L.A. Guns frontman praises Axl as "The Eddie Van Halen of singers"

62362_615183828552486_1278121713_n.jpg

British vocalist PHIL LEWIS recently performed to 180 people at Manifesto Bar in São Paulo, Brazil, and gave an interview to local LoKaos Rock Show, when, amongst many topics, discussed his time with GIRL, the crazy 80’s hard rock era, Nikki Sixx and his book, Tracii Guns, and praised Guns N’ Roses frontman W. AXL ROSE as “The Eddie Van Halen of all singers”.

Check out the video below:

I wonder if the same people who bash 80's rock will now swing from the nuts of Phil Lewis/L.A. Guns since he praised Axl. I can't keep up with the 50 people who have been in L.A. Guns but I think this particular lineup does not have Tracii Guns. At one point there were two different L.A. Guns out on the road at once. I think Tracii owned one and the drummer Steve Riley owned another.

I followed LA Guns up until about 92.

There first two albums LA GUNS and Cocked n Loaded where pretty good not great but pretty good.

Hollywood Vampires there 3rd album is where they lost me it was like they made a record out in left feild and the sound just didn't work for them, it had at best a couple of songs on it that where ok.

After that I have no idea what they done.

I was listening to LA Guns folder on my usb in the car about 3 weeks ago. That probly satisfied my craving for LA Guns for the next year or so.

The Ballad Of Jayne kicks ass. Remember when Tracii wanted to rejoin Gn'R (and take Bucket's spot I think) but he couldn't get past Beta or whoever to audition? It's not just a shame what happened to Jayne but also that Tracii Guns wasn't allowed to talk to Axl. I think Tracii is an underrated guitarist and would be a better fit than any of the current guys.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

What's that story about traci wanting to rejoin guns ?

In or around 2002, Tracii was pretty vocal about wanting to get back in gnr (this was also when he started his version of LA Guns). Which it might not of been a bad fit, if he had rejoined gnr, but it went against Axl' (at that time) forward thinking. Axl was looking for new guys, not old ones, so I'm not suprised Tracii was never really considered. Also considering that Tracii has played on pretty much every gnr tribute album that has ever been made, doesn't really make him seem very appealing imo.

Playing wise, Tracii is sort of in between Eddie Van Halen and Slash, not as good as either, but has some of their attributes. When I think of all the great guitar players to come out of LA during the late 70's and 80's, Tracii is nowhere near the top. middle of the list at best, which isn't bad, but not great. He is better than Ashba imo, but Ashba is more current, so that helps his case.

The only reason why I would ever be ok with him rejoining gnr, is because he literally is the GUNS in Guns n' Roses. But if you go back and look at his and Axl's relationship, it's been even more turbulant than him and Slash. They would start a band together, one of them would quit, then eventually they would try again. They must of quit and gotten back together at least 5 times. So that tells me something obviously wasn't working. Plus when the two of them finally parted ways for good, they both had their greatest success. I think Axl is aware of this, Tracii on the other hand, probably not. He just seems desperate for something. He was on that metal show a while back, he seemed a little "off" then imo as well.

Back in the day when I was really into all the so called "hair bands"...I loved those first two L.A. Guns albums, especially the first one. Of course they were not even close to being in the same league as GNR (who I don't consider to be a "hair band"), but IMO on those first two albums anyway...L.A. Guns was better than Motley, Skid Row, etc.

Edited by foghat43

Back in the day when I was really into all the so called "hair bands"...I loved those first two L.A. Guns albums, especially the first one. Of course they were not even close to being in the same league as GNR (who I don't consider to be a "hair band"), but IMO on those first two albums anyway...L.A. Guns was better than Motley, Skid Row, etc.

Sorry - but I respectfully disagree.

LA Guns had a couple decent songs, but they were ultimately forgettable. Take a band like Poison. You either loved them or you hated them with a passion. Say the name Poison in 1990 or 2010 and you'll get a reaction. But LA Guns? Nothing. Boring and bland. I had all their albums back in the day. I really liked Never Enough, Sex Action, One Way Ticket - they had some decent songs. But at the end of the day, they were easily disposable and none of their songs have stood the test of time. Nothing they did was original, nothing was outstanding, nothing was memorable, nothing showed creativity or passion. They were just..........bland.

You and Tracii Guns are probably the only two people in the world who would even put them in the same sentence as Motley Crue and Skid Row. People forget that Motley Crue wasn't just another "hair band" but they were one of the bands that really made that type of music popular. They were there before hair metal was popular. They are one of the bands that started that genre. And comparing them to skid row is like saying that Miley Cyrus is a better singer than Janis or Whitney. Monkey Business, 18 and Life, Youth Gone Wild, I remember You, Wasted Time, In A Darkened Room............nothing LA Guns did even comes close to those songs.

Basically, even in their prime and at the top of their success, LA Guns were never anything more than a "safe" opening band. They were a cheese pizza with light sauce.

Foghat - I generally like most of your posts and you seem like a cool dude. I just think that you missed the boat on this one.

LA Guns had a couple decent songs, but they were ultimately forgettable. Take a band like Poison. You either loved them or you hated them with a passion. Say the name Poison in 1990 or 2010 and you'll get a reaction. But LA Guns? Nothing. Boring and bland. I had all their albums back in the day. I really liked Never Enough, Sex Action, One Way Ticket - they had some decent songs. But at the end of the day, they were easily disposable and none of their songs have stood the test of time. Nothing they did was original, nothing was outstanding, nothing was memorable, nothing showed creativity or passion. They were just..........bland.

You and Tracii Guns are probably the only two people in the world who would even put them in the same sentence as Motley Crue and Skid Row. People forget that Motley Crue wasn't just another "hair band" but they were one of the bands that really made that type of music popular. They were there before hair metal was popular. They are one of the bands that started that genre. And comparing them to skid row is like saying that Miley Cyrus is a better singer than Janis or Whitney. Monkey Business, 18 and Life, Youth Gone Wild, I remember You, Wasted Time, In A Darkened Room............nothing LA Guns did even comes close to those songs.

Basically, even in their prime and at the top of their success, LA Guns were never anything more than a "safe" opening band. They were a cheese pizza with light sauce.

Foghat - I generally like most of your posts and you seem like a cool dude. I just think that you missed the boat on this one.

I agree with you that LA Guns don't have the same sort of legacy that bands like Motley and Poison have, but I would rate them as one of the better rock bands from that era. The thing is, they just never had "the hit." They had a few popular songs, but nothing like "Round and Round," "Talk Dirty to Me," "Home Sweet Home," etc. But their first three albums were all pretty strong and their last several from around 2000 on up have all been good. Hollywood Forever is very good. I posted a song from it on page one of this thread.

As for Janis and Whitney... They both had great voices, but only one of them sang great songs, the other wasted their talent singing shit, IMHO, of course.

Edited by RichardNixon

Yes, I agree with you...objectively speaking I would easily say that Motley and Skid Row were the better bands...no argument here. When I said L.A. Guns were "better", I really meant that I liked them better as a personal preference (that's why I qualified it with "IMO"). I loved the first two Motley albums, the rest I wasn't that crazy about. And I liked Skid Row a lot too. I just liked those first two L.A. Guns albums better...can't really explain why and I'm not trying to convince anyone that they were actually the better band...again subjective/personal preference versus objective opinion. As for not standing the test of time...for me that statement applies to all of those "hair bands" including Motley and Skid Row. Looking back on it now, other than GNR, that whole scene and era of 80's hair metal seems really lame and cheesy. I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Crue, Skid Row, or L.A.Guns nor do I really care to...but I listen to GnR almost daily.

What's that story about traci wanting to rejoin guns ?

Scott - Have you talked to Axl Rose lately?

Guns - No, I communicate anything I want to say to Axl through Del James*. I write to Del if I need to contact him.

Scott - So Axl really has completely shut himself off from the world?

Guns - He's a fucking nut.

Scott - Have you ever thought of rejoining Guns n Roses?

Guns - Absolutely, when Nikki had to do the Crue thing I called Del and told him I have a year and a half off but, they were not done with the record yet, the timing was not right.

Scott - What is the craziest thing you ever saw Axl do?

Guns - Our friend Michelle was getting ecstasy long before it became a popular drug. Axl is bipolar and he was doing it, it made him mean. The guy I was living with for the past two years was now crazy.

http://www.glitzine.net/intervjuer/traciguns_interview.htm

I'd take those cheesy hair-bands over most of the anemic hipster crap that passes for rock these days, i.e., Vampire Weekend.

I agree 100%.

Vampire Weekend is way overhyped, but I'd listen to them every day of the week rather than listen to pretty much any hair band album even once.