Robin Finck Appreciation Thread

Broskirose

3639135823_2f6815f5b4.jpg

Post some of your favorite Robin Finck performances.

Love the solo. Better than the original imo.

So much emotion in his playing here. The solo is spectacular. Better than the original imo (I wanted to use the Boston 2002 version but I couldn't find it on YT).

Edited by Echoplex

Again, the emotion in his playing (keyboard and guitar) is just spectacular. Goes to show that you don't need to play a billion notes an hour to pull off a great guitar solo. It's basically just the same thing over and over again, but Robin puts his heart and soul into it.

Without a doubt one of the greatest instrumentals of all time (with Mike Garson on piano making it even better). Robin rocking out on xylophone and slide guitar. The man...

Robin had the impossible job of directly following Slash. For this reason, he'll always unfairly be a pariah to some.

I agree that he played with feeling, but for me nowhere near as much feeling as slash did. That can't ever be an unbiased opinion, but there you go.

• Like 1

Better done right. That solo... :heart:

If we're going to have this thread in the main GN'R section, please keep it to GN'R performances, otherwise we can just move it to My World where nin would be discussed.

Fair enough. Put it wherever you see best appropriate. Frankly I don't think it matters if some Sextapes discussion comes up in a Pitman thread or Sixx AM in an Ashba thread, as long as it's still related to GNR overall. Same applies here imo. But it doesn't matter. Feel free to move it wherever you see fit.

If NIN ever ends (for real) Robin should become Gary's permanent guitarist.

Some pictures...

20010101photo01.jpg

tumblr_m0mqgirzTc1qe2osko1_1280.jpg

1225746816127_f.jpg

robinhav3.jpg

tumblr_mui2x9JSRM1ssimu4o5_400.gif

Better done right. That solo... :heart:

Fair enough. Put it wherever you see best appropriate. Frankly I don't think it matters if some Sextapes discussion comes up in a Pitman thread or Sixx AM in an Ashba thread, as long as it's still related to GNR overall. Same applies here imo. But it doesn't matter. Feel free to move it wherever you see fit.

I absolutely LOVE that performance of Better!

As for the GN'R thing, there's plenty of Robin in GN'R to appreciate. Just try to keep it on GN'R if you could. If it becomes dominated by side projects, we'll just move it there as we would with any other past/present member.

(just being overly cautious as I don't want my Robin fandom to be seen as a reason a bunch of off-GN'R posts would be allowed in the GN'R section :) )

:robin02::robin:

I like Robin's contributions to GNR and definitely prefer him over DJ but he never really clicked for me in terms of his performances live. Some solos were really good while others were very odd and just sounded off.

So I like him, but he was always underwhelming for me. Although I enjoyed his Better solo when he guested at that one UCAP show, showing DJ how its done.

I hate to be negative but IRS and Better sound better with Finck.

With that said, Dj plays the old material 1000000 times better.

Truth is that Finck's pretty much a forgettable character and imo never really fitted into Axl's band. DJ's a better fit in that sense.

Axl thought highly of Finck.

Apparently, one of the last things Matt Sorum did as a member of GN'R was show Robin Finck to Axl. He recommended him to Axl and they went to see Robin at Cirque de Soilel together and not long after (in January 1997), he was brought in. Matt suggested Robin would be a perfect rhythm guitarist, which could then allow Slash to come back to GN'R. Axl said no, he wanted Robin as the lead guitarist replacing Slash

Edited by volcano62