The Top 100 Movies according to critics

Mao5

The list doesn't have Breakfast At Tiffany's, nor does it have The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

:cry: :cry:

Breakfast at Tiffany's rarely ends up on these kinds of lists. Iconic central performance or not, it's a pretty terrible film. Edited by Angelica

The list doesn't have Breakfast At Tiffany's, nor does it have The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

Breakfast at Tiffany's rarely ends up on these kinds of lists. Iconic central performance or not, it's a pretty terrible film.

What made the movie are the two leads. And the cat.

Breakfast at Tiffany's rarely ends up on these kinds of lists. Iconic central performance or not, it's a pretty terrible film.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it terrible - it's a beautiful movie, but it suffers from a few issues )Rooney being the most obvious). I only mentioned it in jest anyway - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is the real heavyweight.

Guest Len B'stard

The Good the Bad and the Ugly got awful reviews when it was released. Often things like that turn out to be a load of bollocks but then at the same time, often those early reviews have a clarity in their assessment that is lost once a movie is like...canonized. The people made Good the Bad and the Ugly, not critics.

What, no Transformers 2? :rofl-lol:

I often hold a lot of skepticism regarding these kinds of lists since art is a very arbitrary commodity. I've taken some film classes and seen many of those movies listed, but even with a greater understanding (than what I would have without the courses) I still find most of them boring as hell.

A lot has to do with how you see movies in the first place. I don't necessarily buy into the notion that films or movies are a higher art form like literature, music or painted art. A lot would disagree with me on that, but I can't accept this notion of film as an elevated art form that many (who's lives often depend on movies being seen as a serious art form) attempt to make it. It's one of the many reasons why I won't watch the Oscars - I can't stand for the self-indulgent circle-jerk that everyone gives themselves over something that shouldn't be given so much praise in our society. For me, films are often about having a good time; I leave learning for books. Of course, to each their own.

My top ten:

1. The Big Lebowski

2. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

3. Dr. Strangelove

4. Casablanca

5. Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

6. Dumb and Dumber

7. Annie Hall

8. The Godfather (Parts 1&2 - yes, I'm counting them as one film)

9. Batman (1989 - first movie with Michael Keaton as Batman)

10. True Lies

Edited by downzy

The Good the Bad and the Ugly got awful reviews when it was released. Often things like that turn out to be a load of bollocks but then at the same time, often those early reviews have a clarity in their assessment that is lost once a movie is like...canonized. The people made Good the Bad and the Ugly, not critics.

That is true, but from the moment Blondie fires the cannon and Tuco falls of the horse, hitting his head on the gravestone, to the rolling of the credits, is 100% perfect cinema.

Guest Len B'stard

That is true, but from the moment Blondie fires the cannon and Tuco falls of the horse, hitting his head on the gravestone, to the rolling of the credits, is 100% perfect cinema.

I think the entire movie is perfect cinema to be honest. Perfect performances really. Leone knew how to utilise the range of even the most limited of actors to get the most of em. Lee Van Cleef for example isn't the greatest actor in the purest sense ever born but he does juuuuuuuuuuust the right things, dialogue-wise and physically, to suit the role he was playing and nail it perfectly.

I think the entire movie is perfect cinema to be honest. Perfect performances really. Leone knew how to utilise the range of even the most limited of actors to get the most of em. Lee Van Cleef for example isn't the greatest actor in the purest sense ever born but he does juuuuuuuuuuust the right things, dialogue-wise and physically, to suit the role he was playing and nail it perfectly.

Try comparing Eastwood's performances in A Fistful of Dollars to The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. He was atrocious in the former.