The Dress Thread

Lithium

Not entirely dress-related, but I don't feel this needs its own thread :P

My grad ball is next Friday and I need to decide on a hairstyle. Here's my dress again:

2014-04-09232143_zps6ea06a8b.jpg

So because of the high neckline I'm having my hair up. These are the two styles I'm kind of trying to choose between:

29b99c1491571677b9509942485f11df.jpg

mila-kunis-082409.jpgMila+Kunis+Updos+Loose+Bun+M7DgC81nJm3l.

Thoughts?

I'm having it put up at a salon, so my own (non-existant) hairstyling skills aren't a factor in this decision :P

It has to be 1 because doesn't the dress have a tie/bow at the back? That feature will be lost if you have that low loose style in 2. Plus I personally find 1 more polished which is what I think works with the simplicity of your dress. :)

But make sure the hairdresser pushes all the pins in properly. Lol at the exposed hairpin to the left of the back shot. Not glam.

Have a fab time. :awesomeface: xo

And I just really love 1.

Thanks guys.

I was originally going for 1, just a little worried it will look too severe all pulled back? My friends suggested I have a piece or two out at the front to make it softer/more flattering from the front. I guess I could get the stylist to kind of do a combination, so it's higher off my neck at the back but still with the front pieces?

I'm not a fan of the loose front bits but it depends entirely on your face and neck. You need to see when the hairstylist is working what works for you best. I don't think 1 is at all severe. Just because its off the face doesn't mean it's severe, it's all about the drape of the hair at the back and keeping it relatively low and loose. Just above your back neckline basically. Let the bow at the back be a feature. And some fab earrings. :)

That's typical, the difference between guys and girls. Most guys I know hate it when a woman wears her hair all up. I love it up, but I haven't worn it up since I was single. My husband always vetoes it :(

ha ha unconsciously ;)

but seriously, i have another explanation. what if Mila Kunis simply looks better than the other girl, and that's just it? so most guys would tell you to do your hair like Mila even if she had a haystack on her head :shrugs:

for example, here's a picture of Charlize Theron, and i think she's got approximately the same hairstyle (but slightly better) as the girl in the first picture. doesn't she look 100% classier than Mila (ever will)?

ddnj1x.jpg

Edited by netcat
  • Like 1

Nah netcat. I actually like Jennifer more than Mila. But that hairstyle is not flattering. I don't like the Charlize one either even when it fits her feautures (that said, it's still much better).

I prefer one like this:
Jennifer+Lawrence+Updos+Loose+Bun+L3MKcn
But if it's gonna be all the hair completely back, I like it when the bun or whatever is called is higher than in those pictures. Again, it looks more cheery and makes the faces look more juvenile and "sweet". Or one thing I've seen of late, an updo with a braid or 2. I like that too.
That said, uh, I think I gotta go to make a thread like the ones ChristmasFnatic makes. See ya.
Edited by Thin White Duke
  • Like 1

That's what I was thinking, Netcat, but didn't want to be accused of being a jealous bitch. I think you are right though. :lol:

fine, today it's my turn to be a jealous bitch :P

Nah netcat. I actually like Jennifer more than Mila. But that hairstyle is not flattering. I don't like the Charlize one either even when it fits her feautures (that said, it's still much better).

I prefer one like this:
But if it's gonna be all the hair completely back, I like it when the bun or whatever is called is higher than in those pictures. Again, it looks more cheery and makes the faces look more juvenile and "sweet". Or one thing I've seen of late, an updo with a braid or 2. I like that too.
That said, uh, I think I gotta go to make a thread like the ones ChristmasFnatic makes. See ya.

i don't agree with what you said but the last line is mega-hilarious :lol:

I prefer one like this:

Aw man, I like that one too! :lol:

Uuugh, there's nothing I hate more than a 'side do'. They come in and out of fashion and date really quickly. That style is super 'in' at the moment. Nearly every bride I've seen for the last 6 months is doing her hair like that and I just find it super daggy and weird to have this thing sticking out the side of your head. So many brides will look back on their wedding photos and cringe when they see their hair like that. :lol:

Interesting the difference in opinions between the guys and the girls in this thread :P

Gah! Torn. Doesn't help that I pretty much never wear my hair all up so I don't have much of a reference.

If you never wear your hair all up then don't do it. There's usually a reason you don't wear it up and it's probably because it doesn't suit your face shape to wear it that way, so don't do something that's not 'you' or is unflattering for an important event just because it might suit the dress better. Your hair should compliment your face, not your clothes IMO.

And I think your hair is one of your best features so don't put it all up and hide it. :)