L.A. Guns frontman praises Axl as "The Eddie Van Halen of singers"

I'd take those cheesy hair-bands over most of the anemic hipster crap that passes for rock these days, i.e., Vampire Weekend.

I agree 100%.

Vampire Weekend is way overhyped, but I'd listen to them every day of the week rather than listen to pretty much any hair band album even once.

To each his own...but personally I see no point in listening to either 80s hair metal nor today's anemic hipster crap, but if there was a gun to my head forcing me to choose...I'd take L.A. Gun's first album over Vampire Weekend.

Edited by foghat43

Back in the day when I was really into all the so called "hair bands"...I loved those first two L.A. Guns albums, especially the first one. Of course they were not even close to being in the same league as GNR (who I don't consider to be a "hair band"), but IMO on those first two albums anyway...L.A. Guns was better than Motley, Skid Row, etc.

Sorry - but I respectfully disagree.

LA Guns had a couple decent songs, but they were ultimately forgettable. Take a band like Poison. You either loved them or you hated them with a passion. Say the name Poison in 1990 or 2010 and you'll get a reaction. But LA Guns? Nothing. Boring and bland. I had all their albums back in the day. I really liked Never Enough, Sex Action, One Way Ticket - they had some decent songs. But at the end of the day, they were easily disposable and none of their songs have stood the test of time. Nothing they did was original, nothing was outstanding, nothing was memorable, nothing showed creativity or passion. They were just..........bland.

You and Tracii Guns are probably the only two people in the world who would even put them in the same sentence as Motley Crue and Skid Row. People forget that Motley Crue wasn't just another "hair band" but they were one of the bands that really made that type of music popular. They were there before hair metal was popular. They are one of the bands that started that genre. And comparing them to skid row is like saying that Miley Cyrus is a better singer than Janis or Whitney. Monkey Business, 18 and Life, Youth Gone Wild, I remember You, Wasted Time, In A Darkened Room............nothing LA Guns did even comes close to those songs.

Basically, even in their prime and at the top of their success, LA Guns were never anything more than a "safe" opening band. They were a cheese pizza with light sauce.

Foghat - I generally like most of your posts and you seem like a cool dude. I just think that you missed the boat on this one.

Yes, I agree with you...objectively speaking I would easily say that Motley and Skid Row were the better bands...no argument here. When I said L.A. Guns were "better", I really meant that I liked them better as a personal preference (that's why I qualified it with "IMO"). I loved the first two Motley albums, the rest I wasn't that crazy about. And I liked Skid Row a lot too. I just liked those first two L.A. Guns albums better...can't really explain why and I'm not trying to convince anyone that they were actually the better band...again subjective/personal preference versus objective opinion. As for not standing the test of time...for me that statement applies to all of those "hair bands" including Motley and Skid Row. Looking back on it now, other than GNR, that whole scene and era of 80's hair metal seems really lame and cheesy. I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Crue, Skid Row, or L.A.Guns nor do I really care to...but I listen to GnR almost daily.

It's all good man, and I completely understand what you are saying. Music is all about personal preference. I feel the same way about Warrant that you do about LA Guns. They had some great rock albums that the general rock public never really gave a chance. And they were a great live band as well. But most people will always just remember them as the Cherry Pie and Heaven guys.

GnR was a step above all those bands. Tho I can still listen to some specific Motley and Skid Row stuff now. A lot of that era's music is really bad and doesn't hold up now.

I was really into LA Guns when they first came out. They spent a lot of time in my cassette deck and Walkman.

I'd take those cheesy hair-bands over most of the anemic hipster crap that passes for rock these days, i.e., Vampire Weekend.

I agree 100%.

Vampire Weekend is way overhyped, but I'd listen to them every day of the week rather than listen to pretty much any hair band album even once.

To each his own...but personally I see no point in listening to either 80s hair metal nor today's anemic hipster crap, but if there was a gun to my head forcing me to choose...I'd take L.A. Gun's first album over Vampire Weekend.

I agree 100%.

Be proud to say that you like LA Guns or any other so-called "hair band."

Warren Demartini, Don Dokken, Tracii Guns, etc. those guys could play and they wrote some great songs.

This isn't directed at you, but in general; it's just really silly to dismiss a band because of a certain look. Those were the times. I mean Pantera, Ozzy, Alice In Chains, etc. all did the whole "hair band thing" too.

Sure, a lot of 80s rock is shit, but there's some great music there as well.

Honestly, what would you rather listen to:

or

Eddie is considered an asshole.....I don't think it was a compliment

For 1, Who considers Eddie an asshole and for 2, he was refrencing the fact that Eddie is considered head and shoulders above the rest. So it was very much a compliment.

Read Sammy Hagar's book. It doesn't paint Eddie in the best light.

But who cares? Eddie is a genius and Van Halen's last album was, hands down, the best hard-rock album of its type in ages.

Eddie knows how to write killer pop hooks. With all due respect to the man, what hook has Axl come up with?

Do what? Surely you don't think Sweet Child O' Mine went to #1 on the pop charts strictly because of Slash's guitar playing. Last I checked, Elvis Presley and Garth Brooks didn't write the guitar notes in their songs either, yet they've sold a shitload more records than just about anyone other than the Beatles. Vocal melody is every bit as important as any other musical element in connecting with the audience. Axl was a genius at coming up with great vocal melodies.

Eddie knows how to write killer pop hooks. With all due respect to the man, what hook has Axl come up with?

he has the market cornered on singing "yie yie yie"

live and let die-yie

sweet child o mi-yie-ne

there was a ti-yi- me

Edited by axl666axl666

I'm a VH fan, but I've definitely heard it said that he can be very difficult etc.

'He is the five-octave singing genius - the Eddie Van Halen of singing.'

Eddie is widely regarded - whether rightly or wrongly - as the superlative rock guitarist. Lewis wasn't making any point about personality, he was lauding Axl as a true great (of rock singing).

When you consider the content of Lewis' response, and the tone of awe in which he said it, it's baffling how anybody could deduct negativity.

I'm not a huge fan of EVH, not necessarily because of his playing which is undeniably phenomenal but the fact that every guitarist in the 80's not named Slash cheaply and poorly ripped him off. He inspired a generation of shitty masturbatory guitarists. It's like what Michael Jordan did to basketball, great when he did it but all anyone remembers are the dunks so now no one plays defense.

Edited by TeeJay410
  • Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of EVH, not necessarily because of his playing which is undeniably phenomenal but the fact that every guitarist in the 80's not named Slash cheaply and poorly ripped him off. He inspired a generation of shitty masturbatory guitarists. It's like what Michael Jordan did to basketball, great when he did it but all anyone remembers are the dunks so now no one plays defense.

Good post.

Guest Len B'stard

And lofty were the heights from whence Axls praises were echoed :lol: As endorsements go it's hardly George Martin calling you the best songwriter of your generation, isn't it?

Edited by sugaraylen

I'm a VH fan, but I've definitely heard it said that he can be very difficult etc.

'He is the five-octave singing genius - the Eddie Van Halen of singing.'

Eddie is widely regarded - whether rightly or wrongly - as the superlative rock guitarist. Lewis wasn't making any point about personality, he was lauding Axl as a true great (of rock singing).

When you consider the content of Lewis' response, and the tone of awe in which he said it, it's baffling how anybody could deduct negativity.

Dude please note my comment (that sparked this off) was I thought this might have been a back handed compliment.

Emphasis on the thought, as in when I read the title of the thread- I didn't say I think this was a back handed compliment.

The defence rests :P