Black Sabbath with Dio vs. Ozzy solo

Georgy Zhukov

Poll  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I couldn't vote because IMO Ozzy had the upper hand in the 80's but Ronnie's Sabbath (and Ronnie in general) shamed Ozzy later on.

Neither Heaven and Hell or Mob Rules are as good an album as Diary Of A Madman, IMO.

I'd take Bark At The Moon over the 2 80's Dio Sabbath records too, or Born Again (which I love too, don't get me wrong)

Dehumaniser vs No More Tears? Dehumaniser for me.

In the 2000s? Sabbath with Dio or "Heaven and Hell" had it all over Ozzy solo, or even Sabbath with Ozzy.

Voted Sabbath with Dio, and I'll take Dio solo (e.g. Holy Diver) over Ozzy solo also.

yeah solo dio kicks ozzy's ass all over the place. the first 4 solo dio albums each better than the first 4 solo ozzy albums. the last 3 solo dio albums blow away anything ozzy did in the last 10 years and that isnt even counting strange highways.

I don't know why people cream themselves so much for Diary, the songs are far less memorable than the ones on Blizzard. Even Randy's playing feels more phoned-in.

Blizzard is more accessible. Diary is musically a more interesting album. Very dark. Randy's playing is far better on Diary. It's not just cool riffs and solos like Blizzard. It's really mindblowing stuff. Listen to the title track. I prefer that song alone to anything Black Sabbath ever did. The stuff he's playing on that song is just incredible.

It's the best album Ozzy's ever done or will do, and one of the best albums ever if you ask me. The weakest song is Flying High Again.

Ozzy, but it's close. Randy Rhoads is almost entirely to credit.

Ozzy Sabbath > Rhoads Era Ozzy > Dio Sabbath/Heaven and Hell > Lee/Wylde Era Ozzy > Post-Dio Sabbath > Current Sabbath > Post-Wylde Ozzy

I think I agree with these rankings.

Dio's voice is amazing, but idk his actual music just lacks variation (and thus tends not to be something I can go back to often) and his lyrics can be pretty terrible. I think Geezer Butler did Sabbath's lyrics until Dio joined, and I don't get why he took over lyric duties then.

• Like 3

Ozzy, but it's close. Randy Rhoads is almost entirely to credit.

Ozzy Sabbath > Rhoads Era Ozzy > Dio Sabbath/Heaven and Hell > Lee/Wylde Era Ozzy > Post-Dio Sabbath > Current Sabbath > Post-Wylde Ozzy

I think I agree with these rankings.

Dio's voice is amazing, but idk his actual music just lacks variation (and thus tends not to be something I can go back to often) and his lyrics can be pretty terrible. I think Geezer Butler did Sabbath's lyrics until Dio joined, and I don't get why he took over lyric duties then.

geezer hated writing lyrics, and sabbath wanted to go in a new direction. rainbow pioneered power metal, sabbath wanted to go more in that direction and dio is the best at that style.

Edited by bran

no offense, but lol power metal

i like power metal, i listen to it in small doses, but honestly i see nothing wrong with it. millions upon millions of people go out and buy RPG games like skyrim where you are going on adventures killing dragons and all that and is heralded and loved. million watch game of thrones and buy the books where there is dragons, magic, and all the other stuff you find in a power metal album. listening to power metal is just the musical equivalent of those things.

i like power metal, i listen to it in small doses, but honestly i see nothing wrong with it. millions upon millions of people go out and buy RPG games like skyrim where you are going on adventures killing dragons and all that and is heralded and loved. million watch game of thrones and buy the books where there is dragons, magic, and all the other stuff you find in a power metal album. listening to power metal is just the musical equivalent of those things.

still doesnt make it good!!

i can only listen to power metal in small doses usually just a handful of bands since the style runs over the same ground(especially euro power) sort of like not reading every single fantasy novel that comes out :lol:

i can only listen to power metal in small doses usually just a handful of bands since the style runs over the same ground(especially euro power) sort of like not reading every single fantasy novel that comes out :lol:

i hear ya...i'm not big on fantasy novels so that's probably a big reason why i don't like power metal too much

i do love manowar but i don't know if they'd be classified as power metal really

savatage i can deal with, old school helloween...but stuff like edguy, gamma ray, hammerfall i just can't listen to

manowar is the prototypical power metal band on the US side anway :lol: the genre gets stale after a while, but i really like blind guardian, helloween, iced earth namely. i like the thrash inspired stuff from those bands the best.

• Like 1