Cult movies or lesser known movies you like

wasted

Guest Len B'stard

shock corridor (directed by samuel fuller)

breezy (by clint eastwood)

land and freedom (by ken loach)

gun crazy (by joseph h. lewis)

serie noire (by alain corneau)

The first three are wonderful movies, especially shock corridor :)

I am just wondering what qualifies as 'cult' here as Mr Vampire was an absolute smash at the HK box office, helping spawn a whole genre of Hong Kong vampire flicks! Also Hammer's Dracula! Dracula was a box office smash in, not just Britain, but also America where Universal provided some of the funding and picked up the distribution rights.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Guest Len B'stard

I suppose being a smash hit in Hong Kong might count as being 'lesser known' to cross-sections of non-HK society. Y'know what I mean, here in the west etc.

Edited by sugaraylen

gun crazy and serie noire are incredible too

gun crazy is an anthem to mad love and crazy rebellion... that's how people should love and live.. and that's how films should be made!

several films as bonnie and clyde (arthur penn), breathless (godard) or badlands (terence malick) tried to capture the essence of that little film noir, but i'm not sure that they succeeded...

Edited by durruti column

Guest Len B'stard

gun crazy and serie noire are incredible too

gun crazy is an anthem to mad love and crazy rebellion... that's how people should love and live.. and that's how films should be made!

several films as bonnie and clyde (arthur penn), breathless (godard) or badlands (terence malick) tried to capture the essence of that little film noir, but i'm not sure that they succeeded...

I've seen badlands, bonnie and clyde and breathless but i've not seen this...but i will have before this evenings out, thank you :)

Order of Death was a Pil title? sounds good.

It's variously called Corrupt, Copkiller and The Order of Death which yes was a PiL song :)

One of my favourite pieces of music of all time. :)

That film sounds great, I've never heard of it before and will definitely try and hunt it down.

Truck Turner, Sweet Sweetback's Badasssss Song, Dolemite, Foxy Brown, Shaft

Rain Makers, Two Lane Blacktop and The Vanishing,THX-1138, The Conversation.

The box set of Easy Rider, Drive He Said, Last Picture Show, Head, and Five Easy Pieces.

Slums of Beverly Hills, Happiness, and Storytelling

The Warriors, Streets of Fire, Eddie and the Cruisers.

Bad Lieutenant, River's Edge, and Over The Edge.

Blue Collar, Which Way Is Up, Car Wash

El Topo, Holy Mountain.

Fantastic Planet, Heavy Metal, Heavy Traffic, Fritz The Cat, Waking Life, Roger Rabbit, Cool World, Akira, The Wall.

The Wiz, Xanadu, Thank God It's Friday, Saturday Night Fever, Hedwig, Lisztomania, Straight To Hell.

Trees Lounge, Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Bottle Rocket, Empire Records, High Fidelity, Falling Down, Requiem for a Dream, Insomnia, Memento, The Fountain, The Grey, The Fall, Big Fish, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Amores Perros, The Chase, Christmas Story, Existenz.

Being There.

I watched Hang 'Em High last night. I know people say it is an 'inferior American attempt at Leone', and to a certain degree they are right, but I think it is an excellent western. Not really a cult film as it was a box office smash but you do not see people talk about it much these days. It is Eastwood, at his absolute prime and doing what he does best. Have to love it.

To me a cult film has a cult following. even a successful movie could become cult if people obsess about. Staw Wars is a cult movie.

It is a controversial issue, the definition of 'cult movie':

A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following. Cult films are known for their dedicated fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation. Inclusive definitions allow for major Hollywood productions, especially box office bombs, while exclusive definitions focus more on obscure, transgressive films, shunned by the mainstream. The difficulty in defining the term and subjectivity of what qualifies as a cult film mirror classificatory disputes about art. Overbroad usage has resulted in controversy, as purists state it has become a meaningless term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

I felt like cult went mainstream in the 90s.

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.

I was trying to think of some more recent ones like maybe The Crow, Donnie Darko, Dazed & Confused but they seem too popular.
Depends on your definition of cult and popular.

Star Wars has a huge cult following.

I guess its movies like Pulp Fiction and Clerks are made in the style of movies that would be cult or lesser known. But they were big.

Its not the same kind of cult as Performance and Race with the Devil. Its more like cult style.