Stephen Colbert under Twitter fire for racist joke

bacardimayne

I think the problem with the tweet is that it doesn't include the context. I remember watching the episode where Colbert is making fun on Dan Snyder, and in that context the joke makes sense and shouldn't be interpreted as racist. It's meant to be making fun of people who make such ridiculous comments. But unless you habitually watch the Colbert Report, it's not something you're going to pick up and I get why it was interpreted as being racist. It would have helped greatly had they only included a line at the beginning that alluded to Dan Snyder.

I'm a huge Colbert fan, but I have to acknowledge that they fucked up with this one. It's not that there is malicious intent, but that the execution was not done properly. Satire only works if put into its proper context, and the tweet excludes such context for those who might have missed that particular episode.

And I think it's insane that people would hold Colbert himself responsible, as if he's in charge of the show's twitter feed. Probably just a fuck-up by an intern who made the assumption that everyone would get the gist of the joke without including the context.

But even without the context of that specific joke, isn't obvious it's satire from the fact that it's The Colbert Report, a satirical news show? Everybody knows when he makes right-wing Glenn Beck-ish comments it's an obvious pisstake, and this is just an extension of that.

I don't see it like that at all. The analogy that it's like telling the audience when to laugh doesn't work. It's more like telling a joke but not including the setup, just the punchline. There's nothing wrong or inherently racist with the joke, but if you don't include the setup, it doesn't make much sense.

Sure, Colbert is a satirical comedy program, but in my opinion, you still have to perform satire properly. It was executed well on the show, when the comment made by Colbert was an obvious dig to Dan Snyder (because he introduced the topic by talking about Snyder). But if the tweet doesn't include the reference, how is anyone to know who is being targeted? And without the context, the tweet comes off as racist.

People who were offended probably should have realized that there was more to it, that since the Colbert Report is a satirical based show, that the comment is meant to be making fun of something or someone and not necessarily Asian Americans. So I think they're criticism is misplaced, but I do think whoever handles the twitter feed should understand how satire works. All that was needed was a few words at the beginning, like "And thanks to Dan Snyder" or "Dan Snyder's heroic efforts to fight racism have led me to..." and it would have worked. But as it was published, it failed the basic constructs of satirical humour.

Edited by downzy

Guest Len B'stard

People call people that protest this shit whiney, well to me the other side are just as whiney. If you wanna do biting near to the bone type satire you're gonna get these responses from some quarters, thats the nature of what it is.

People just do not like to be put on blast...and y'know, you should be careful about throwing around terms like whiney cuz there are other reactions y'know, I mean, do you want a physical one? You should be happy when it's civilized like that, you see how certain sections of of the muslim community react when you poke at em like that right?

Guest Len B'stard

Wouldnt suprise me. But then again it begs the question thats why do you have to be of the race being aimed at to find racism offensive?

Whole things fuckin stupid if you ask me but i'll always entertain peoples sensitivities to some degree.

Reading through the #CancelColbert tweets on Twitter, it seems like 95% are people just saying, "#CancelColbert is still trending?" Only see a handful of tweets that are actually angry at Colbert. The hashtag was apparently created by Suey Park, a freelance writer and Asian-American activist. Honestly, I'm not sure I understand most of her tweets. I mean, some I get, but then she rants about how "satire is an excuse for racism," she doesn't "obey blood logic(?)" because she "[doesn't] answer to [Asian men]" who say she's being "sensational, irrational, and emotional," discussing who is and isn't an "ally" to "us" (I'm assuming "us" means Asian-Americans, but could be Asian-American women, as she appears to make a lot of feminist tweets as well), etc. She apparently did not see the segment on the show, considering she didn't start this until the night after the show aired, but she appears to be enjoying the attention she's getting. I'm curious how the Native American advocates feel though, about all of the attention shifting from the satire on the Redskins' new organization to the discussion on how a clearly satirical joke from an obviously satirical character is racist. (Not giving an opinion on the Redskins' organization in that sentence, just wondering out loud how that advocacy group feels about being overshadowed by this.)

Edited by ronaldo9

Reading through the #CancelColbert tweets on Twitter, it seems like 95% are people just saying, "#CancelColbert is still trending?" Only see a handful of tweets that are actually angry at Colbert. The hashtag was apparently created by Suey Park, a freelance writer and Asian-American activist. Honestly, I'm not sure I understand most of her tweets. I mean, some I get, but then she rants about how "satire is an excuse for racism," she doesn't "obey blood logic(?)" because she "[doesn't] answer to [Asian men]" who say she's being "sensational, irrational, and emotional," discussing who is and isn't an "ally" to "us" (I'm assuming "us" means Asian-Americans, but could be Asian-American women, as she appears to make a lot of feminist tweets as well), etc. She apparently did not see the segment on the show, considering she didn't start this until the night after the show aired, but she appears to be enjoying the attention she's getting. I'm curious how the Native American advocates feel though, about all of the attention shifting from the satire on the Redskins' new organization to the discussion on how a clearly satirical joke from an obviously satirical character is racist.

A feminist? There's a fuckin surprise.

• Like 1

ABJgeX7.png

#CancelColbert is trending on Twitter in the US right now apparently. Thoughts? I think it's ridiculous. The joke was a bit distasteful but cancelling the Colbert Report over it? Fuck off. Sad thing is I can't see this blowing over.

Hundreds of thousands people starve to death and people jumping on this...

Yeah, hypocricy is the way of the living for the majority in this world

Edited by Crash Diet

They can't cancel Colbert, that and The Daily Show are the flagships of Comedy Central.

Regardless, I don't see why he should come under fire so heavily. He's completely satirical, everyone knows he doesn't actually believe the shit he says. Someone probably just got butthurt over this.

In my day, instead of Twitter we retaliate with flaming bags of dog shit.

• Like 1