Car Talk

arnold layne

My current car works just fine, well it has - it's in the shop right now.

Naturally I am greedy bastard and I am car shopping. I've got my eyes set on the Buick Verano, but I cannot afford it. :lol:

What car do you drive, and did you buy or lease?

Edited by arnold layne

I just bought a 2011 Ford Taurus, and I love it

I also just bought a 98 Ford Econoline Van from a dude for 800 bucks so I can take bands on tour, I'll probably die in that thing

Would love to own a Dodge Challenger some day, if I don't get killed in my van

Edited by sweetness
  • Like 1

Currently riding around and getting it in a 2013 Nissan versa. It's not a bad little car at all. Nothing flashy exterior wise or interior, all manual doors and windows very basic. Im currently in college so it's perfectly fine. Amazing on gas I put 10 bucks and can drive around for a week atleast lol it's crazy. I want to put a rack on the top of it and maybe get a canoe (I live by rivers) but money money money.

I also drive a ford edge around sometimes it's the girls. It's a nice drive fairly high and smooth and comfortable inside. Horrible on gas though especially in town. I thought it would be better since it's not really sold as a huge SUV but it's pretty bad. I wouldn't buy one (only because there's other SUVs id rather have) but it's quite nice.

My next car shall be a Jeep Wrangler. Probably not going to go new. I love the look of jeeps and rly want to text drive one. Hopefully in like a year and a half I can start shopping for one. I want the sport version 2 door don't really need a 4 door and I honestly like the smaller ones think they look cooler. Going to keep the Nissan for commutes and shit and hope to have the jeep for joyrides and outdoors trips and stuff.

Is it true Americans rarely buy second hand cars? :)

Wasn't true for us until recently. We would never buy a new car in the past because of depreciation. My husband's truck was stolen a year ago. We went to buy one that was a year or two old. We couldn't believe it but it was a much better deal to get a 2013 model with no miles. This was just before the 2014 models were released. The prices were better, the incentives and the warranty made it such a better buy, we went with the new one. This is the first new vehicle I've owned. My husband had new ones growing up but his father owned a dealership. So, that doesn't really count as your average American as they were selling them.

fiat stilo abarth, the electronics can be a pain in the ass but otherwise a lovely powerful car to drive.

tbh why would someone buy an American in the first place, they're basically good for nothing hehe

Edited by grouse

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon and a 2011 Chrysler Town and Country. I love the yukon, it's like a tank. :) I can push little cars right out of my way. Both vehicles are fully loaded, the van has 3 dvd screens, kids like that.

Do you only allow the kids to use them on long journeys?

I've never really seen the point in them, it is a very American thing.

Also, LOL, DVD.

Guest Len B'stard

Each to their own but i hate this thing of people driving 4 by 4s and all terrain vehicles on normal roads, it's like, what for?

• Like 1

Each to their own but i hate this thing of people driving 4 by 4s and all terrain vehicles on normal roads, it's like, what for?

Because they are bigger vehicles, inside and outside. When you have bigger families, you need more room for kids, dogs, toys, luggage, etc. The outside "biggness" helps when you are in traffic. I'm usually a pretty nice driver, I let folks in and out, as well as pass. But every now and then you find some dick head that thinks they are cocky and drives like an asshole. They think they are entitled to the things I just mentioned, so having a big vehicle helps remind them "no you don't, if I don't want to let you in, you're not getting in." Understand? Plus living in Michigan we get some bad winter storms, 4 wheel drive helps a lot in the snow, not on ice, but snow for sure. I actually had to brave the elements a few times this past winter, and it's kinda fun to be able to actually leave your house and see all the people stuck as you zoom on by. Good to have perks :) But the final reason is for pulling trailrs, boats, etc. I don't currently own a boat (but i will someday), but I do have a trailor that I pull all the time. Whether it's camping, moving things, or taking the lawn mower into the shop, it's nice to actually do all the things you need to do, all on your own.

So ya multiple uses for bigger vehicles/ 4x4's. I realize that it is more of a American/Canadian thing, and that these vehicles are a lot rarer in Europe. But from what I have heard (from Brit's that I have met in person) that American's travel around the country a lot more than the British do. We take a lot of road trips, and let's face it, America is a lot bigger than the UK. So if you are going to spend a few days in a car, why not have as much room as possible?

Do you only allow the kids to use them on long journeys?

I've never really seen the point in them, it is a very American thing.

Also, LOL, DVD.

We let them use them whenever they want to, which is usually longer trips yes. But as far as "the point' goes, they keep the kids quiet, always a bonus. Plus why wouldn't you want them. It's just another feature to improve the overall experience.

and yes, blu rays would be even better...

Because they are bigger vehicles, inside and outside. When you have bigger families, you need more room for kids, dogs, toys, luggage, etc. The outside "biggness" helps when you are in traffic. I'm usually a pretty nice driver, I let folks in and out, as well as pass. But every now and then you find some dick head that thinks they are cocky and drives like an asshole. They think they are entitled to the things I just mentioned, so having a big vehicle helps remind them "no you don't, if I don't want to let you in, you're not getting in." Understand? Plus living in Michigan we get some bad winter storms, 4 wheel drive helps a lot in the snow, not on ice, but snow for sure. I actually had to brave the elements a few times this past winter, and it's kinda fun to be able to actually leave your house and see all the people stuck as you zoom on by. Good to have perks :) But the final reason is for pulling trailrs, boats, etc. I don't currently own a boat (but i will someday), but I do have a trailor that I pull all the time. Whether it's camping, moving things, or taking the lawn mower into the shop, it's nice to actually do all the things you need to do, all on your own.

So ya multiple uses for bigger vehicles/ 4x4's. I realize that it is more of a American/Canadian thing, and that these vehicles are a lot rarer in Europe. But from what I have heard (from Brit's that I have met in person) that American's travel around the country a lot more than the British do. We take a lot of road trips, and let's face it, America is a lot bigger than the UK. So if you are going to spend a few days in a car, why not have as much room as possible?

Thanks for explaining this. My husband has a truck, but I didn't get the all terrain vehicles on the road, especially during rush hour.

Edited by AdriftatSea

• 8 months later...

Yeah but half of that stuff don't apply universally. Makes sense if you have adverse weather conditions and such but again, what ratio of em own them for that reason, you're probably the exception to the rule. And especially over here, in the south east of England, its fuckin' ridiculous, dropping the kids to school in a car designed to drive up fuckin' mountains.

And as far as that 'push little cars out the way' thing, it's all good and clever but mind he ain't waiting for you round the corner when you get out with a torque wrench cuz that whole 'protected by my car' thing wears off real quick when you step out of the car.