Geffen and Warner Brothers

Padme

Warner was distributing Geffen at the time. Geffen was an independent label and Geffen put up all the financing in exchange for 50% of the profits, as I understand it. I read that somewhere, don't remember where. The Geffen/Warner relationship came to an end after MCA/Universal bought Geffen in 1990.

Warner was distributing Geffen at the time. Geffen was an independent label and Geffen put up all the financing in exchange for 50% of the profits, as I understand it. I read that somewhere, don't remember where. The Geffen/Warner relationship came to an end after MCA/Universal bought Geffen in 1990.

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you. So Warner made a lot of money with GN´R and all the bands signed by Geffen back in the day. Maybe Axl should think about negotiating a deal with Warner and leave Interscope/Universal... If he wants to make more albums

Would Warner want him?

He is still Axl Rose after all. He should try. He might even get much better managers. With TB and Universal it is clear he is not going anywhere, not in the long term. Axl has said in interviews that the current label didn´t help him in any way.

He liked Universal and disliked Interscope. Iovine did a relaunch of Geffen Records in 2011 and had it relocated to New York, which likely means the people Axl was dealing with are no longer there, and it's probably less people. Maybe he was also taking care of record company issues and putting the concert film out when he was in NY.

Would Warner want him?

Axl has said in interviews that the current label didn´t help him in any way.

This begs the question why even stay on a major label? From my understanding, the only reason to be on a major label is they help break bands finacially. But if they are not putting money towards promotion, why even be there. Guns n' Roses doesn't need a "break" like up and coming artists do, so finacially is really the only reason to be on a major. Unless axl just likes the clout of being on a major, but if they are just making things difficult, then why bother? Axl could release music independantly and nothing would change, being Axl Rose and Guns n' Roses opens all the same doors that Interscope does. Loyality to Geffen is really the only reason to stick with them, that and being under contract I suppose.

Would Warner want him?

This begs the question why even stay on a major label? From my understanding, the only reason to be on a major label is they help break bands finacially. But if they are not putting money towards promotion, why even be there. Guns n' Roses doesn't need a "break" like up and coming artists do, so finacially is really the only reason to be on a major. Unless axl just likes the clout of being on a major, but if they are just making things difficult, then why bother? Axl could release music independantly and nothing would change, being Axl Rose and Guns n' Roses opens all the same doors that Interscope does. Loyality to Geffen is really the only reason to stick with them, that and being under contract I suppose.

Geffen as we knew back in 1987 no longer exists. Geffen/interscope was bought by Universal in 98 or 99. That´s when Duff and Slash got dropped. They kept Axl because of GN´R. But we all know they released Greatest Hits without band´s members in agreement. Then the whole CD saga. Then CD got released. And according to Axl they did nothing to promote the album nor tours. So Axl has been complaning about Universal for the last 5 years or more. I don´t know what the current state of affairs is between Axl and Universal. Assuming Axl is telling the truth. And the record company is lacking to support him. Then Axl should try to make a deal with another label if he wants to make more albums. There isn´t much out there though. It could be either Sony or Warner. They owned many of the old labels that used to exist.

Nowadays the entertainment industry is monopolised by three big conglomerates..

Universal Music Group

Sony Music Entertainment

Warner Music Group

These three have literally bought-up everything, Geffen, MCA, Polygram, EMI etc. It is the same as the film industry. We live in the age of conglomerates.

You hear about bands starting indie labels all the time, or just plain doing it on their own, that was my point. Why does Axl even need a major label at this point?

I guess he is hoping and wating for a change in industry. But if the industry decides to focus on rock music,they will be out there looking for new bands

• 3 weeks later...

Would Warner want him?

He's probably still under a big contract with them and leaving would lose him not only a lot of money but also everything he's recorded for them.