Civil war intro-Cool hand Luke

I saw this movie so long ago, but my son told me about it.

I love how Axl finds so many unique phrases for his songs. To take the time to do this is just amazing to me.

I've often wondered how he had the time to do it while working 60-70 hour weeks.

Though I agree, it really is just amazing how a singer is able to work in unique phrases into his songs.

And why do you mention your son in almost every post you make?

Never actually seen the movie. It's also in Madagascar.

"What we've got here is"

Fear

That power that can make a way out of no way.

"Failure to communicate"

Fixed. But yeah, I like the quotes and stuff even if people think it's too much.

I doubt Axl just said "I want cool quotes for this song" I would guess it was stuff that

already inspired him in some way.

Guest Len B'stard

I love how Axl finds so many unique phrases for his songs. To take the time to do this is just amazing to me.

How'd you work that out? :lol: It'd be more amazing and impressive to me if somebody, anybody could draw some kind of association between the song and the quote so as to perhaps show on whats so amazing about it, cuz to be honest it always seemed kinda random to me. War is a result of our failure to communicate with our fellow man perhaps? Well if thats the case then why have the bit where it's like 'so we can git what we had here last week which is the way he wants it, well he gets it. i don't like it anymore than you men', thats kinda REALLY specific to the film, isn't it, to Paul Newman and repeatedly trying to escape off that chain gang, what the fucks it got to do with the song?

I don't think it really takes time, I mean he's basically just put a quote from a film which has a really really really really convoluted association with the message of a song, thats really not difficult, not at all, you could do it with any song, like right now, sitting here, like OK, for example take a song like No God by The Germs, which is basically about there not being a God and, thematically is like, to do with war against God or going against God...and if I were to pick a random movie quote with a vague association to the topic to tack onto that you could take the scene from The Ten Commandments where Moses opens the red sea and barrs the Pharoah, played by Yul Brynner, with a pillar of fire and his commander in chief begs him to turn back and retreat:

Commander in Chief: He opens the waters before them...and he barrs our way with fire, lets us go great one, men cannot fight against the God

Pharoah: Better to die in battle with God than live in shame!

There you go, movie quote, from the 50s, tacked onto a song with a vague thematic association...now tell me I'm amazing :D

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

How'd you work that out? :lol: It'd be more amazing and impressive to me if somebody, anybody could draw some kind of association between the song and the quote so as to perhaps show on whats so amazing about it, cuz to be honest it always seemed kinda random to me. War is a result of our failure to communicate with our fellow man perhaps? Well if thats the case then why have the bit where it's like 'so we can git what we had here last week which is the way he wants it, well he gets it. i don't like it anymore than you men', thats kinda REALLY specific to the film, isn't it, to Paul Newman and repeatedly trying to escape off that chain gang, what the fucks it got to do with the song?

I don't think it really takes time, I mean he's basically just put a quote from a film which has a really really really really convoluted association with the message of a song, thats really not difficult, not at all, you could do it with any song, like right now, sitting here, like OK, for example take a song like No God by The Germs, which is basically about there not being a God and, thematically is like, to do with war against God or going against God...and if I were to pick a random movie quote with a vague association to the topic to tack onto that you could take the scene from The Ten Commandments where Moses opens the red sea and barrs the Pharoah, played by Yul Brynner, with a pillar of fire and his commander in chief begs him to turn back and retreat:

Commander in Chief: He opens the waters before them...and he barrs our way with fire, lets us go great one, men cannot fight against the God

There you go, movie quote, from the 50s, tacked onto a song with a vague thematic association...now tell me I'm amazing :D

yeah well that's just like your opinion man

Guest Len B'stard

What, its my opinion that its easy to tack a vaguely associated movie soundbyte to a song? RZA almost does it for a living, over about 30 odd albums.

Edited by sugaraylen

I agree that it's totally random thematically, as is Vanishing Point for Breakdown and the other one for Knockin' On Heaven's Door, but they all work musically though. They're very musical quotes, to put this way, they sound good and they fit the music in the background very well, especially in Civil War (the guerrilla war quote later in the song works very well too in this sense). I would still rather have the songs without them (especially Breakdown), but if I had to make an exception I would definitely keep the Cool Hand Luke one.

:lol: You're delusional. Do you think Axl wrote Civil War then watched a lot of movies for months trying to find the right quote? LOL

He's simply a fan of the movie, remembered it and though he could use it -- if the one who made the decision was really him.

• Like 1

:lol: You're delusional. Do you think Axl wrote Civil War then watched a lot of movies for months trying to find the right quote? LOL

He's simply a fan of the movie, remembered it and though he could use it -- if the one who made the decision was really him.

of course it was him, he's always quoting movies and stuff in concerts and some interviews too.

of course it was him, he's always quoting movies and stuff in concerts and some interviews too.

I think it's the perfect fit for the song. Well done.

And yes, he's always quoting movies, remember that "I'd buy that for a dollar" in Chile 1992? :lol:

Edited by Nosaj Thing