The Dress Thread

Lithium

I wouldn't worry about the time you've spent making the dress, it's all experience and valuable experience at that. The only real wasted expense is the outlay for your fabric. I have had customers at my work who have bought dresses elsewhere ($2,000 plus) and not been happy with the result after it was made in their size and then come and bought a whole new dress where I work! :o

So don't feel too bad, consider dress #1 to have been training and practice for your real dress! :lol:

$2k on a dress to then change your mind? That's absurd! But I suppose we'll all try to get what we want regardless of our budget. I've a feeling that many brides still spend their parents' money on their wedding dress, so if mum and dad are well heeled, it's ok?

You're right about the first being a practise. I made it as a beginner sewer, and have a higher standard of finish now. The only thing I've lost is around £50 of fabric. I bought the satin and zip for the new dress today for £11, bit of a bargain really!

I'm not at my iMac now, so can't upload a photo, but I'm going for this sort of thing now. (the 2nd dress down) http://ruffledblog.com/sponsor-welcome-free-download

Wow, that is so not what I would ever go for but it will look fabulous on you :)

The first one is cute too ^_^

• Like 1

Wow, that is so not what I would ever go for but it will look fabulous on you :)

The first one is cute too ^_^

D'aww! Thanks! *blushes* you know how short I am, so hopefully the floor length skirt will make me look taller/slimmer.

Probably not going to do all of the intricate detailing of the top part if that dress, I'm actually using the pattern I made your dress with. Will post photos of my progress. :)

• Like 1

The dress I'm wearing for my boyfriend's brother's wedding next week :) Got me some new heels to stop the skirt trailing on the floor :lol: Short people problems...

31bWramBohL._SY445_.jpg

"short people problems" -join the club <_< i bet you are taller than me , just because everybody seems to be lol . 10 out of 10 to that dress me :heart: it

The dress I'm wearing for my boyfriend's brother's wedding next week :) Got me some new heels to stop the skirt trailing on the floor :lol: Short people problems...

31bWramBohL._SY445_.jpg

5 stars.

Jennifer+Lawrence+Updos+Loose+Bun+L3MKcn

Uuugh, there's nothing I hate more than a 'side do'.

i went through this thread looking for an example of the above dress.

Not a fan. At all. This or any of its variations. The dresses with like, built in skin windows? Or like, vents on the torso? I think it's one of those things most will look back on years down the road as ridiculous. except me, who sees it as ridiculous now. And of course i'm right. Keep it simple, ladies.

One day, when i've had enough to drink, i'll show you had a real man wears a dress.

31bWramBohL._SY445_.jpg

Reminds me of a wedding dress I've made a tonne over the last 18 months. :lol: Just finished one two weeks ago actually. Wedding dresses with black detailing have been really popular over the last 2 seasons. Things are starting to veer away from lace now though, but crazy beading is still popular.

30ue70w.jpg

Jennifer+Lawrence+Updos+Loose+Bun+L3MKcn

Uuugh, there's nothing I hate more than a 'side do'.

i went through this thread looking for an example of the above dress.

Not a fan. At all. This or any of its variations. The dresses with like, built in skin windows? Or like, vents on the torso? I think it's one of those things most will look back on years down the road as ridiculous. except me, who sees it as ridiculous now. And of course i'm right. Keep it simple, ladies.

One day, when i've had enough to drink, i'll show you had a real man wears a dress.

Well, it's been a style that has been present in some way, shape or form since the 1940s (40s and 60s were its 'golden years') so I guess it's not viewed as ridiculous as you might think. :shrugs:

14wg3fo.jpg

15eh5qg.jpg

35c0sna.jpg

2wox079.jpg

x4pyz9.jpg

106abyp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One of my best friends turns 30 today and tonight she is having the party to end all parties. Just added the finishing touches to my headwear. Dress is ready, feathers are ready, shoes are ready, swanky hotel room is booked. It's time to party! :awesomeface:

2l2hc2.jpg

2wq4mew.jpg

2921laf.jpg

Post a photo with it on Kim! I'm sure you look beautiful in it!

• Like 1

Good work Kim. Is that satin? You've done an incredible job of those sleeves. People who don't sew won't realise how difficult it is to insert a satin sleeve without it looking horrendous.

Just perfect, and the fascinator is magical.

Ps, Sydney, my new wedding dress has some lace detailing in it. :P

One of my best friends turns 30 today and tonight she is having the party to end all parties. Just added the finishing touches to my headwear. Dress is ready, feathers are ready, shoes are ready, swanky hotel room is booked. It's time to party! :awesomeface:

2l2hc2.jpg

2wq4mew.jpg

2921laf.jpg

You need to wear that headpiece on your crotch. I had a vision.

2s1kky1.jpg

fa33aq.jpg

The theme was Golden Age of Hollywood. :) Didn't get any full length shots on my phone. My friends have some but I'm yet to have them sent to me.

Had the most fantastic night though. Lady Gaga was staying at our hotel and there were crazy teenagers out the front all day! :lol: When we came back to our room at about 3am there were some teenagers gushing at a woman who sort of looked like LG and they were thanking her and being basically how I would be around Axl (:lol:) and she got in the elevator with me and my friend. She was wearing shoes identical to mine but really wasn't dressed like LG would dress so I chatted to her about her shoes but I was thinking "that really doesn't seem like Lady Gaga". When my friend and I got out of the lift she looked at me and said "that wasn't Lady Gaga" and we pissed ourselves laughing.

Next morning we found out she had been at the Cherry Bar until 5am. No idea who that woman in the lift was who had all the teenyboppers fooled. :lol:

Edited by Redhead74
  • Like 2