Use Your Illusion (DVD) vs. Appetite For Democracy

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fuck you guys, Gilby rocks.

Pawnshop Guitars is a killer album and the follow-ups were good too. Izzy is awesome and a great songwriter, but it would have been great if Gilby had written with GN'R too. Imagine "Cure Me, Or Kill Me" with Axl on vocals--would have been a big hit in 1994.

Gilby is a good guitar player!, he could be writte goods hard rock songs for Axl

I can't believe this an actual question. Of course, Live in Tokyo is better. The ones who wrote and recorded the songs are performing them. Axl voice is not at his truly best but no one can deny that he doesn't sound great in comparison to the 2012 awful vocal performance. Slash is playing his own solos, his guitar tone is the real GNR sound. Nightrain as an opener is killer. The whole band is killing it in front of more than 50,000 fans.

Now, compare that to a "band" covering music other people wrote, Bumblefoot's and Ashba's awful guitar tone, boring solo spots and Axl terrible vocals... :lol:

• Like 1

What sets the old apart from the new is the amount of unnecessary solos and the length of each... and i'm talking about the old here!

The new bands show is still a little flabby but it doesn't have a 10min drum solo, followed by a third slash solo. New is more bang for the buck, but vocally Axl was a bit better, the vegas show is not Axl at his best... not by a long shot, good but definitely not great and the same can be said for the UYI dvd, I guess that's what happens when you don't re-record everything.

Tokyo is far from the best heyday show; but AFD is the story of a parody while Tokyo is a depiction of the weight of the name at work. Like many before me have already said, there's no comparison to seeing (most of) the actual creators of the music going at it instead of a well mannered tribute group.

God what I would give to have seen that band...

Tokyo is far from the best heyday show; but AFD is the story of a parody while Tokyo is a depiction of the weight of the name at work. Like many before me have already said, there's no comparison to seeing (most of) the actual creators of the music going at it instead of a well mannered tribute group.

The UYI shows I saw were very good, and even the down nights kick NuGuns ass IMHO, but they did not hold a candle to the 2 club shows I saw back in 1987 at the Ritz and L'Amour..........those shows were Guns at the height of their power before the drugs and egos killed the band...........by the UYI tour the band was already in a death spiral from which they never recovered.............

Edited by classicrawker

The UYI shows I saw were very good, and even the down nights kick NuGuns ass IMHO, but they did not hold a candle to the 2 club shows I saw back in 1987 at the Ritz and L'Amour..........those shows were Guns at the height of their power before the drugs and egos killed the band...........by the UYI tour the band was already in a death spiral from which they never recovered.............
My latter point was referring to wanting to see real Guns in general :).

I would've LOVED seeing those 1987 shows. But I also would've wanted to see a UYI show as well, as I would've loved to see those guys crank out ycbm and November Rain live as well.

But nooooooo. I just HAD to be three years old by the time they played their last show. Fuckin luck, right? :lol:

My latter point was referring to wanting to see real Guns in general :).

I would've LOVED seeing those 1987 shows. But I also would've wanted to see a UYI show as well, as I would've loved to see those guys crank out ycbm and November Rain live as well.

But nooooooo. I just HAD to be three years old by the time they played their last show. Fuckin luck, right? :lol:

Don't get me wrong the UYI shows were very good and I enjoyed them all.....nothing NuGuns has done can come close IMHO...

I hear you about being too young as I would have loved to have been old enough to attend concerts at the old Fillmore East in NYC in the 68-71 but was too young as well.........just think about seeing Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Janis Joplin, Allman Brothers, CSNY, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck Group, Humble Pie, Sly and the Family Stone and other amazing bands in that small theater for about $3-5 back in the day.............. :drool:

Check out these shows that played there

http://www.fillmore-east.com/showlist.html

I think I have the UYI dvd.

I love when Slash runs into the audience and security has to chase him around.

The only thing I don't like about this dvd is how awful Duff looks. you can tell the drugs and drinking were taking the toll on him. I'm so glad he got help. Slash too was wasted yet the guy still can kick ass on guitar.

Axl was amazing! I wish I had the pleasure of seeing GNR back in the late 80s and early 90's. I think it would have been one of the best experience of my life.

Anyway, most have been a magical time for the guys and I'm glad they lived through it all.