Michael Jackson poll

Towelie

Michael Jackson poll  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know a lot of people like to praise his 90's work, but his best album is Thriller hands down. It may not be everyone's fav, but it is his greatest musical achievement. Anything other than Thriller is just the wrong answer.

As far as classic hit, it's Billie Jean. He wrote it for one, and two he set the world on fire with his performance of that song.

His best rock song is Beat it. For one it was a #1 hit, for 2 it features EVH, and for 3 its just freaking perfect.

Again, others may have songs or albums they like better. But if you look at this from a historical perspective its Thriller, Billie Jean, and Beat it.

Guest Len B'stard

Thriller for the album, and all the singles apart from Way You Make Me Feel, Man in the Mirror and Dirty Diana (Earth Song and You Are Not Alone are a bit naff but they have a certain soppy charm sometimes) and not really a fan of any of the rock songs but Beat Its the best track out of the list.

Edited by sugaraylen

Whoever voted for the Michael album is a tool. Given the circumstances, I wouldn't even include that album. Post death albums are always "fishy".

I have heard Susie yes, but I think most "hardcore" MJ fans overrate that album, just like hardcore gnr fans overrate CD. Both albums are very good yes, but thinking HIStory or CD is better than Thriller or Appetite is just wrong. Everyone is entitled to personal favs yes, but historically speaking it's just incorrect. Thriller is MJ's materpiece and Appetite is gnr's, end of discussion.

I think Off The Wall is Jackson's masterpiece but I agree with your basic point, concerning History and Chinese Democracy (I would actually also apply the argument to Illusion). I do know that Off the Wall is the elitist critics' favourite, I think - I suspect - because it saves them from liking albums with pop videos which could have funded third world countries and albums that sold, simply trillions. It is impossible to be elitist and like Thriller somehow. Also, anything Bad-onwards is a big 'no no' because of the skin changes and the later controversies. But Off The Wall still has a romantic feel of, 'music for music's sake', of, Jackson untarnished.

Off the Wall: elite critics' choice

Thriller: mass population's choice

History: elite hardcore fans' choice.

• Like 1

@DiesilDaisy,

I love Off The Wall. Part of me really wants to agree with you, because it is a great album. But I just can't say that 60 million (or whatever the number of people that bought Thriller are wrong). But as compared to gnr, Off The Wall is more like Lies (even though Appetite came first). You are hardpressed to find a true gnr fan that doesn't like Lies, same goes for Off The Wall. But all things considered I still feel Thriller is better.

If I were to rate them on how they have historically stood up:

1. Thriller

2. Off The Wall

3. Dangerous

4. Bad

5. HIStory

6. Blood on the dance floor

Edited by Mike420

Tough choices, didn't like the ones for best rock song either.

I find it hard to pit the Motown/Jacksons/Off The Wall MJ against Thriller/Bad/Dangerous and likewise the HIStory, BOTDF and Invincible era.

As much as I love stuff like Money, This Time Around or Earth Song Im not sure if I could choose them over Don't Stop Till You Get Enough or Beat It etc...

I got into MJ when BAD had just come out, in a way Smooth Criminal is the epitome of his awesomeness...but I'm not sure if I could pick that.

Human Nature is one of my favourite Michael tracks though, I know he didn't write it etc but that song is such a gift.

Edited by DR DOOM

Historically stood up? No offence, but you sound far too concerned with other peoples perceptions. How about judging the music based on what gives you the most enjoyment?

No offense, but I'm seperating my personal favs from what widely considered to be the best. It's called taking your own opinions out of the equation. Like I personally feel that Blood on the dance floor is completly underrated. If you put a gun to my head, I may take it over HIStory, Dangerous, Invinciable, and perhaps even Bad. But I would be a damn fool to say Blood is better than Thriller. It's called trying to be subjective. Thats why I said its fine that everyone has their personal favs, but the OP said "best" not favorite.

Edited by Mike420
  • Like 1

@DiesilDaisy,

I love Off The Wall. Part of me really wants to agree with you, because it is a great album. But I just can't say that 60 million (or whatever the number of people that bought Thriller are wrong). But as compared to gnr, Off The Wall is more like Lies (even though Appetite came first). You are hardpressed to find a true gnr fan that doesn't like Lies, same goes for Off The Wall. But all things considered I still feel Thriller is better.

If I were to rate them on how they have historically stood up:

1. Thriller

2. Off The Wall

3. Dangerous

4. Bad

5. HIStory

6. Blood on the dance floor

It is so much more sexier and swinging, Off the Wall. Thriller is for the cheesy gits - the type of people who think Use Your Illusion is better than Appetite. There is more soul and blackness in Off the Wall - and it did not need shitty 20 billion videos to flog itself.

I agree that it is his "blackest" or most "soulful" album for sure. But don't sell Thriller short, it's not that far removed from Off The Wall. It has a similiar vibe, but you can hear that he has grown as an artists. Everything after Thriller though is Pop megastardom. Off The Wall and Thriller are his "truest" albums imo.

Another thing I love about Off The Wall is every song is very good, but except for Rock with you and don't stop, none of them are like "super" hits. So I agree with you on that front. The songs Off The Wall and Working day and night are two of my personal MJ favs.

Edited by Mike420