Collectors..........how come?

Apollo

all i own is an unplayed vinyl of Chinese Democracy (the album) and 2x unplayed vinyl of Chinese Democracy (the single). I happen to own 2x singles, as I ordered the album on both CD and vinyl, and the singles came free. I guess some day they might be worth more than i paid for them. Don't know about the singles, but a lot of reports surfaced about the quality of the vinyl, and it not being all that.

A hobby something to keep me entertained
Plus I dig seeing all the cool items

I especially like items that are beyond rare

like rarer.

The only money I ever spent on GN'R was for CD. I got all the other albums, DVD's, 3 shirts and my concert tickets as gifts (birthdays, christmas etc.)

So that's about 20 euros.

I really don't get why people spend so much money on stuff they'll never use/wear.

The same could be said when anyone buys anything unneeded

True, but there's a difference between buying something useless for 20 bucks and buying a signed napkin by some celebrity for 200 bucks. (For example)

I know I'm exaggerating a bit but you get my point.

True serious dollars can be spent collecting

I started off small with hardly anything, and the collecting became a hobby, I enjoy the history and the finds of items that are either one of a kind or extremely limited

I'm not sure if I'll make any profit from doing this probably not with the GNR fanbase in decline

I don't collect GNR stuff, but I do collect things. The hunt to find things, preferably as cheap as possible, is kind of addicting. Well it's to me. So cool to find something rare, for a low price, it can make my day.

Collecting itself is the fun part, than looking at it, knowing how you found it, gives a great feeling. I have it under control luckily and I also sell stuff. I often made good money out of it and that's even more fun. I think, I really love the hunting part. For some GNR is the subject, but it can be anything. I have a friend who collects old dolls and make a good living out of it, some she keeps, some she sells. That's how she can pay her hobby. Cause that's what it is a hobby.

What don't you understand Groghan collecting in general or can't you understand people collecting GNR related things? If you leave out the GNR part, it's just collecting and that can be anything. They just chose GNR as the subject.

Edited by MBRose

I don't collect GNR stuff, but I do collect things. The hunt to find things, preferably as cheap as possible, is kind of addicting. Well it's to me. So cool to find something rare, for a low price, it can make my day.

Collecting itself is the fun part, than looking at it, knowing how you found it, gives a great feeling. I have it under control luckily and I also sell stuff. I often made good money out of it and that's even more fun. I think, I really love the hunting part. For some GNR is the subject, but it can be anything. I have a friend who collects old dolls and make a good living out of it, some she keeps, some she sells. That's how she can pay her hobby. Cause that's what it is a hobby.

What don't you understand Groghan collecting in general or can't you understand people collecting GNR related things? If you leave out the GNR part, it's just collecting and that can be anything. They just chose GNR as the subject.

I guess maybe I should have been more specific.

On a side note - I don't get the autograph thing at all. If I met a singer and he signed a copy of an album - that would be cool. But just a piece of paper that some other person wrote his name on? Especially if you weren't there when he did it.........I just don't see why anybody would want that. The piece of paper that Axl wrote the original lyrics to SCOM on - that would be cool to have. But purchasing a note card that Axl signed for somebody else.....why?

I get why people collect things that they think are cool.

My main question was......well, like my original question.

I'd pay $350 today for a box GnR set that feature unreleased music, unreleased video footage, axl's autobiography. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

BUT I don't understand paying 350 for a baseball card that had Axl's face on it, and then for 5 extra copies of Chinese Democracy that weren't going to be opened and listen to, but rather hung up on the wall or socked away in a box. If I spend money on an album, I'm going to listen to it - not leave it unwrapped and hang it on the wall.

I'm all about the experience and memory - as opposed to needing a ticket stub or a framed picture to remind me. I bit ago I read a story from some actor, it was something like he was out motorcycling in the middle of nowhere and stopped at a small diner to have lunch. A couple young girls ran up and wanted his picture.........he said sure and let them take one of them all together. He was going to buy them lunch and chat with them for an hour, but as soon as they took his picture they were absorbed in posting it to facebook, texting it, tweeting it, instagraming it, etc. Sharing the info with their 850 friends was more important than getting a chance to spend a lunch chatting with this actor that they claimed to love. I'd have rather NOT taken a picture with the guy and ate lunch with him, and if he asked me to not share the info as he loved coming to this diner and didn't want thousands of people or the paparazzi to show up - I wouldn't tell people about it.

Does that make sense?

AND just so as to not offend anybody.............this is all my own personal preference. I don't have a problem with collectors and I don't think it's stupid or a bad thing. Everybody is allowed to do whatever makes them happy!!!!!!! More power to you guys.

It just isn't something that I find enjoyable, so I was just curious as to why people did!!!!!!

And THANK YOU all for sharing your stories!!!!!!!

You get through different phases when you collect. I totally understand your topic, I was a big collector in the kind of what you mentioned, and I started to realize I didn't need any of that. It's like those objects had a strange power over me, and I hate to be the slave of something. I was logging on ebay every day to make sure I wasn't missing on something, it was a nightmare.

Now I collect things I enjoy, sometimes it's just that they look good even if I have no use for them. It's just something that reminds you of something . But you definitely shouldn't buy something just for the sake of rarity, this is the worst. I've done it and got back from it. Never ever collect something you don't need just because it's so rare. Just collect because you enjoy the product or if it's useful to you. Because the more you start to collect rare stuff, the more you want to get, and get the biggest collection, and over time it eats you and you become something you don't want to be. Never rely on material stuff just because you think it gives you more power. Objects never give you power, they eat your power, they have power over you and you just become a slave. Just master yourself, be what you want to be, and grab stuff just because it makes you happy and don't care ever what other people are gonna think of it, be it good or bad.

My 2 cents of my collector's past. Good topic.