YouTube views. What do they tell us?

John Bonham

YouTube doesn't mean shit, it's record sales that matter. Slash hasn't even hit gold since leaving VR, and VR was pushed to platinum status with Scott Weiland.

hahaha You realize Axl has the Guns N' Roses name to boost sales right. I'd love to see your GOD Axl Rose have the fucking balls to release an album without using the GnR name. And whata fucking load of shit saying VR was pushed to platimun thanks to Scott. You and you kliq are fucking insane and dellusional. how do you manage simple day to day life?

Say what you want but Scott was the leader of VR and the reason for their success.

Same when he was with STP.

Here's why.

Search Guns N' Roses on Youtube in 2008. You already have a huge palette of results with millions of views a piece. For Axl's new music to breach that wall would be a heavy task when the already established videos are the first things to pop up in the results for "Guns N' Roses". Slash videos don't have to deal with that, at least not to anywhere near that degree.

And I mean, you can call him more popular all you want, but the fact remains that he plays 3000 seat theaters while Axl can still pull in a (comparatively) respectable 8k in the worst scenarios and still fill arenas in opportune places.

But nah, Youtube stats. :rofl-lol:

ribfest

Those are valid points that I didn't consider.

Starlight 2010 has more views than This I Love 2009. That's an apples to apples comparison.

Are you adding the views of all the different This I Loves and all the different Starlights, or are you comparing one video to one video?

he's comparing a proshot officially released video to a bootleg of a show in japan

• Like 1

YouTube views do mean something. It's the same as buying the single off iTunes or buying the album or watching the video on MTV.

Also, there are people in this thread that are making excuses such as "Well, Axl is only doing worse because he didn't promote his work, whereas Slash works to stay in the media and advertise his material." That's true, but it has no bearing on the discussion at hand. It doesn't matter why Slash is doing better than Axl in terms of public popularity, it just matters that he is. This topic wasn't created so much to argue the reason why but more to show that some of the Axl fans are apparently either uninformed or delusional. The numbers don't lie. and this guy apparently did his research and didn't try to skew the results one way or another to fit his own agenda.

I mostly cupcake the GNR discussion boards and very rarely post. That said, I thought this was an interesting thread to read but more importantly a great post by Amish. Your point that resonates with me is that "It doesn't matter why Slash is doing better than Axl in terms of public popularity, it just matters that he is. This topic wasn't created so much to argue the reason why but more to show that some of the Axl fans are apparently either uninformed or delusional". It's such a great point and if I read it correctly your not hating on Axl fans but just pointing out that for whatever reasons they are "uninformed or delusional". I tend to lean more towards being a fan of Axl's projects but I still appreciate Slash as an artist and see him live and buy his records. I would love to participate in a factual conversation in another thread on how each of them have promoted themselves since the break-up and how it may or may not have contributed to the numbers provided in this thread. I find it interesting that the new line-up isn;t getting more hits on Youtube.

I wonder if a conversation like that could happen on this site without the haters on either side making it personal rather than fact.

YouTube doesn't mean shit, it's record sales that matter. Slash hasn't even hit gold since leaving VR, and VR was pushed to platinum status with Scott Weiland.

Record sales don't mean as much as they used to when people download everything now. As for Scott, sure, no one ever denied his contribution and importance to VR, and no one ever claimed the success of that band was all because of Slash. That's the difference between Axl fans and Slash fans, they understand the difference between a solo project and a band.

Maybe people are more interested in Slash's current projects than new gnr however November Rain was predominantly an Axl song which i believe he had to push the others to do despite their derision for big ballads. So in the grand picture Axl's muse is the most popular to the tune of 200 million. It seems like he doesn't always get fair credit for that achievement.

Slash works hard to promote everything he is involved in which I imagine pays off in things like youtube views (that's not meant as sarcasm just a factual reap what you sow type thing). If Axl took the same attitude things might be skewed differently.

How many people outside the forums know what is an Axl song, what is a Slash song, what is an Izzy song, who had to be pushed to play something, etc? The casual fan doesn't know the details, nor do they give a shit. It's about the music. That song still appears on every yearly chart, poll and countdown, along with SCOM, because of Slash's solos, not because a couple of nerds on a forum look at them as Axl's babies.

Again, OP is not ignoring anything.

This is not a thread about WHY Slash is more popular than New GN'R.

I am simply using empirical data to refute someone's claims that Axl is EXPONENTIALLY more successful than Slash.

I know it's hard for many of you to stay unemotional about this, but give it a try.

Here's why.

Search Guns N' Roses on Youtube in 2008. You already have a huge palette of results with millions of views a piece. For Axl's new music to breach that wall would be a heavy task when the already established videos are the first things to pop up in the results for "Guns N' Roses". Slash videos don't have to deal with that, at least not to anywhere near that degree.

And I mean, you can call him more popular all you want, but the fact remains that he plays 3000 seat theaters for 20 bucks a ticket while Axl can still pull in a (comparatively) respectable 8k in the worst scenarios and still fill arenas in opportune places at $100+ a ticket.

But nah, Youtube stats. :rofl-lol:

ribfest

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb when I say Guns N Roses would be a more popular search on youtube than a search for Velvet Revolver or Slash. So people actually had to seek out the latter to view those videos. To scroll thru a page or two to get to other Guns videos besides the staples really doesn't take all that much effort and is just an excuse. Considering the argument that Axl sells a lot more tickets to his shows, and he plays songs from CD at them, it still doesn't seem to translate into people being all that interested in watching their videos.

Again, OP is not ignoring anything.

This is not a thread about WHY Slash is more popular than New GN'R.

I am simply using empirical data to refute someone's claims that Axl is EXPONENTIALLY more successful than Slash.

I know it's hard for many of you to stay unemotional about this, but give it a try.

Who's getting emotional?

I agree that MSL's claim was farfetched, but to retort with YouTube stats and claim it's black and white? Come on man.

OP continues to ignore that in order to determine a superior; you have to establish an area where two entities directly compete.

Slash is absent from this list, GNR aren't: http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/charts2013/2013MidYearTop100WorldwideTours.pdf

Chinese Democracy sold "exponentially" more than any record released by Slash.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 2

Record sales don't mean as much as they used to when people download everything now. As for Scott, sure, no one ever denied his contribution and importance to VR, and no one ever claimed the success of that band was all because of Slash. That's the difference between Axl fans and Slash fans, they understand the difference between a solo project and a band.

Maybe people are more interested in Slash's current projects than new gnr however November Rain was predominantly an Axl song which i believe he had to push the others to do despite their derision for big ballads. So in the grand picture Axl's muse is the most popular to the tune of 200 million. It seems like he doesn't always get fair credit for that achievement.

Slash works hard to promote everything he is involved in which I imagine pays off in things like youtube views (that's not meant as sarcasm just a factual reap what you sow type thing). If Axl took the same attitude things might be skewed differently.

How many people outside the forums know what is an Axl song, what is a Slash song, what is an Izzy song, who had to be pushed to play something, etc? The casual fan doesn't know the details, nor do they give a shit. It's about the music. That song still appears on every yearly chart, poll and countdown, along with SCOM, because of Slash's solos, not because a couple of nerds on a forum look at them as Axl's babies.

They most likely don't. I was just pointing out that the stats show that Axl's vision of what he wanted Guns to be seems to be the most popular era for the band, on YouTube at least. Obviously Slash's solos are a big part of this but I doubt he would have done NR type songs if given free reign. Personally I don't like NR that much but it appears to be the most popular GnR era for the majority.

They most likely don't. I was just pointing out that the stats show that Axl's vision of what he wanted Guns to be seems to be the most popular era for the band, on YouTube at least. Obviously Slash's solos are a big part of this but I doubt he would have done NR type songs if given free reign. Personally I don't like NR that much but it appears to be the most popular GnR era for the majority.

Too bad Axl's current vision can't translate the same way. It certainly makes me see how some people have given him way too much credit individually for the success of the old band, instead of realizing it was a group effort, which he obviously hasn't been able to replicate since.

Edited by Patience 4 Axl

I hope that the people making fun of Slash cause he played in Ribfest are well aware that Axl played in a bowling alley recently. And the guy owns the name Guns n' Roses.

A one off bowling alley show at $100 plus for tickets or a normal career path Ribfest show at $15 a ticket? Tough choice, I just can't decide who I'd rather be. :shrugs:

• Like 2