YouTube views. What do they tell us?

John Bonham

Whats next, is he going to be a judge in idol?

Very possible

Yeah we can see the excitment in people faces...lol

Dude who knows what time exactly the pic was taken? Was it during someone else's set? Between sets? During Dizzy's solo?

Monster Truck were awesome also

Edit: I was kind of shocked how many fans Dizzy has (people kept yelling his name) and how popular Dj is with the fans.

I didn't interview people, people were just talking, and I tell you a lot of people were disapointed, I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it, but that's what it is. This was not a GNR show, if it were the crowd would have been 8000 people (I'm being generous). There were 70 000 people there, a lot of people who are not fans, those people saw a guy hiding under a hat and singing like an impersonator. I'm sorry I wish it was different.

I feel bitterness in your "review"

Will see next time he comes then. I predict 3000 people will attend. That show did more damage than anything.

Hopefully the new colisée will be opened by then.

I hope your not basing your thoughts on the review The Journal de Quebec did? Just like the Journal de Montréal they are shit disturbers. They give bad reviews to every band even Metallica.

Bitter fan that can't accept the fact Guns N' Roses is better than ever. Slash ain't comin' back, give it up

Very possible

Dude who knows what time exactly the pic was taken? Was it during someone else's set? Between sets? During Dizzy's solo?

Edit: I was kind of shocked how many fans Dizzy has (people kept yelling his name) and how popular Dj is with the fans.

I didn't interview people, people were just talking, and I tell you a lot of people were disapointed, I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it, but that's what it is. This was not a GNR show, if it were the crowd would have been 8000 people (I'm being generous). There were 70 000 people there, a lot of people who are not fans, those people saw a guy hiding under a hat and singing like an impersonator. I'm sorry I wish it was different.

Will see next time he comes then. I predict 3000 people will attend. That show did more damage than anything.

I hope your not basing your thoughts on the review The Journal de Quebec did? Just like the Journal de Montréal they are shit disturbers. They give bad reviews to every band even Metallica.

Bitter fan that can't accept the fact Guns N' Roses is better than ever. Slash ain't comin' back, give it up

volcano "alty" strikes again!

Very possible

You should be slapped upside the head for that statement...you are soo fucking wrong that you make wrong seem right. How could anyone with half a brain think this GNR is better when they are so mediocre and stalled out that its a waste of time to think otherwise. they have NOT contributed anything to the music world other than a series of mediocre songs! Good god are you deaf?????

Edited by rockerman
  • Like 2

Very possible

You should be slapped upside the head for that statement...you are soo fucking wrong that you make wrong seem right. How could anyone with half a brain think this GNR is better when they are so mediocre and stalled out that its a waste of time to think otherwise. they have NOT contributed anything to the music world other than a series of mediocre songs! Good god are you deaf?????

He's allowed to have his own opinion.

"Axl is exponentially more successful"

I was up early this morning, and I took some time to do a little research on YouTube. I wanted to see which Guns N' Roses videos had the most views. I was unsurprised by the results.

First, here is the Top Twenty:

01. November Rain (official) 202 million views

02. Don't Cry (official) 101 million views

03. Sweet Child O' Mine (official) 87 million views

04. Paradise City (official) 57 million views

05. Sweet Child O' Mine (official) 51 million views

06. Sweet Child O' Mine (official) 46 million views

07. Knockin' on Heaven's Door (fanmade, classic lineup) 42 million views

08. Patience (official) 40 million views

09. Welcome to the Jungle (official) 37 million views

10. Paradise City (Freddy Mercury tribute) 30 million views

11. Estranged (official video) 26 million views

12. Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Live in Tokyo) 20 million views

13. Knockin' on Heaven's Door (fanmade) 20 million views

14. November Rain (Live wtih Elton John) 18 million views

15. You Could Be Mine (official) 16 million views

16. Civil War (fanmade) 15 million views

17. Knockin' on Heaven's Door (fanmade, classic lineup) 15 million views

18. Since I Don't Have You (official) 15 million views

19. Sweet Child O' Mine (official) 14 million views

20. You Could Be Mine (official) 11 million views

ALL feature the Classic Lineup (no surprise), 13/20 are "official videos." 4 are "fan-made," and the other 3 are "official" live videos (Freddy Mercury Tribute, Live in Tokyo DVD, VMAs '92).

I had to dig a little deeper to find any evidence of New GN'R on the list.

They make their first appearance with a fanmade video of This I Love which has racked-up a respectable 2 million views.

But, what about live performances of New GN'R on YouTube? Does the public want to view those? Apparently, yes.

The top live video of New GN'R is "Buckethead guitar solo (Live, Rock in Rio)" at 1.5 million views.

But, since that video is really just Buckethead solo, I've included the next highest live New GN'R video, Don't Cry (Live in Japan 2007) at 1.5 million views. Not bad.

And... This took me a long time, but buried on page 15, the top live video of a New GN'R "original" song: This I Love (Live in Osaka, 2009) at 700 thousand views. Clearly, This I Love is the new band's most popular original. That is a surprise to me. 700 thousand isn't bad for a 4-year-old video, but to compare, the top live video of a Slash "original" is Starlight (Live at Max Sessions, 2010) with 1 million views.

So, if we go by YouTube views, Starlight is a more popular song, video, ballad, whatever... than This I Love. Is that a surprise to anyone?

Here are some other Slash view-counts:

Slash and Myles Kennedy Sweet Child O' Mine (Live at Max Sessions) 23 million views

That... Is amazing! 23 million views actually puts Myles Kennedy's "Sweet Child" at #12 on the Guns N' Rose Top Twenty. That's more than You Could Be Mine or Since I Don't Have You.

Again, the most views any live video of New GN'R has is "Buckethead guitar solo (Live, Rock in Rio)" at 1.5 million views or Don't Cry (Live in Japan, 2007) at 1.5 million views.

So, that is a staggering, staggering disparity. 23 Million for Slash doing "Sweet Child" live, and 1.5 million for New GN'R playing Don't Cry. Kind of punches holes in the whole "Axl is GN'R" theory, doesn't it? :o

A few more...

Velvet Revolver - Slither (official) has 10 million views. Velvet Revolver - Fall to Pieces has 7 million views.

Slash - By The Sword (official) has 3 million views. Back From Cali (official) has 2.4 million views. Beautiful Dangerous (official) and You're a Lie (official) have 2 million views each.

So, even Back From Cali and You're a Lie have EXPONENTIALLY ;) more views than anything New GN'R-related anywhere on YouTube.

Considering these numbers, I just can't see how anyone would think that New GN'R is more popular than Slash.

Boy, you had quite a bit of time on your hands lol. But honestly, that is excellent research and the stats don't lie. I'm surprised TIL didn't get more views because despite your negative bias towards Axl, it's an incredible ballad.

That being said though, new gnr is NOT bigger than Slash. Most people don't even know nugnr exists.

I put welcome to the jungle on my facebook page-18 likes. I put up a video of this i love- 0 likes. No one in the general public knows or cares about GNR minus Slash, Duff, and izzy at least.

• Like 1

What do record sales tell us though?

I mean, Chinese Democracy was more popular than Contraband in every country except the U.S. What does that mean? *scratches head*

Goes both ways. Chinese Democracy, the single, hit #34 on the top 100 in the US. Peak position of course. Estranged didn't even make that chart. Does that mean chinese is a better song? A lot of people will argue no.

It's amazing how Slash plays much smaller venues than NuNu and still is this Rock Icon everyone loves and talks about. Kudos to Slash!

If everyone loved him he wouldn't be playing super small venues.

I hope that the people making fun of Slash cause he played in Ribfest are well aware that Axl played in a bowling alley recently. And the guy owns the name Guns n' Roses.

The bowling alley gig was a special one off for fans. Ribfest was a serious gig for Slash's band. That was a major festival to them.

Both gigs were embarressing. Unfortunately, we're in a forum where people seem to feel they should take one side over the other.

Sure, if everyone loved Slash he wouldn't be playing small venues. If everyone loved Axl, he wouldn't be playing weddings. If everyone loved Axl, they wouldn't trash him in every piece written about him.

Don't throw stones, you live in a glass home.

Yeah, they were a huge success, thanks EXCLUSIVELY to Scott, right lolcano? :D

Reported for uncalled for personal attack on volcano.

What are you 5 years old? Or you defending Volcano since she can't defend herself? Grow up. Or go ahead and report me the fuck do I care?

Figuredo goes through the motions like John Cena in a match with David Otunga.

For someone who bitches a lot about other posters contributing nothing but shit, you really have issues. You're what, 21? What's up your ass?

I liked your post earlier in this thread, but you should do yourself a favor and keep to contributing and stop bitching like a 21 year old girl. Sorry you're miserable and never get laid in your personal life, but that's no one's problem but your own.

• Like 1

What do record sales tell us though?

I mean, Chinese Democracy was more popular than Contraband in every country except the U.S. What does that mean? *scratches head*

Goes both ways. Chinese Democracy, the single, hit #34 on the top 100 in the US. Peak position of course. Estranged didn't even make that chart. Does that mean chinese is a better song? A lot of people will argue no.

It's amazing how Slash plays much smaller venues than NuNu and still is this Rock Icon everyone loves and talks about. Kudos to Slash!

If everyone loved him he wouldn't be playing super small venues.

I hope that the people making fun of Slash cause he played in Ribfest are well aware that Axl played in a bowling alley recently. And the guy owns the name Guns n' Roses.

The bowling alley gig was a special one off for fans. Ribfest was a serious gig for Slash's band. That was a major festival to them.

Both gigs were embarressing. Unfortunately, we're in a forum where people seem to feel they should take one side over the other.

Sure, if everyone loved Slash he wouldn't be playing small venues. If everyone loved Axl, he wouldn't be playing weddings. If everyone loved Axl, they wouldn't trash him in every piece written about him.

Don't throw stones, you live in a glass home.

Yeah, they were a huge success, thanks EXCLUSIVELY to Scott, right lolcano? :D

Reported for uncalled for personal attack on volcano.

What are you 5 years old? Or you defending Volcano since she can't defend herself? Grow up. Or go ahead and report me the fuck do I care?

Figuredo goes through the motions like John Cena in a match with David Otunga.

For someone who bitches a lot about other posters contributing nothing but shit, you really have issues. You're what, 21? What's up your ass?

I liked your post earlier in this thread, but you should do yourself a favor and keep to contributing and stop bitching like a 21 year old girl. Sorry you're miserable and never get laid in your personal life, but that's no one's problem but your own.

If my calling out shitposters offends you, feel free to whine about it to the mods. Figuredo is clearly just another alt account with no purpose other than stirring shit.

I was up early this morning, and I took some time to do a little research on YouTube. I wanted to see which Guns N' Roses videos had the most views. I was unsurprised by the results.

ALL feature the Classic Lineup (no surprise), 13/20 are "official videos." 4 are "fan-made," and the other 3 are "official" live videos (Freddy Mercury Tribute, Live in Tokyo DVD, VMAs '92).

They make their first appearance with a fanmade video of This I Love which has racked-up a respectable 2 million views.

But, what about live performances of New GN'R on YouTube? Does the public want to view those? Apparently, yes.

The top live video of New GN'R is "Buckethead guitar solo (Live, Rock in Rio)" at 1.5 million views.

But, since that video is really just Buckethead solo, I've included the next highest live New GN'R video, Don't Cry (Live in Japan 2007) at 1.5 million views. Not bad.

And... This took me a long time, but buried on page 15, the top live video of a New GN'R "original" song: This I Love (Live in Osaka, 2009) at 700 thousand views. Clearly, This I Love is the new band's most popular original. That is a surprise to me. 700 thousand isn't bad for a 4-year-old video, but to compare, the top live video of a Slash "original" is Starlight (Live at Max Sessions, 2010) with 1 million views.

So, if we go by YouTube views, Starlight is a more popular song, video, ballad, whatever... than This I Love. Is that a surprise to anyone?

Slash and Myles Kennedy Sweet Child O' Mine (Live at Max Sessions) 23 million views

That... Is amazing! 23 million views actually puts Myles Kennedy's "Sweet Child" at #12 on the Guns N' Rose Top Twenty. That's more than You Could Be Mine or Since I Don't Have You.

Again, the most views any live video of New GN'R has is "Buckethead guitar solo (Live, Rock in Rio)" at 1.5 million views or Don't Cry (Live in Japan, 2007) at 1.5 million views.

So, that is a staggering, staggering disparity. 23 Million for Slash doing "Sweet Child" live, and 1.5 million for New GN'R playing Don't Cry. Kind of punches holes in the whole "Axl is GN'R" theory, doesn't it? :o

A few more...

Velvet Revolver - Slither (official) has 10 million views. Velvet Revolver - Fall to Pieces has 7 million views.

Slash - By The Sword (official) has 3 million views. Back From Cali (official) has 2.4 million views. Beautiful Dangerous (official) and You're a Lie (official) have 2 million views each.

So, even Back From Cali and You're a Lie have EXPONENTIALLY ;) more views than anything New GN'R-related anywhere on YouTube.

Considering these numbers, I just can't see how anyone would think that New GN'R is more popular than Slash.

Nice Job buddy!

Interesting stuff - thanks for researching.

I think this plays a little into the cupcakes' hands tho. Slash works hard - he gigs, he releases music, he does interviews. This makes him a fulfilling artist to follow. The sad thing is that the people who bad-mouth him mainly do it because they're pro-Axl. No amount of reasoning or evidence will change how they go about things.

Slash has an iconic image and should make no apology for this. He is in fact quite realistic about how people regard the top hat etc - he even talked years ago in interviews of his concerns about becoming a 'poor man's mickey mouse' because of his recognisable look.

With the jokes that have gone round here in the last year or two, we can smile ironically at that comment now. And not because we're happy about it.

There're no embarrassing gigs unless it's Adolf Hitler who invites you to play a gig for Waffen SS in Auschwitz.

Or if you're Duff McKagan opening for Axl Rose twice
Why is that embarrassing? Duff is a friend of Axl and just a bassist with a new band....he was able to open for Axl....cool.
  • Like 1

There're no embarrassing gigs unless it's Adolf Hitler who invites you to play a gig for Waffen SS in Auschwitz.

You found that embarrassing? I thought it was cool as hell on both the sides of both camps.

• Like 2

A few more...

Incredible job JB! :)

Where are the Axl Rose disaster videos? Why did you forget about them? :lol:

You found that embarrassing? I thought it was cool as hell on both the sides of both camps.

I found it odd Duff would agree to open for Axl when he was in that band. To me, Duff opened for a band that would be playing some songs he helped write, which is a bit odd. Cool, but still...a bit odd

I found it odd Duff would agree to open for Axl when he was in that band. To me, Duff opened for a band that would be playing some songs he helped write, which is a bit odd. Cool, but still...a bit odd
Duff opened for a cover band that played songs he wrote and made famous. Odd- yes. Cool yes.

Duff opened for a cover band that played songs he wrote and made famous. Odd- yes. Cool yes.

I think Duff was and still is cool with the fact that those other guys learned the songs he wrote or helped write.

Edited by Nosaj Thing