BritPop

Snake-Pit

Guest Len B'stard

All a bunch of post Madchester Kensington Art Wankers as John Squire put em really. Having said that i think Oasis (not really the core of Britpop, they were from a planet all of their own) were fantastic, Blur had some really good ideas and great songs and Pulp appeared to be doing much the same as Blur except they were better/cleverer at it.

It was all a bit of a joke really, Loaded Magazine and the return of 'Lad Culture', buncha soft lads dressin' up like as if they was fresh off the firm when all any of em really were was some pill-head casualtys younger brother.

The closer to any 'movement' that you actually are the more you realise how much a massive load of cobblers and a con they all were really, or rather what they were presented to be was a con. What wasn't a con and was great was that out of the load you had like a handful of really really seriously good bands there and good music (to a point) in the charts or at least infiltrating the charts and that much alone is invaluable.

Edited by sugaraylen

Oasis was overrated. Elastica debut, was good, but it was all over the place. Ash was extremely underrated. Thought Idlewild was going to be huge in the state. Starsailor's debut was pretty good. JJ72 put out two great albums that very few have heard. The Cranberries were great, as were the Cardigans. The Doves debut is amazing, Coldplay's aswell. Could never get into Pulp or The Verve. Blur was decent, but the truth of the matter is most of their records were bad.

Edited by SunnyDRE

All a bunch of post Madchester Kensington Art Wankers as John Squire put em really. Having said that i think Oasis (not really the core of Britpop, they were from a planet all of their own) were fantastic, Blur had some really good ideas and great songs and Pulp appeared to be doing much the same as Blur except they were better/cleverer at it.

It was all a bit of a joke really, Loaded Magazine and the return of 'Lad Culture', buncha soft lads dressin' up like as if they was fresh off the firm when all any of em really were was some pill-head casualtys younger brother.

The closer to any 'movement' that you actually are the more you realise how much a massive load of cobblers and a con they all were really, or rather what they were presented to be was a con. What wasn't a con and was great was that out of the load you had like a handful of really really seriously good bands there and good music (to a point) in the charts or at least infiltrating the charts and that much alone is invaluable.

Well aren't you in a cheerful mood today :lol:

Brit pop came from that one front cover of Select magazine which had Suede, Blur, Pulp, Radiohead and they singled out Denim to be huge.

But really it was just the London scene, and thats why Oasis moved to London. Whereas as the Manics didnt.

After Parklife they just manufactured bands like Menswear. My girlfriends friend at college was drafted in as the drummer. Some other girl was dating some guy from Shed Seven.

One day we were smoking in middlesex university dorms and this gay guy who put on nights came in and anyone want to be on The Word. So we piled in to this van and dropped off went into a studio and we ended up bouncing around to Girls n Boys on The Word.

Blur were just a band, they were there at the end of madchester. Albarn is just a great musician and can write albums. How they became the biggest London band is bizarre when they arent even from London. They are from Colchester and Bournemouth. Pulp are from Sheffield. Shed Seven cambridge? Raddiohead Oxford. Oasis, manchester. Are Suede from London?

the weird thing about that quote is that John Squire went to art school. And there arent any art schools in Kensington? kensington is pretty expensive area to live and theres not much there. But I think Albarn lived close to Kensington gardens and wrote Parklife about his days in the park. I think its a dig at Albarn more than anything. Kensingston isnt like the Williamsburg of London is it.

It really seemed like the nme and melody maker manufactured the scene out of those bands.

Edited by wasted

Best song of that era is the demo of The Drugs Don't Work on the single as a b-side. Don't know if you think of The Verve as Britpop

They are more of Psychedelic rock band from the north on Storm in Heaven. Urban Hymns came out in 97 so they were a bit late for Brit pop which peaked in 1995.

but they kind of hooked up with Oasis in the late 90s.

A Northern Soul is their best album with the single being History.

• 2 weeks later...

Damon Albarn is a genius. Check out The Good, The Bad and The Queen side project. Or if you like weird stuff his Monkey: Journey to the West cd. He re-created the sounds of ancient chinese instruments using vacuum cleaning parts sampled. I know some who worked on the sets for that show in London. said Albarn is crazy.

Its really just a banner like grunge.

Blur and Pulp are very Brit Pop. Parklife and Different Class define brit pop.

Oasis and Manics are rock bands.

Suede are kind of a rock n roll band like Bowie meets early Stones.

Elastica more a pop punk band. A female Stranglers.

That was a great era, the last for guitar bands selling any numbers of cd's. I wish a new guitar band could come along and create some interest again, then other bands would follow.

My favourite brit pop bands were Oasis, Embrace, Cast, Shed Seven, the Verve, the Charlatans, the Bluetones, Dodgy, Suede and Super Furry Animals...so many great bands and such a great era when music industry was still alive

Guest Len B'stard

What's considered Brit Pop?

It's basically an era started from the early 90s, post Stone Roses/Madchester, 95% London based groups starting from i'd say Suede and ending like...1998?