New Duff interview: VR plans, New Documentary

"Duff talks VR plans" reads the same to me as "Dizzy Reed talks new music"

But why would he lie? I don't believe VR is 100% dead.

I wasn't calling Duff a liar. I just meant that like Dizzy, he's always saying this and nothing ever comes of it.

I think he is at a point now where he WANTS to keep all doors open, including gnr and vr. That's my feeling about it anyways. Once Slash gets his new album out of the way, and depending where Axl is with gnr at that moment, I am beginning to think a reunion of sorts is entirely possible. If Slash's next album is BIG, that might be a problem for us reunionists. But if it performs at his last albums level, or perhaps worse, he will be in the same boat as Axl. Wanting to play music, needing (financially) to play music, and needing a solid enough singer to play with are all possible situations Slash could be dealing with if he doesn't get big sales on this one.

Same goes for Axl if BBF leaves. Axl might be in need of a guitar player just as much as Slash might be in need of a singer? I wonder if Duff thinks about this as well, or perhaps even discussed it with some behind closed doors? Both Slash and Axl are doing "ok" on their own, but neither are doing good enough to that a reunion just doesn't makes sense.

Perhaps Duff is thinking, now is not the time, but perhaps 2 years down the road? Why not try and stay on good terms with everybody, and maybe we take one more run at it before we retire? It's good to be open to possibilities.

I wasn't calling Duff a liar. I just meant that like Dizzy, he's always saying this and nothing ever comes of it.

But that's because they didn't find a proper singer to replace Scott. Duff can't do anything about it.

But that's because they didn't find a proper singer to replace Scott. Duff can't do anything about it.

I fully understand that.

Anyone who hasn't read his autobiography needs to do themselves the favor and check it out. Very cool point of view on GNR, VR, the early seattle scene, life in general.... very cool.

Well, Duff went on That Metal Show years ago and said there was a new singer all set and ready to go and the announcement would come eventually/soon/whatever bullshit word Gunners use to convey a short period of time.

Of course, nothing ever came of it.

I hate to say it, but VR getting a new singer has about as much of a chance as GN'R reuniting.

The only person stopping anything with VR is Slash. His solo career is likely more profitable and with far less stress. But it leaves his friends and band mates in no man's land. Matt is saving Dolphins, Dave is writing TV theme songs, and Duff has his own bands and plays with GNR. It's not as if they have bad gigs, but it's not quite the same as being radio regulars and extending their relevancy into their 40's like VR was doing for them.

At this point it seems they would all rather get back with Guns than continue with VR. One man standing in the way, just like one man is standing in the way of a VR return. FREE THE COREY TAYLOR ALBUM

Well, Duff went on That Metal Show years ago and said there was a new singer all set and ready to go and the announcement would come eventually/soon/whatever bullshit word Gunners use to convey a short period of time.

Of course, nothing ever came of it.

I hate to say it, but VR getting a new singer has about as much of a chance as GN'R reuniting.

Yes, in this case, "soon" is the word, which means, it's gonna take 20+ years.

I fully understand that.

Ah. Sorry man, didn't mean to annoy heh.

Was Scott too good to replace?

So much of the band's identity was in Scott's struggle with addiction and the band's drive to taste rock n roll fame/relevancy again. There's no way to replicate that urgency with another singer.

I'd love the irony if Velvet Revolver tried getting Chester Bennington on vocals. I can't imagine the band coming out of hiatus though while Slash is busy with his solo act, besides the occasional reunion show.

I think it's pretty clear from reading various accounts that they were all hungry to match and possibly exceed their GNR legacy with VR. Now I think they realize, if it's to be considered anything other than a failure, the third VR record would have to be their definitive album. So why force it?

They all have outlets for their musical creativity with less repercussions for their "legacies" should the material receive mixed reviews. If VR happens again, look out -- they know they have to deliver. I don't think Slash is going to be satisfied with his solo career being his sole gig until "retirement." There's time for one last big project -- whether it's a reunion for VR, GNR or something new entirely.

Edited by Ant

I've always said, and I repeat once more.
Scott is the only guy for VR.
Contraband is the best that has been done by people who were part of the original lineup of GNR. It's even better than Chinese.

Looking back ...
"Before you start cracking wise about out-of-work refugees from multiplatinum bands or rock stars with drug problems and arrest records — as if we haven't seen a few of them in the last half-century — consider this: Singer Scott Weiland, late of Stone Temple Pilots, and the ex-Guns n' Roses trio of guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum have, with second guitarist Dave Kushner, gotten more done in one year as Velvet Revolver than Axl Rose has achieved with his version of G n' R in the past decade. If nothing else, banging your head to Contraband's snarling update of Eighties Sunset Strip rock classicism is a lot better than laying around waiting for the mythical Chinese Democracy.

Contraband is, in fact, tighter and hotter in construction and attack than we had any right to expect from a band that started out auditioning vocalists while being filmed for a VH1 reality show."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/contraband-20040624#ixzz36LXSoJpD
Edited by auad