Best voice in 2010... NOT?

I've been reading a lot of threads about Axl's voice in the forum. I admit that he was amazing in 2010 but in this two decades his best has been in 06 for sure. There is no doubt.

The rasp in this is AMAZING! Its a fucking bad ass performance which I wish I could see in the South American tour. (I'm going to the Bs As one, from Uruguay)

This is from the Rock Am Ring concert in Germany. Ill leave it down below if you want to see it. I recommend min 40:25

Now, lets get closer to date, compare this 2012 with the 06 version, although i find it good, the Axl Rose loud voice I love, is from the 06 one, it is what defines Axl voice, it's his thing. If he

doesn't have it, then wtf?:

http://youtu.be/JLvQiba9ZdM?t=4m36s

And the KOHD shout in this one it is evident he finds it harder to get, it feels unnatural, unlike the previous ones.

You be the judge.

http://youtu.be/RD87gqI15lA?t=8m24s

Edited by valengf
  • Like 1

I watched with my own eyes and heard with my own ears Axl sing in 2010, and I have to say, I didn't much care for the band, but that dude... Holy shit, his voice was insanely powerfull. The best song of the night was Nice Boys, not a lot of people knew that "Guns" did Nice Boys, so when it came on nobody was expecting it, but it was mostly due to it not being part of the regular set.

He hit All. The. High. Notes. One of the best concerts I have ever seen in my life. He can't pull Nice Boys or anything like that nowadays so I'm glad I got to see him do it.

Edited by Izzy_Stradlin_XX

I watched with my own eyes and heard with my own ears Axl sing in 2010, and I have to say, I didn't much care for the band, but that dude... Holy shit, his voice was insanely powerfull. The best song of the night was Nice Boys, not a lot of people knew that "Guns" did Nice Boys, so when it came on nobody was expecting it, but it was mostly due to it not being part of the regular set.

He hit All. The. High. Notes. One of the best concerts I have ever seen in my life. He can't pull Nice Boys or anything like that nowadays so I'm glad I got to see him do it.

I've watched the video. It is an awsome performance indeed. Why can't Axl do this anymore? What is wrong? I wish someone could tell me the answer

Singing like he did in 2010 was almost all strained falsetto, and since he didn't have his midrange,he had to go lower with falsetto. Doing this is a direct recommendation on how to kill a voice. He also sang through colds, another vocal no-no. He is older, he doesn't heal as well as a young man.

• Like 1

Singing like he did in 2010 was almost all strained falsetto, and since he didn't have his midrange,he had to go lower with falsetto. Doing this is a direct recommendation on how to kill a voice. He also sang through colds, another vocal no-no. He is older, he doesn't heal as well as a young man.

Jesus. Don't want to get into a debate over falsetto, but Axl does not sing in falsetto, and that 2010 voice is not falsetto. End of story.

Axl uses all his vocal registers, and his "high voice" is not falsetto. It's "head voice". Head voice and falsetto can either be distinctly seperate, or blended seamlessly. In Axl's case, his vocal registers, and specially his "head voice" and "falsetto", are blended seamlesly together. His "head voice", at the very high end, "pulls down" a few notes from the falsetto section of his voice. But his voice as a whole, when we are talking about singing "high", is "head voice".

And the rasp, and it's depth or lack of, is simply an accent placed in combination with his regular voice. If someone uses too much rasp, it can, possibly, affect the seamlessness of the head and falsetto blend. However, in Axl's case, his head voice is so strong and goes so high, that losing those few top end blended notes (from the seamless head voice and falsetto blend), won't significantly change the range of his voice or ability to sing those songs. However, the rasp can get so reinforced, that it can make a singer not be able to sing cleanly in an easy way. And that's when you get the Axl voice we saw sometimes in the 90's, which was him croaking and forcing, and not getting the projection that was needed. Instead, you get a flat voice that can turn into a cookie monster sound.

But i don't think Axl has lost any ability and his voice is in fantastic health. He chooses to sing how he sings, but can still do everything he always did. Axl can totally sing with the rasp etc, and have longevity doing so. I think he chooses not to because of a few things. One in particular.......is that in these venues.....you can hear the cleaner voice easier. It soars and cuts through the wall of sound. In effect, it sounds better. Yes, it's true. And when you are in the venue for a show and pay attention, you'll realize that this is true.

2006, for sure ....

RAR is a proshot, but go and see LA 2006 \m/

Where is the video, Stradlin?

Video or STFU :lol: