Robin Finck Appreciation Thread

Broskirose

Finck's an ex gunner/hired hand (depending on your perception). This topic has no place here.

As long as the thread is predominantly about his time in GN'R, this is the place for it. :robin:

Robin really grew on me in 2007, he's such a talented musician. Hopefully going to see him with NIN in March!

I greatly appreciate that he had the decency to leave the band and quit fucking up legendary music. I would appreciate him even more if he could somehow convince his replacement to do the same.

If by "fucking up" you mean improving, then yes.

It's called putting your own spin on things as opposed to just playing (in Ashba's case, attempting) note for note, boring renditions of 80s cockrock songs. Robin is the most artistic and unique player Guns N' Roses ever had.

His Patience and SCOM solos are particularly impressive imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FMrxf4aW8g

I greatly appreciate that he had the decency to leave the band and quit fucking up legendary music. I would appreciate him even more if he could somehow convince his replacement to do the same.

It's called putting your own spin on things as opposed to just playing (in Ashba's case, attempting) note for note, boring renditions of 80s cockrock songs. Robin is the most artistic and unique player Guns N' Roses ever had.

:lol: Sorry man, but that was laughably horrible.

Are you sure you're not just laughably biased?

Biased against or towards what? I'm pretty sure I'm more along the lines of brutally honest. :shrugs:

Biased against or towards what? I'm pretty sure I'm more along the lines of brutally honest. :shrugs:

Against Robin (duh?), "NuGNR", Axl. Toward Slash, 80s cockrock, etc. Idk "mate", you tell me. Can't say I'm familiar enough with your posts to know, or care.

Against Robin (duh?), "NuGNR", Axl. Toward Slash, 80s cockrock, etc. Idk "mate", you tell me. Can't say I'm familiar enough with your posts to know, or care.

Against Robin for sucking surely. Same as most people with ears. I do have to admit, I am the number one Slash fan on the boards though, but that has nothing to do with seeing suck for being suck. :shrugs:

Against Robin for sucking surely. Same as most people with ears. I do have to admit, I am the number one Slash fan on the boards though, but that has nothing to do with seeing suck for being suck. :shrugs:

Point proven. Thanks. :thumbsup:

You had a point? Really, all that registered was "I get turned on by skullets. Who cares if he can't actually play guitar."

You had a point? Really, all that registered was "I get turned on by skullets. Who cares if he can't actually play guitar."

Yes, I had a point. It being - you're biased. Think you've done more than enough to prove it by now. But please keep up the hilarious jokes. They're killing me. ;)

Yes, I had a point. It being - you're biased. Think you've done more than enough to prove it by now. But please keep up the hilarious jokes. They're killing me. ;)

I've proven it by pointing out that Robin can't cover Slash decently. I guess asking a supposedly professional guitarist to play something that was never too complicated to begin with is far too much to ask; and anyone with the audacity to point out that they don't have the talent to do it when they fail is automatically biased, right?

• Like 1

Robins renditions of gnr songs were horrid. Whether it was because he couldn't play the songs, or because he wanted to add his own spin on things doesn't matter. Horrid is horrid. Nobody liked it outside 10 yogurt eating vegan hipsters. Add your own spin to your own songs. Don't fix what ain't broken.

That being said, I liked some of his solos on cd. His this I love solo was the only thing I liked about that song. Street of dreams was pretty good too.

• Like 1

I've proven it by pointing out that Robin can't cover Slash decently. I guess asking a supposedly professional guitarist to play something that was never too complicated to begin with is far too much to ask; and anyone with the audacity to point out that they don't have the talent to do it when they fail is automatically biased, right?

Right, but you simply pointing it out doesn't make your argument. Childish "lol sucks" posts don't really do much for one's stance. Nah, you proved my point via your posts.

I don't expect everyone to love everything Robin did. But the dumb "everything he did sucks and SPLOOSH IS AMAZING" arguments are a pretty clear indication of bias.

Lol Trent Reznor's errand boy defender to the rescue

Inb4 six page cryfest

So yeah, if anyone wants to have a real discussion/debate (or you know, just show some Finck appreciation since this is the Robin Finck Appreciation thread) feel free. Otherwise...leave?

I don't think you could argue that Robin isn't an ok guitarist, but anyone who thinks he improved on slash's solos is probably in a vanishingly small minority.

And no, I don't like everything slash does. But he played some great solos in guns - agree?

I'm fully aware of that.

Agreed.

Edited by Echoplex

I personally liked the contribution he made to he guns mystique more than I liked his playing.

He seemed to be able to completely change his look dramatically at will. And we all heard about the trapeze. And other artists talked about the 'unique' lifestyle he had, which is a pretty cool thing for one artist to say about another.

Right, but you simply pointing it out doesn't make your argument. Childish "lol sucks" posts don't really do much for one's stance. Nah, you proved my point via your posts.

I don't expect everyone to love everything Robin did. But the dumb "everything he did sucks and SPLOOSH IS AMAZING" arguments are a pretty clear indication of bias.

Where did I say that Slash was amazing? I just said that it takes somebody pretty useless to fuck up his guitar solos when they aren't that technically demanding in the first place. I expect better for Guns.

I like Robin a lot. I understand why Guns purists don't like him in Guns since he didn't play songs exactly how they sound on the album, but Nu was never really Guns to me, and I didn't want them to be just a GNR cover band. Robin brought a unique sound and feel to the classic songs that I appreciate and miss. I saw him with the band a few times in 2006 and loved him each time. I still think the band could have been a force had they kept Bucket and Robin, and had Axl been collaborative and productive in any way. CD could have been something Axl just had to get out of his system. If it came out in 2000-2002, they could have been done with it and maybe moved on to making interesting music together. Oh well. Bucket and Robin moved on and are making interesting music in other projects. Axl is doing nothing. :shrugs:

• Like 2