my life...I remember lookin over at Slash and going : « Man, were in fucking deep trouble » and he goes « Why? » and I go « Because I got a lot in common with this guy. I mean, Im pretty sick but this guys just fuckin ill ! ». And Bowie sitting there laughing and talking about « One side of me is experimental and the other side of me wants to make something that people can get into, and I DONT KNOW FUCKING WHY! WHY AM I LIKE THIS ? » And Im sitting there thinking, Ive got 20 more years of...that to look forward to? Im already like that...20 more years? What am I gonna do? (laughs)

Haha I love the Jagger and Clapton part! thanks for posting this I never read this interview.