Time for a database of police using deadly force

ohlovelyrita

It is said that American are more likely to die at the hands of the police than by t3rrorism.

So who are the real terrorist then, dress them in pink and take their guns away.

Americans are also more likely to die at the hands of the police than from falling meteorites.

So who are the real meteorites then?

americans-are-8-times-more-likely-to-be-

http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/1cp6e4/til_in_america_you_are_8_times_more_likely_to_be/

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/08/president-obama-the-odds-of-dying-in-a-terrorist-attack-are-a-lot-lower-than-they-are-of-dying-in-a-car-accident.html

Edited by ohlovelyrita

There was a pretty ugly incident in Sydney when a young Brazilian man on an acid trip was tasered to death by police. The media initially sided with the cops, but as the full details of the incident came out, it became clear that a brutish amount of force was used. The crime? A stolen packet of cookies:

Roberto Laudisio Curti died after police fired Tasers at him 14 times - seven of them within 51 seconds - following a chase in the early hours of March 18.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-14/coroner-hands-down-findings-in-curti-inquest/4370892

Honestly just highlights how routine this sort of respone is. The guy was really only a danger to himself; he never posed a threat to anyone else - and this was the way the police chose to handle the situation.

There was a pretty ugly incident in Sydney when a young Brazilian man on an acid trip was tasered to death by police. The media initially sided with the cops, but as the full details of the incident came out, it became clear that a brutish amount of force was used. The crime? A stolen packet of cookies:

Roberto Laudisio Curti died after police fired Tasers at him 14 times - seven of them within 51 seconds - following a chase in the early hours of March 18.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-14/coroner-hands-down-findings-in-curti-inquest/4370892

Honestly just highlights how routine this sort of respone is. The guy was really only a danger to himself; he never posed a threat to anyone else - and this was the way the police chose to handle the situation.

Oh goodness that is awful. That's torture not restraining him. The cops always seem to always feel people are arresting arrest but most people don't know what is expected of them in that situation.

There is one tragic case that reminds me of the case you mentioned because all the man had tried to do was buy a snickers. It Involved an autistic man who was in a convenience

store. Two women thought he was a problem from an earlier encounter and called the cops. The cops went right up to him and tackled him without questioning him first. It was caught on tape. It made me so sad that no one saved him while he suffocated. It really was so heartless and he was falsely accused to boot.

Edited by ohlovelyrita

I see Otto Zehm was tasered too and later suffocated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Otto_Zehm

Last words of victim; "All I wanted was a snickers bar". An officer lied that Zehm lunged first but later admitted he lied.

"On March 18, 2006, Zehm — who worked as a janitor and did not own a car — had gone on foot to an ATM at his bank to withdraw money from his account. Two young women, who were in a car at the ATM when Zehm arrived, erroneously reported to police by phone that a man was attempting to steal money from the ATM. The women followed Zehm in their car while reporting additional information to the police dispatch by phone.[4]

Zehm next entered the convenience store that he routinely visited to buy a soft drink and fast food. Video from the convenience store security cameras show that within sixteen seconds of the first officer entering the store, the officer had run up to Zehm, whose back was initially turned to him, twice ordered him to "drop the pop",[5] and batoned Zehm to the ground - the first of at least seven baton strikes used on Zehm, including strikes to the head. [6] Within another sixteen seconds Zehm had also been tasered. In addition to the multiple beatings and taserings, Zehm was improperly hog-tied by police and placed on his stomach for more than sixteen minutes. Furthermore, the police requested a non-rebreather mask from paramedics at the scene and strapped it to Zehm's face. The non-rebreather mask was not attached to oxygen. Zehm stopped breathing three minutes after the mask was placed on his face. When ruled a homicide by the county coroner on May 30, 2006, the cause of death was reported as "lack of oxygen to the brain due to heart failure while being restrained on his stomach".

"Officer Randall Kerrick, 27, of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD) in North Carolina is facing charges of voluntary manslaughter after fatally shooting Jonathan Ferrell, 24, a former Florida A&M football player who had apparently been seeking help after surviving a major car crash early Saturday morning."

"Want detailed information on how many people were shot by police in the United States last year?

That's not so easy to find.

The nation's leading law enforcement agency collects vast amounts of information on crime nationwide, but missing from this clearinghouse are statistics on where, how often, and under what circumstances police use deadly force. In fact, no one anywhere comprehensively tracks the most significant act police can do in the line of duty: take a life.

"We don't have a mandate to do that," said William Carr, an FBI spokesman in Washington, D.C. "It would take a request from Congress for us to collect that data."

Congress, it seems, hasn't asked."

That's not that far away from where I live. This is why people don't like Police....one bad apple spoils the whole damn bunch

• 4 weeks later...

In 2011 the UK had a riot because in North London a member of the Metropolitan Police shot a man then found his gun and threw it into the bushes...

Of course, that's not what the police say.

In 2006, a Brazilian was gunned down in Stockwell 5 times in the head with a machine gun on an underground train during the day in front of horrified passengers because they thought he was someone on their hit list and they chased him to the station and on to the train. - They were undercover Metropolitan Police.

Edited by Snake-Pit

In 2011 the UK had a riot because in North London a member of the Metropolitan Police shot a man then found his gun and threw it into the bushes...

Found his gun and threw it in the bushes? So he shot the guy then hid the evidence that would have cleared him?

Found his gun and threw it in the bushes? So he shot the guy then hid the evidence that would have cleared him?

It was blatant the police planted a gun there... - That's the thing.

and the testimony of the guy who's minicab it was contradicts the police.

and... They say they honestly feared for their lives so they shot him and can't explain how it ended up in the bushes.

In the court case regarding the murder of Mark Duggan, the guy whoose death was followed by the Tottenham Riots a coupla years back. Turns out, according to some witness, the filth planted a shooter in his car after they'd shot him.

@Snake Pit - Was this the story?

Squirrels also need their own database now: http://www.wjhl.com/story/23711075/2013/10/16/officer-fired-after-run-in-with-squirrel

In the court case regarding the murder of Mark Duggan, the guy whoose death was followed by the Tottenham Riots a coupla years back. Turns out, according to some witness, the filth planted a shooter in his car after they'd shot him.

@Snake Pit - Was this the story?

Yes, the police planted the gun there and did a poor job of hiding it, so much so that the UK went to hell that week, including my own home town and my neighbourhood... I remember 3 days, constant 72 hours of helicopters in the skies and sirens outside when it came here.

Even some elderly white WWII veterans at the time were saying the police planted it. The MET are corrupt, simple as.

Don't even get me started on Stockwell and what happened there. If you blindly follow the police because they're the police, then in my opinion you're mentally retarded, I'm not saying every police force is corrupt, but my one certainly is. Lack of training, lack of morals, racist police, in London.

Edited by Snake-Pit

No, they shot him, then found his gun in the minicab/car and then they threw it in the bushes with a claim they thought he was going to shoot.

No, they shot him, then found his gun in the minicab/car and then they threw it in the bushes with a claim they thought he was going to shoot.

Hang on a second. I'm not saying that they aren't bent but that makes no sense man. If the gun was in the car then surely they've got a better chance of pinning it on him by leaving it there than hiding it?

Hang on a second. I'm not saying that they aren't bent but that makes no sense man. If the gun was in the car then surely they've got a better chance of pinning it on him by leaving it there than hiding it?

Their claim always is and was that the police officer who shot him feared for their life... That's the only time they're allowed to shoot... How could they fear for their lives if he was running and didn't wave a gun?

Edited by Snake-Pit

Their claim always is and was that they feared for their life... That's the only time they're allowed to shoot... How could they fear for their lives if he was running and didn't wave a gun?

Didn't one of the coppers actually get shot? Also that wasn't the point that was being argued. You said that the coppers deliberately hid the gun in the bushes which I was simply saying makes no sense as far as their defence would be concerned.

Their claim always is and was that they feared for their life... That's the only time they're allowed to shoot... How could they fear for their lives if he was running and didn't wave a gun?

Didn't one of the coppers actually get shot? Also that wasn't the point that was being argued. You said that the coppers deliberately hid the gun in the bushes which I was simply saying makes no sense as far as their defence would be concerned.

Nope, what? Where did you hear that. No one got shot apart form the guy who the police were after.

They knew he had a gun, they knew he went to pick up the gun, they intercepted it, he ran, they shot him, then found his gun, then can't explain why it ended up where 'they found it' but according to the minicab driver, they found it in the back of the car; the police planted the gun that was recovered in the bushes.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Nope, what? Where did you hear that. No one got shot apart form the guy who the police were after.

They knew he had a gun, they knew he went to pick up the gun, the intercepted it, he ran, they shot him, then found his gun, then can't explain why it ended up where 'they found it' but according to the minicab driver, they found it in the back of the car; the police planted the gun that was recovered in the bushes.

Sorry, I guess it's a mistake on wikipedia which wouldn't surprise me.

According to an eyewitness cited by The Independent, Duggan "was shot while he was pinned to the floor by police."[37] According to another eyewitness cited in The Telegraph, a police officer had "shouted to the man to stop 'a couple of times', but he had not heeded the warning".[20] According to a witness cited by the BBC, a police officer twice shouted: "Put it down" before Duggan was shot.[38] A Metropolitan Police Federation representative asserted that the officer who killed Duggan had "an honest-held belief that he was in imminent danger of him and his colleagues being shot".[39]

A police officer was also shot, apparently by someone other than Duggan. They were taken to a hospital and released the same evening.[16]

Ah righty. If that's the case then the coppers were totally out of order. What was he doing with the gun in the first place though?

They knew he had a gun, they knew he went to pick up the gun, the intercepted it, he ran, they shot him, then found his gun, then can't explain why it ended up where 'they found it' but according to the minicab driver, they found it in the back of the car; the police planted the gun that was recovered in the bushes.

Sorry, I guess it's a mistake on wikipedia which wouldn't surprise me.

According to an eyewitness cited by The Independent, Duggan "was shot while he was pinned to the floor by police."[37] According to another eyewitness cited in The Telegraph, a police officer had "shouted to the man to stop 'a couple of times', but he had not heeded the warning".[20] According to a witness cited by the BBC, a police officer twice shouted: "Put it down" before Duggan was shot.[38] A Metropolitan Police Federation representative asserted that the officer who killed Duggan had "an honest-held belief that he was in imminent danger of him and his colleagues being shot".[39]

A police officer was also shot, apparently by someone other than Duggan. They were taken to a hospital and released the same evening.[16]

Ah righty. If that's the case then the coppers were totally out of order. What was he doing with the gun in the first place though?

You know and I know that the UK can only take so much, that happened, so riots happened.

We don't just riot over nothing y'know. :lol:

But fuck that, what happened in Stockwell actually scares me more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4711021.stm

Their claim always is and was that the police officer who shot him feared for their life... That's the only time they're allowed to shoot... How could they fear for their lives if he was running and didn't wave a gun?

There is now a law in one U.S. state that if a cop threatens your life you can shoot them.

This case is so sad and depressing. A tragic victim of deadly force by police:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/14/police-shooting-death-of-black-car-crash-victim-could-test-north-carolinas-stand-your-ground-law/

I'm sure the good cops (the majority) would want this data base.

there have been numerous times of cops just killing people for no real reason. there was one not too long ago where the police kicked in someones door, the person inside got scared and grabbed a golf club, only to be shot many times by the cops. it was later determined they were at the wrong place.

there was a case a month ago in north carolina, where the cops were responding to a 911 call in which a women said some stranger was knocking at her door. on the way the cops saw someone that matched the description of the 911 call came running to the police, when the police instead of talking to the guy, shot him multiple times, killing him.

just up the road they found he was in a car accident was probably running to find help.

Guest Len B'stard

there have been numerous times of cops just killing people for no real reason. there was one not too long ago where the police kicked in someones door, the person inside got scared and grabbed a golf club, only to be shot many times by the cops. it was later determined they were at the wrong place.

I don't know why but that made me laugh :unsure:

there was a case a month ago in north carolina, where the cops were responding to a 911 call in which a women said some stranger was knocking at her door. on the way the cops saw someone that matched the description of the 911 call came running to the police, when the police instead of talking to the guy, shot him multiple times, killing him.

just up the road they found he was in a car accident was probably running to find help.

The first case you mentioned http://gawker.com/5737240/police-strike-force-shoots-man-armed-with-golf-club-over-his-roommates-drugs

sounds similar to 18 year old Ramarley Graham except the cops burst in his grandma's apartment without a search warrant and killed him in front of his grandma and (I think) little brother. His parents or grandparents marched with Trayvon's parents for the 50th anniversary of MLK's speech on the lawn.

That last case was so sad because his car was totalled and he was lucky to be able to escape thru the rear and to then be killed is to much to bear.

Then there is the recent tragedy of Kimani Gray: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kimani_Gray

There is now a law in one U.S. state that if a cop threatens your life you can shoot them.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/14/police-shooting-death-of-black-car-crash-victim-could-test-north-carolinas-stand-your-ground-law/

There's also a law that states you can give back equal force to a police officer to defend yourself if his force is not justified.

But good luck proving that to a fat and happy jury that just wants to stay convinced that police are always the good guys.

There's also a law that states you can give back equal force to a police officer to defend yourself if his force is not justified.

But good luck proving that to a fat and happy jury that just wants to stay convinced that police are always the good guys.

Exactly right. I was thinking the same thing since cops always get off against civilians but the other way around would be highly improbable.