Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

I don't know if anyone here has ever actually seen a Stephen Dillane interview, but the guy in the few interviews he's actually done sounds and talks just like Stannis in real life. He's said almost nothing about the show though down the years compared to the rest of the cast.

He's staring in a tv crime drama at the minute called "The Tunnel" and got asked in a French promo interview about Game of Thrones. This is the supposed translation.

“I am not regretting to have done Game of Thrones, but I have nothing to say about it. I didn’t understand nor the show nor its success when I was part of it.

The experience was very strange, I wasn’t affected by it. In order to like a role, I need to be interested in it, and that wasn’t really the case with Game of Thrones. I was a bit overwelmed by the events.” […] Why, in this case, did he accept the role? After a long and exasperated silence, he answers “Between other things, for the money”.

Maybe it was his choice to jump ship and that's why we didn't get a closer to the book arc. for Stannis last season? I'm giving the show writers too much credit :(.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/14/2016 at 1:12 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

Ian McShane was criticized for giving away some spoilers for season 6. His response was "Get a fucking life, it is only tits and dragons" :lol:

Yeah I saw a news headline about that. That's annoying, not that he did it, but that he was suck a dick about it after. McShane has gone down a few notches in my book (not that he cares).

18 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I don't know if anyone here has ever actually seen a Stephen Dillane interview, but the guy in the few interviews he's actually done sounds and talks just like Stannis in real life. He's said almost nothing about the show though down the years compared to the rest of the cast.

He's staring in a tv crime drama at the minute called "The Tunnel" and got asked in a French promo interview about Game of Thrones. This is the supposed translation.

“I am not regretting to have done Game of Thrones, but I have nothing to say about it. I didn’t understand nor the show nor its success when I was part of it.

The experience was very strange, I wasn’t affected by it. In order to like a role, I need to be interested in it, and that wasn’t really the case with Game of Thrones. I was a bit overwelmed by the events.” […] Why, in this case, did he accept the role? After a long and exasperated silence, he answers “Between other things, for the money”.

Maybe it was his choice to jump ship and that's why we didn't get a closer to the book arc. for Stannis last season? I'm giving the show writers too much credit :(.

That's also sort of upsetting to read. Although maybe that dissociation he felt from it all is what made him such a good Stannis?

He didn't get it because the writers fucked up the character and story. And I support Ian McShane's comments because the show has degraded into "tits and dragons" maybe throw in blood there too. Basically it is a pile of shit and I have very little desire to watch the next season. Most of those actors are probably in it for the money. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

They are running out of ways to shock people. Killing Tyrion is inevitable. 

I don't think they'd kill of Tyrion until the final season even if TWOW was already released and Tyrion died at the start of it. Same with Dany too.

Sure they couldn't care less if it made sense to the characters or their character arcs, but those characters are promoted as the stars of the show. They have something greater than plot armor, marketability. 

That said, I'm not sure where Tyrion's character is going post Meereen in the book and I guess Peter Dinklage could have quit.

This doesn't look good post season 6 if you're a fan.

‘Game of Thrones’ Creators Mull Shorter Final Seasons (EXCLUSIVE)

Game of Thrones” will premiere its highly anticipated sixth season on April 24, but the executive producers say they are considering an abbreviated end game for the hit HBO series.

In an exclusive interview with Variety, showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss said they are weighing wrapping up the Emmy-winning saga of Westeros and the battle for the Iron Throne with just 13 more episodes once this sixth season is over: seven episodes for season 7; six for the eighth and potential final season.

“I think we’re down to our final 13 episodes after this season. We’re heading into the final lap,” said Benioff. “That’s the guess, though nothing is yet set in stone, but that’s what we’re looking at.”

Sources later clarified those exact numbers were premature, given that the showrunners are now just beginning to outline their plans, but said that any upcoming seasons may be shorter than the full 10 episodes of seasons past.

HBO programming president Michael Lombardo acknowledged the showrunners’ plan to wind down the series with two more years. “That’s my understanding from them right now, those have been the conversations we’ve had,” he says. “Because where these narratives go, it feels like another two years to them. As a television executive, as a fan, do I wish they said another six years? I do.”

But, he added, “I’m always an optimist, and I do believe we will figure this out.”

It’s long been speculated that the show would end with season eight; HBO signaled back in January that they were in talks with Weiss and Benioff for two more seasons. Fans might have expected that the two additional seasons would run the usual 10-episode-per-season stretch, but the executive producers say the shorter run will enable them to spend more time per episode. “Thrones” is set to go back into production in July.

To live up to the standard they’ve set for themselves — and fans — Weiss and Benioff said they can’t continue to produce 10 episodes of the show in the show’s usual 12- or 14-month time frame. “It’s crossing out of a television schedule into more of a mid-range movie schedule,” Weiss said.

While the “Game of Thrones” showrunners said the shorter-episode scenario is their hope, HBO executives made it clear there’s no deal yet in place. “We’re still in conversations,” said Lombardo.

Sourcehttp://variety.com/2016/tv/news/game-of-thrones-end-date-season-8-1201752746/

Even if let's say in the final episode of this season...

Spoiler

The Wall comes down and the Others are marching on Winterfell and Danny is in Westros marching on King's Landing.

There's still no way to end the story in 13 episodes. It'd be rushed as fuck and they'd basically have to kill off half the characters left next season and give no closure on half the plot arcs.

Well I guess they did for some reason have season 4 end with Tyrion still thinking Tysha was a whore :P.

I'm not the biggest Cogman fan, but on the blu-ray commentary he said he wrote the scene where Jamie told Tyrion the truth, but D/D just told Cogman just why not just have Jamie kiss Tyrion on the head instead? Cogman thought it was a great idea and thus Tyrion's escape and killing Twyin have a completely different context.

According to asoiaf reddit, the first episode has leaked.

I haven't seen it yet, but prepare yourself for the most bemusement yet if you've read the books.

Spoiler

They take butchering the Dorne storyline to a whole new level.

Seen the screen shots.

Oh and if anyone is curious about the writing process for last season, this is how D/D planned it out.

Spoiler

3EKa6L7.png

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

WARNING RAMBLING RANT POST

Ignoring Jorah finding a small ring in the middle of a giant field that more than 20,000 horses just trampled over and the Dothraki dialogue that a 13 year old must have wrote.

Can anyone still justify the purpose of Dorne in the TV show? How Ellaria just attempted to gain revenge for Oberyn by killing Oberyn's family? How the sandsnakes casually killed the Dorne royal family they grew up with for no reason? That was worse than a "bad pussy" moment.

Notice how the solider Theon killed with a sword, by stabbing him... happened to have a shield over his back. I mean I'm sure they could reshot that. Oh and what happened to the dogs the Boltons had with them, did they do a runner mid-fight?  

RE: The burning of the Meereness navy. In the books Danny/Meereen has no navy at all, but for some reason in a season 4 episode Daario randomly mentions capturing the Meerenese navy, probably because they assumed at that point they wouldn't follow the rest of the books storyline. So what does this mean? Probable TV show spoiler

Spoiler

It means, the Iron Born will probably set off to Meereen after all to bring Danny to Westros and her army. Since there's no Victarion in the show, I guess that means Yara will do it.

Oh and Re; Melisandre It's hinted at in the books in her chapter, it's probably the most likely thing they came up with on their own to happen in the book.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 2