Faith No More new album 'Sol Invictus' out May 19th

realpoti

Seriously, fuck Pitchfork. I am so sick of that bullshit hipster contrarian site:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20339-sol-invictus/

She criticizes FNM for not changing enough. Literally every record they have sounds different. Same here. Also calls the first and last tracks "negligible." Theyre atmospheric. This same reviewer gave Goatwhore, YOB and Boris high scores and they've been doing the same things sonically for years. They basically approach metal and hard rock like the old dinosaurs do. "I like my metal this way and thats that."

Good thing this review is the outlier for the most part. Mostly positive across the board. Sorry that got a little angry, I just really can't stand Pitchfork and will not be reading them from here on out,

• Like 1

Seriously, fuck Pitchfork. I am so sick of that bullshit hipster contrarian site:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20339-sol-invictus/

She criticizes FNM for not changing enough. Literally every record they have sounds different. Same here. Also calls the first and last tracks "negligible." Theyre atmospheric. This same reviewer gave Goatwhore, YOB and Boris high scores and they've been doing the same things sonically for years. They basically approach metal and hard rock like the old dinosaurs do. "I like my metal this way and thats that."

Good thing this review is the outlier for the most part. Mostly positive across the board. Sorry that got a little angry, I just really can't stand Pitchfork and will not be reading them from here on out,

6/10 seems about average, and what I'd give it too; there's really nothing interesting or ground-breaking on it, just more of the same safe formula to keep the fans interested

This review is spot-on also:

https://youtu.be/RkU0mRFQ2AI

10 shows were video recorded in full (one of them being my Philly show). I don't usually collect bootlegs anymore unless they're shows I've been to or my favorite bands, so I ripped the 10 shows recorded from YouTube and made artwork for them. Going to make my own DVDs for them this week. :)

8. Might move up to 8.5 or 9 depending on replay value later on.

I honestly think it sounds just as fresh as anything out there right now. And that's saying something for a band that hasn't made an album in almost 20 years and totally missed the whole internet/digital transition.

Wow. I have to say that's terrible review. And not just because I don't agree with the rating (even though 4/10 is ridiculous). That was just a poorly written review. And it sounds like the guy hates Patton and his "breadth of his (lack of) taste".

Also, it's Gould and Roddy's band and they wrote most of the songs on Sol Invictus?

It's just a FNM album. If you didn't like the old stuff you're not going to like it.

Not sure where all these other bands he's talking about though, it's a wasteland in Rockville right now.

Thank christ for FNM. I love this album.

The first couple of listens through, I was wishing there was more guitar. You get the sense Gould and Bottom wrote the whole thing.

I've probably listened to Sunny Side Up, Separation Anxiety and Cone of Shame about 50 times each today.

To me, Superhero is one of the weaker tracks. Don't get why it's the single.

No, that the reason it's a single it's kind reminder of Epic in a way. But the rest of it is King for a day, the rabid dog vocals. Sort of Gentle art of making Enemies. But it seems to have war theme.

It seems to be about how guys get hyped to to go, go, go to war. And get all amped up like super soldiers. And as an incentive they are asked will they one day to be a leader. That's my wasted interpretation.

Can anyone recommend a good source for FNM live bootlegs?

edit: ..and any specific legendary-esque shows?

ftp://ftp.bunglefever.com/pub/Faith%20No%20More/Audio/

I would recommend to you Download 2009, Optimus 2010, La Gala 2009, SWU 2011. From the old days: Phoenix Festival 1993, Student Island 1997, Rock In Rio 1991, Monsters of Rock 1995, Tokyo 1997, The Forum 1995. Those are in good quality.

At Maquinaria 2011 they played KFAD in its entirety with Trey Spruance, but there's no proshot:

Edited by realpoti
  • Like 1

I'm not a huge FNM fan by any means, but this album is a breath of fresh air for me. I'm enjoying it a ton right now.

I was gonna ask you in the last album you listened to thread about your thoughts. Agreed.

That's my problem with reviews like SPIN, with all the crap music going around, why try and hold down a band who is different from the norm.

• Like 1