New Duff interview: VR plans, New Documentary

I've always said, and I repeat once more.

Scott is the only guy for VR.

Contraband is the best that has been done by people who were part of the original lineup of GNR. It's even better than Chinese.

Looking back ...
"Before you start cracking wise about out-of-work refugees from multiplatinum bands or rock stars with drug problems and arrest records — as if we haven't seen a few of them in the last half-century — consider this: Singer Scott Weiland, late of Stone Temple Pilots, and the ex-Guns n' Roses trio of guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum have, with second guitarist Dave Kushner, gotten more done in one year as Velvet Revolver than Axl Rose has achieved with his version of G n' R in the past decade. If nothing else, banging your head to Contraband's snarling update of Eighties Sunset Strip rock classicism is a lot better than laying around waiting for the mythical Chinese Democracy.

Contraband is, in fact, tighter and hotter in construction and attack than we had any right to expect from a band that started out auditioning vocalists while being filmed for a VH1 reality show."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/contraband-20040624#ixzz36LXSoJpD

I totally agree... I am only a fan of VR and Scott because of my GNR background

i dont care for STP in any way... but there is no VR without Scott... he was perfect for them and Contraband, I wouldn't want to see VR with a different singer... if they do go that route... change the name and more forward

• Like 1

Was Scott too good to replace?

So much of the band's identity was in Scott's struggle with addiction and the band's drive to taste rock n roll fame/relevancy again. There's no way to replicate that urgency with another singer.

That being said, looks like the DeLeo brothers found a suitable soundalike.

Edited by moreblack

she's hot

I disagree. I don't like my women to have more tattoos than a 45 year old biker.

Was Scott too good to replace?

The fact that they have not yet been able to find a singer would suggest so.

Imo Scott can't be replaced.

Yes he can...Izzy. It won't happen, but Izzy would transform that band into something even the Stones would envy.

Slash denies he considered Shooter Jennings for VR, Shooter said he was asked twice. I guess someone will have to ask Duff, Matt, & Dave.

He was also in an LA band called Stargunn which you can find on You Tube to give an idea of what his style was like during the LA club days, or the clip of Shooter singing the GNR songs with Slash and Duff.

"Duff talks VR plans" reads the same to me as "Dizzy Reed talks new music"

I hear what your'e saying except for the fact that Duff isn't a pawn and likely does have a very big clue with what's going on.