Why Finck prefers NIN over GNR?

Trent is probably more of a boss than Axl is but I'm sure Trent is a very straight-forward guy, without drama, delays and diva stuff like that.

Trent is known as a class A uncaring asshole and a complete dick when it comes to NIN.

But he has every right to be.

He gets shit done and is an artist.

There is drama and there is diva stuff.

Comes with the territory.

Don't try to make Trent into something he is not just because you want to make Axl look bad in the process.

Trent is a control freak who wants things to be exactly as he wants them to be - which is understandable because NIN is Trent and the band are officially hired musicians. He lets them try things and put their own spin on things, so there's some freedom there, but they know when they're signing up it's ultimately his call on everything...

GNR's basically the same thing only without acknowledging that it is. Trent and Axl are my 1 and 2 favourites of all time but there's no "in band drama" with NIN because it's Trent's production. If you can't or won't do what he wants there's a problem, but again, that's the arrangement, everyone is hired to do what he wants.

Yeah, there is no drama in NIN? Don't you know about Dillon's situation and North? Trent is very similar to Axl. And last album is kind of something Axl doing right now. It's sounds and looks like exactly like TDS. Nostalgia act but another kind.

----

But don't get me wrong... I'm fan of NIN and GNR all the same, but I can see true situation...

Edited by loko

Take last albums (The Slip and Hesitation Marks) - it's all the same patterns, the same songs. Till Y_0 every record was different, after that Trent is very repetitive, don't matter if this is NIN or movie score.

Say you're a legit musician. Can you give one reason, just one, just one sensible reason why you'd take a GNR gig over a NIN gig? Let's exclude "because Nin sux n' Axl is God" type reasons. Like I said, something sensible. I can't think of anything.

Bigger payday, better music, better accompanying musicians excluding DJ and Frank, more creative freedom and more free trips around the world. I can think of more, but you only asked for one.

Say you're a legit musician. Can you give one reason, just one, just one sensible reason why you'd take a GNR gig over a NIN gig? Let's exclude "because Nin sux n' Axl is God" type reasons. Like I said, something sensible. I can't think of anything.

Bigger payday, better music, better accompanying musicians excluding DJ and Frank, more creative freedom and more free trips around the world. I can think of more, but you only asked for one.

I'm not entirely convinced any of those are true, all respect due, my man. The only one, maybe, is creative freedom, but only in the most fucked up sense. He had the creative freedom to go into the studio and record hundreds of instrumental parts of his own creation that Axl immediately owned and would never release.

Edited by magisme

I'm not entirely convinced any of those are true, all respect due, my man. The only one, maybe, is creative freedom, but only in the most fucked up sense. He had the creative freedom to go into the studio and record hundreds of instrumental parts of his own creation that Axl immediately owned and would never release.

I'm no nin expert by any stretch, but from my POV it's seemed like Robin just plain enjoyed himself more on stage with GN'R than nin. My sample size is a but skewered in GN'R's direction though. I've only seen Robin with nin once and I saw him with GN'R 3 times. All 3 times I saw him with GN'R (2002 & 2006 x2), he seemed really into it and was really putting on a show. When I saw him with nin (nin/JA tour, 2010 maybe?) he seemed really reserved and almost bored.

Guns plays festivals, headlines major shows everywhere outside of the US and gets paid $1,000,000 for weddings. Which of the "Bigger payday" and "more free trips around the world" are you having issues with? Every top list of anything rock has guns in the top 10 and more often then not the top 5, while NIN lingers in the 20's to 30's at best. Music is subjective, but the vast majority think that Guns music is better. Richard and Ron can handle anything including the Guns parts that Robin couldn't. Two constant keyboardists beat the 1 that NIN has and Tommy is far better at bass IMO, so I'm throwing him in there. :fuckyou: Anything I missed?

Maybe he does get a bigger payday from NIN though, since there he's #! instead of least talented. :shrugs:

:fuckyou: too.

I'm way too stupid about NIN to argue those points with you. I don't even like them much, but they're a pretty damn big, well respected band that seems to do most things right that Axl does wrong. I'll have to let Broski or someone step in to confirm or deny what you're saying. I disagree with you about Finck in relation to the other NuNuNu guitarists, but we don't need to open that can of worms again.

And in case you missed it, :fuckyou: .

• Like 1

I'm way too stupid about NIN to argue those points with you. I don't even like them much, but they're a pretty damn big, well respected band that seems to do most things right that Axl does wrong. I'll have to let Broski or someone step in to confirm or deny what you're saying. I disagree with you about Finck in relation to the other NuNuNu guitarists, but we don't need to open that can of worms again.

Need some salve?

Need some salve?

Just a little, please. You have it on standby? :lol:

Need some salve?

Just a little, please. You have it on standby? :lol:

I always keep it handy just in case.

Edited by Damn_Smooth
  • Like 1

This is by no means an honorable reason, but I suspect the GNR gig entails an extremely rewarding payday. Why else would Richard Fortus have declined NIN and David Bowie?

No way does Axl's nostalgia touring generate as much money as NINs tours. No way.

I hope you're not responding to my post, because my point has absolutely nothing to do with your point.

I suggested that GNR offers a more lucrative salary given that Richard Fortus declined both NIN and Bowie, in order to stay with GNR.

This is by no means an honorable reason, but I suspect the GNR gig entails an extremely rewarding payday. Why else would Richard Fortus have declined NIN and David Bowie?

Maybe. I don't know what these guys make.

No way does Axl's nostalgia touring generate as much money as NINs tours. No way.

I think the pyros eat up the GNR budget.

Rob Sheridan probably gets the second biggest check, except when they're doing the bare bones shows. Some bands don't want to bother with pyros because of the fire risks, but they still have to worry about electric shock and stages falling apart.

I can use GN´R/ Axl Rose for my own benefit, from media attention/self promotion to financial security.

This is factually inaccurate and you are either trolling or extremely ignorant about NIN. We don't know their paychecks. Music is subjective.

However, better accompanying musicians? Wrong. Once again I'll point to Pino Palladino, Mike Garson, Trent Reznor, Lisa Fischer and Adrian Belew just to name a few. These are world class musicians with easily more talent than anyone who's ever been in GNR with the exception of Ron and Buckethead. You don't have to like NIN to be able to acknowledge this.

More creative freedom? In NIN Robin gets to play far more instruments, songs, styles of music all in different arrangements each tour. He has access to a larger catalogue and gets to put his spin on it and change that spin constantly. In GNR he worked on music for a decade, and has only one writing credit to show for it so far, and in a live setting he just played the same 15 old songs and a handful of new. Yes, he got to put his own spin on those too, but for one NIN tour leg he does just as much if not more in that regard than he did in the entirety of his time in GNR. Again, an indisputable fact.

More free trips around the world - factually incorrect once again. A simple look at touring history will show you that he has traveled more with NIN than GNR.

Guns plays festivals, headlines major shows everywhere outside of the US and gets paid $1,000,000 for weddings.

NIN play festivals and headline major shows everywhere both outside the US and inside the US. Robin wasn't in the bad when the wedding gigs took place iirc. What's your point?

Every top list of anything rock has guns in the top 10 and more often then not the top 5, while NIN lingers in the 20's to 30's at best. Music is subjective, but the vast majority think that Guns music is better.

And about your "lists" - lol. As if online music lists have any credibility. Not to mention that NIN are hardly a rock band and haven't really been one for quite some time. The vast majority do not think that GNR are better. GNR are more popular so the vast majority know them over NIN. But those who know both prefer NIN. You're just making stuff up here.

Richard and Ron can handle anything including the Guns parts that Robin couldn't. Two constant keyboardists beat the 1 that NIN has and Tommy is far better at bass IMO, so I'm throwing him in there. :fuckyou:

Perhaps the dumbest thing you've posted. First off, everyone plays keyboards in NIN and it's not clear if there will be a set keyboard player with this current lineup. But I assume you're talking about Alessandro Cortini in which case you are absolutely 1000% wrong. He has more talent than Dizzy and Chris combined and this is coming from someone who adores Chris.

And as for bass, again it's unclear if there is a set bassist so I can only assume you're referring to the most recent one - Pino Palladino. If you think Tommy is more talented than Pino you are a moron. Simple as that. Pino is considered one of the most talented musicians on the planet, and perhaps the greatest bassist ever. You're insane.

This is factually inaccurate and you are either trolling or extremely ignorant about NIN. We don't know their paychecks. Music is subjective.

However, better accompanying musicians? Wrong. Once again I'll point to Pino Palladino, Mike Garson, Trent Reznor, Lisa Fischer and Adrian Belew just to name a few. These are world class musicians with easily more talent than anyone who's ever been in GNR with the exception of Ron and Buckethead. You don't have to like NIN to be able to acknowledge this.

More creative freedom? In NIN Robin gets to play far more instruments, songs, styles of music all in different arrangements each tour. He has access to a larger catalogue and gets to put his spin on it and change that spin constantly. In GNR he worked on music for a decade, and has only one writing credit to show for it so far, and in a live setting he just played the same 15 old songs and a handful of new. Yes, he got to put his own spin on those too, but for one NIN tour leg he does just as much if not more in that regard than he did in the entirety of his time in GNR. Again, an indisputable fact.

More free trips around the world - factually incorrect once again. A simple look at touring history will show you that he has traveled more with NIN than GNR.

Guns plays festivals, headlines major shows everywhere outside of the US and gets paid $1,000,000 for weddings.

NIN play festivals and headline major shows everywhere both outside the US and inside the US. Robin wasn't in the bad when the wedding gigs took place iirc. What's your point?

Every top list of anything rock has guns in the top 10 and more often then not the top 5, while NIN lingers in the 20's to 30's at best. Music is subjective, but the vast majority think that Guns music is better.

And about your "lists" - lol. As if online music lists have any credibility. Not to mention that NIN are hardly a rock band and haven't really been one for quite some time. The vast majority do not think that GNR are better. GNR are more popular so the vast majority know them over NIN. But those who know both prefer NIN. You're just making stuff up here.

Richard and Ron can handle anything including the Guns parts that Robin couldn't. Two constant keyboardists beat the 1 that NIN has and Tommy is far better at bass IMO, so I'm throwing him in there. :fuckyou:

Perhaps the dumbest thing you've posted. First off, everyone plays keyboards in NIN and it's not clear if there will be a set keyboard player with this current lineup. But I assume you're talking about Alessandro Cortini in which case you are absolutely 1000% wrong. He has more talent than Dizzy and Chris combined and this is coming from someone who adores Chris.

And as for bass, again it's unclear if there is a set bassist so I can only assume you're referring to the most recent one - Pino Palladino. If you think Tommy is more talented than Pino you are a moron. Simple as that. Pino is considered one of the most talented musicians on the planet, and perhaps the greatest bassist ever. You're insane.

Too easy.

Ron can do things with a guitar that NO other guitarist has ever been able to, and Richard turned down NIN. Tommy is easily the most influential member that has ever been involved with either Guns or NIN, so he gets the nod out of respect. Deal with it.

Which band does he have the freedom to play music he wrote again? Yup, another point proven. You're 0-2 so far.

NIN headlines no festivals. Dream on. A GN'R wedding makes as much as a NIN show. That is the point.

It's not "online lists", it's every list. Print, television, you name it. Guns places way higher each and every time. Sorry.

Keyboards suck, I'll give you 1 point so as not to totally crush your spirit.

Next?

Edited by Damn_Smooth

You come off as incredibly ignorant about music. And you're grasping at straws here. Nice way to ignore 90% of my post - gee I wonder why?

So now we've gone from "far more talented" to most influential? Lol. You're full of shit. I assume your argument is that he played bass in The Replacements? Nice try. Pino Palladino defined popular music in the 80s and changed the way bass was utilized in pop music. He is by far more influential than a band like The Replacements which made no impact. Yes, they influenced bands. Mostly shit bands, but unlike you I can actually look at stuff objectively instead of running off my mouth when I have no factual information to back any of it up. But Pino is more influential. Anyone who has a basic understanding of music history knows this. Clearly you don't.

NIN headlines festivals all the fucking time you nitwit. They headlined festivals all Summer. They're headlining some more later this year. Primavera Sound off the top of my head along with several others.

"Keyboards suck" - yeah when you play generic bullshit sprinkled in with some bongo hits here and there. Try listening to good music for a change.

Edited by Broskirose

"Blah Blah Blah, personal insults, no knowledge of anything, my opinion is better than yours!"

LOL pop music and Primavera.

You're done, kid. I have no use for you any more.

I would expect better from a supposed representative of the forum though. Especially one that does nothing for his title. That's just me though, no offense. :shrugs:

You've been factually proven wrong on everything you've posted. You can say "I'm done" all you want, but it doesn't change anything.

NIN headlines the same exact festivals that GNR play - this is a fact. Robin has playd among more influential musicians in NIN - this is a fact.

When you're proven wrong, just don't say anything. "LOL" in all caps won't change anything.

Btw Primavera Sound Festival is one of the greatest and most acclaimed festivals in the world. Not that I would except you to know anything about that. God, you are ignorant.