The Big 4 - who is your favorite?

Powerage5

Who is your favorite band of The Big 4?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Testament are fucking great, easily just as good as the rest, I don't particularly dig Anthrax but Death Angel, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Metallica are real swell. I ain't checked out Kreator yet either but an old mate said they were the shit.

Megadeth are definitely my fave thrashers. I still think it's ridiculous out of all the records, 14/15, only a few don't particularly engage me. Risk is meh, Cryptic Writings is average, The World Needs A Hero is mediocre, understandably so. Supercollider was average but the goddamn consistency Mustaine has had since getting the use of his arm back and gathering yet another line up, I can forgive him and at least he tried summat new.

The rest, ladies and gents, check the fuck out and find out why the 'deth have a cult following.

I think The World Needs a Hero is underrated, I think it gets a bad rep because of the shit that was going down in the band around that time but the songs are actually very good. Dread and the Fugitive Mind is particularly amazing.

• Like 1

Testament are fucking great, easily just as good as the rest, I don't particularly dig Anthrax but Death Angel, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Metallica are real swell. I ain't checked out Kreator yet either but an old mate said they were the shit.

Megadeth are definitely my fave thrashers. I still think it's ridiculous out of all the records, 14/15, only a few don't particularly engage me. Risk is meh, Cryptic Writings is average, The World Needs A Hero is mediocre, understandably so. Supercollider was average but the goddamn consistency Mustaine has had since getting the use of his arm back and gathering yet another line up, I can forgive him and at least he tried summat new.

The rest, ladies and gents, check the fuck out and find out why the 'deth have a cult following.

I think The World Needs a Hero is underrated, I think it gets a bad rep because of the shit that was going down in the band around that time but the songs are actually very good. Dread and the Fugitive Mind is particularly amazing.

I should give Dave some leverage in that he was burnt out and tried to develop a new sound, back to aggression and dueling guitars again, it is a decent album actually now I give it more focus. Dread and the Fugitive Mind, Return To Hanger, When (apart from the ludicrous whining in the build up), Recipe For Hate and Burning Bridges are good tracks.

• 3 months later...

Megadeth

In my opinion, Rust In Peace is easily better than any Metallica album

I think Megadeth has made better albums than Rust In Peace

No.

Rust In Peace is no doubt their best. One of the greatest metal albums ever made. Peace Sells can't touch it. Countdown can't touch it.

Megadeth

I think Megadeth has made better albums than Rust In Peace

No.

Rust In Peace is no doubt their best. One of the greatest metal albums ever made. Peace Sells can't touch it. Countdown can't touch it.

NO!!

Megadeth

It is, but that's the only one you can say that about. I'd say Metallica's been more consistent in their discography.

Kill 'Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

...And Justice For All

Those big 4 combined are better then anything Dave managed to produce. Rust In Peace is a hell of an album though. It proves Dave is very talented. Talented enough to do his own thing anyway.

Metallica was always more of a band. Dave always needed to lead the charge, and many Megadeth albums are great thrash.

Megadeth

It is, but that's the only one you can say that about. I'd say Metallica's been more consistent in their discography.

Kill 'Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

...And Justice For All

Those big 4 combined are better then anything Dave managed to produce. Rust In Peace is a hell of an album though. It proves Dave is very talented. Talented enough to do his own thing anyway.

Metallica was always more of a band. Dave always needed to lead the charge, and many Megadeth albums are great thrash.

Also, when both bands branched out style-wise, I think Metallica took to it like a fish to water, whereas Megadeth trying different styles was more forced and awkward sounding, and quite frankly yielded far inferior results.

Megadeth

Kill 'Em All

Ride The Lightning

Master Of Puppets

...And Justice For All

Also, when both bands branched out style-wise, I think Metallica took to it like a fish to water, whereas Megadeth trying different styles was more forced and awkward sounding, and quite frankly yielded far inferior results.

Yeah Metallica is more versatile. Is that because it's just more of a collaboration between a few central instruments to the vision, so it's like James and Lars and Cliff work together to make it the vision of everyone, and Kirk.

With Dave, it's always him dictating his vision and you get amazing guitar players sometimes to handle lead like Marty.

What's interesting, is that James and Dave in the same band worked, for a while. That collaboration could never last.

Edited by Rovim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. metalica

2. megadeth.

3. anthrax

4. slayer

i have all of metallica and megadeth albums but only one by anthrax (among the living), i would love to get into more anthrax...suggestions anyone?

slayer i cant do, tried and tried but just cant really get into them....

1. metalica

2. megadeth.

3. anthrax

4. slayer

i have all of metallica and megadeth albums but only one by anthrax (among the living), i would love to get into more anthrax...suggestions anyone?

For Anthrax...I'd go with Spreading The Disease for the old school feel....then delve into Sound Of White Noise...

1. metalica

2. megadeth.

3. anthrax

4. slayer

For Anthrax...I'd go with Spreading The Disease for the old school feel....then delve into Sound Of White Noise...

I'd also say to go for Spreading The Disease next. Worship Music is my favorite, but their sound has changed since the 80's - Id definitely check out the rest of the Belladonna albums (Spreading The Disease, Persistence Of Time, and State Of Euphoria - in that order) before moving on to Worship Music. Sound Of White Noise is the only Bush album worth checking out; Stomp 442, Vol. 8, and We've Come For You All are entirely forgettable. And you can check out their first album, Fistful Of Metal, anywhere in that order.

1. metalica

2. megadeth.

3. anthrax

4. slayer

I'd also say to go for Spreading The Disease next. Worship Music is my favorite, but their sound has changed since the 80's - Id definitely check out the rest of the Belladonna albums (Spreading The Disease, Persistence Of Time, and State Of Euphoria - in that order) before moving on to Worship Music. Sound Of White Noise is the only Bush album worth checking out; Stomp 442, Vol. 8, and We've Come For You All are entirely forgettable. And you can check out their first album, Fistful Of Metal, anywhere in that order.

I think I'd skip State of Euphoria...that's a pretty weak album

Persistence Of Time is a good one though and Fistful Of Metal is totally overlooked

• Like 1

1. metalica

2. megadeth.

3. anthrax

4. slayer

Persistence Of Time is a good one though and Fistful Of Metal is totally overlooked

I mean, I don't love SOE or anything, but I can listen to it front to back. But let me put it like this - there's nothing on it I'd put in my dream Anthrax setlist. Persistence is awesome, I love how dark it is.

1. metalica

2. megadeth.

3. anthrax

4. slayer

I mean, I don't love SOE or anything, but I can listen to it front to back. But let me put it like this - there's nothing on it I'd put in my dream Anthrax setlist. Persistence is awesome, I love how dark it is.

I'd like to hear Bush tackle the Persistence album...Belladonna shines on the album but I think Bush would take it slightly darker

thanks guys, any slayer albums you would recommend too? im curious....

Hell Awaits and Reign In Blood for the classic raw sound

South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss for a slightly slowed down sound

Edited by Sixes

show no mercy has a lot of NWOBHM influence if that is something you might interested in, but what sixes said is dead on also might want to check out the haunting the chapel EP if you like that check out the german thrash band sodom.

Hell Awaits followed by Seasons In The Abyss are my fave two Slayer records, the rest are brilliant apart from that cover album I don't care for, God Hates Us All (okay), World Painted Blood and Christ Illusion are decent.

those are my 2 favorites as well.