Ann Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay

Amir

This must be a pisstake. Surely nobody that dumb exists. 'A lack of individual achievement in soccer', what about hattricks, goldenboots, and cleansheets? 'You do not use your hands', you do not use your penis in most sports either! And anyhow, you do use your hands in football, for throw ins and goalkeeping. And, 'it is foreign'. Fuck me, let's not play it then!! Besides, baseball, basketball and American football are just rip-offs of cricket, netball and Rugby, both developed in England.

Ripoff or improvement?

• Like 1

Well basketball might be considered an improvement in the sense that, net ball is only played by high school girls haha. Rugby and Cricket however are both massive internationally whereas, American football and baseball are only popular in one country, so the world has pretty much made up its mind what is better there.

Japan, ehh, yes. Never heard of much Latin American support for it. I think basketball is big in Spain also. American Football is basically liked by nobody except Americans. The English game of Cricket however is massive in England, India, Australia, N. Zealand, S. Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe - and is fast growing in Afghanistan, Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands. That is a lot of people. It is tantamount to a religion on the Asian subcontinent which contains some of the most populous countries in the world. The English game of Ruby is massive in England, Australia, New Zealand, Wales, Scotland, France, Ireland, Argentina and numerous Pacific nations such as Tahiti and Fiji. The English game of Association Football is popular, basically everywhere.

Guest Len B'stard

So, in short, whole world sits on one side watching the world cup and moaning old American bird stands on the other side waving a stick going 'don't do that!'. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, ummm, thanks for the advice Annie Oakley, I'll take it home with me and be sure to file it under 'go fuck your mother', thank you :)

She just wants attention. I wonder if she'll be on Bill Maher's show tonight on HBO?

^^ This ^^

I doubt she even believes half the things she says.

I'm sure she doesn't. She has just learned there is money in shock value.

ann coulter should just go away

But wouldn't it be boring if people like her went away? the old guy from duck show? People that aren't afraid to speak their mind. Even if you don't agree with them, one of the great things is that people have the freedom to speak their minds. It would be pretty boring if everybody was politically correct 24/7 on every issue.

To me it is interesting how outraged people today get over the silliest things. What this woman says has no bearing on my life. Just the thirty seconds it took to read the article. She went overboard on the soccer stereotypes. At the end of the day, who really cares what this woman thinks about soccer? Certainly not something that anybody should get worked up over.

• Like 1

Honestly, I agree with a couple of her arguments against soccer. But those arguments are matters of taste, not facts. They certainly are not a sign of moral decay. I just am not interested by the sport. She is a raving lunatic, or just a genius racking up that conservative money.

" If Michael Jackson had treated his chronic insomnia with a tape of Argentina vs. Brazil instead of Propofol, he'd still be alive, although bored."

That was a good joke. I also have a problem with a professional sporting competition ending in a tie, ever. This goes for NFL too. Accepting a tie is the opposite of the spirit of competition. I think NFL games should be played with sudden death overtime, even regular season, and soccer games should be played with sudden death OT or penalty kicks for every game.

Also the whole scoring system in the World Cup is just annoying. Just go by win-loss record. It gets made needlessly complicated.

Edited by TeeJay410

Honestly, I agree with a couple of her arguments against soccer. But those arguments are matters of taste, not facts. They certainly are not a sign of moral decay. I just am not interested by the sport. She is a raving lunatic, or just a genius racking up that conservative money.

But there are none of her arguments to agree with because they are all incorrect.

• Like 1

But there are none of her arguments to agree with because they are all incorrect.

Well as a matter of opinion and tastes, I don't think professional sporting events should ever end in a tie. Also it's more enjoyable to watch sports where you can get invested in individuals who have individual accountability. Obviously basketball has more of that being a 5 on 5 sport. In the NFL the quarterback can make or break a team. It's why watching Peyton Manning and Michael Jordan was so amazing, they can shoulder so much on their own. In soccer, so much of it does seem to be left up for chance. Certainly you need to be able to put yourself in position for it but there is a large lack of individual responsibility. Now as a matter of personal taste, witnessing individuals transcend and perform to great heights is something about sports that I love. In soccer there isn't that individual accountability. There's no shot clock. No 40 seconds to run a play. Too often there feels like a lack of urgency.

Also I'm surprised she didn't mention the flopping which is the most annoying thing. Plus the fact what is considered a foul in soccer is pathetic. Just because someone fell doesn't mean it's a foul.

But once again, this is all personal taste and I don't believe that people thinking differently than I do means that there is a moral decay in American society.

" If Michael Jackson had treated his chronic insomnia with a tape of Argentina vs. Brazil instead of Propofol, he'd still be alive, although bored."

That was a good joke.

how on Earth is that a good joke? seriously! :shock:

Does it need to be spelled out? It hits on multiple levels, and is mean spirited. My kind of joke.

• Like 1

She really doesn't deserve a thread...this is exactly what she was after. She's the female version of Rush Limbaugh. Sooner or later, people will figure her out.

That article is misleading. She really is a conservative while Stephen Colbert just makes fun of them. She's just way over the top....like I said, akin to Rush Limbaugh.

That was a good joke.

how on Earth is that a good joke? seriously! :shock:

Does it need to be spelled out? It hits on multiple levels, and is mean spirited. My kind of joke.

Maybe. I really don't get it.

Well as a matter of opinion and tastes, I don't think professional sporting events should ever end in a tie. Also it's more enjoyable to watch sports where you can get invested in individuals who have individual accountability. Obviously basketball has more of that being a 5 on 5 sport. In the NFL the quarterback can make or break a team. It's why watching Peyton Manning and Michael Jordan was so amazing, they can shoulder so much on their own. In soccer, so much of it does seem to be left up for chance. Certainly you need to be able to put yourself in position for it but there is a large lack of individual responsibility. Now as a matter of personal taste, witnessing individuals transcend and perform to great heights is something about sports that I love. In soccer there isn't that individual accountability. There's no shot clock. No 40 seconds to run a play. Too often there feels like a lack of urgency.

Also I'm surprised she didn't mention the flopping which is the most annoying thing. Plus the fact what is considered a foul in soccer is pathetic. Just because someone fell doesn't mean it's a foul.

But once again, this is all personal taste and I don't believe that people thinking differently than I do means that there is a moral decay in American society.

It is not about subjective 'taste' though. That article is simply factually incorrect and you are incorrect here in supporting it. The fact that Neymar and Messi are currently - as we speak - setting the world alight in a race for the golden boot makes a complete mockery of this whole, 'anti-individuality' argument (talk about picking a wrong time to make that particular point!!!). Brazil, and to a lesser degree, Argentina, are actually rather ordinary teams without Neymar and Messi. Individual goal scorerers are actually obsessed with netting the ball, getting hat tricks and winning golden boot awards. Additionally, defenders and goal keepers pride themselves on keeping 'clean sheets'. It is simply an incorrect argument to make.

I actually would agree with the flopping thing but that was not even mentioned.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Only in America could someone this utterly misguided be a public figure who some people actually take seriously. What a fanny.

Yeah only in America. :jerkoff:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, or having a go at me...

"Only in America" it's such a smug, pompous, bullshit, statement to make.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Only in America could someone this utterly misguided be a public figure who some people actually take seriously. What a fanny.

Yeah only in America. :jerkoff:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, or having a go at me...

"Only in America" it's such a smug, pompous, bullshit, statement to make.

Yeah but at the same time you're talking about a phrase that was invented and popularised by Americans as a way to denote America being the homeland of liberty and oppertunity, do you not think that's a bit smug? People from abroad use it as a response to that same smugness. Think about that for a second, considering that things like liberty and oppertunity and decency are 'only in America'.