the Tobias v Slash thing

wasted

This probably has a lot of stuff to correct about Slash, but it seems like a jumping off point for what happened with Tobias and Slash around Sympathy for the Devil etc.

It's just different perspectives to me. To Slash coming from a more hard rock pov the big bands had pretty solid line ups, well kind of other than the Stones, ACDC, VH but yeah the real spiritual fuckers of rock like The Beatles, Zepp, The Doors, Sacred bands had the one line up. That's the ideal, but Axl is hell bent on being a realist. If you're going to be honest you're going to have issues with band members.

Then there's Axl the artist. Him seeing GNR as a way to express himself through, whether Izzy wrote the song he pretty much lives the lyrics. But the flip side is when his mood changes from rock n roll to heartbreak suddenly he doesn't need a sleazy guitarist to write with for songs like Estranged. Slash probably can do that type of stuff but maybe he's not gagging to do it. He called CD "a depressing record". But Axl is probably more like this guitarist is really cool at this, or that, I like what Finck brought to TIL and he wrote Better. It's like I'm the guitarist this is how I play.

Slash seemed to really believe GNR's hype much more, like we sold 100 million we are GNR we do what the fuck we like and it's working. Axl is like I'm rich but I lost the love of my lives, how can I express that with a guy who only wants to play sleazy rock n roll?

Slash os right in terms of rock history and their careers, a line up change is a disaster. Even Adler, suddenly the myth was breaking up. You get in a guy like Matt from The Cult? That's when Slash should have quit. And when Gilby joined they should have all committed suicide…no I just don;t think Slash is fair their, he brings in his guys like Matt and Gilby and it works like that for GNR, but if Axl wants to bring in someone he could write with it's like: Not the GNR thing to do??

Basically Slash is just as stubborn as Axl when it comes down to it and maybe twice as full of shit just by being a normal person. Axl just can't make a good business or career decision ahead of his own principles, he's second guessing the muse to the wire. To be a big band and keep you're soul you have a be a bit of a prick like Jagger and it's Slash n Keef that have to eat shit in a commercial way and support the singer.

But the industry went tits up, and actually both came out well. Slash have a career by working the amateur hour facebook crowd, quasi celebrity and musical freedom. Axl can play the nostalgia tour card and try to sneak some material out. Axl can't have a Justin Bieber type career. "Here's a little one we wrote back in the 90s, it's called One in a Million." Tweeter goes postal. Slash can't be in a cheesy Some Girls-type nostalgia act playing Donatella Versace's baby shower with a bunch of 50 year old coke heads. Slash can play the classic rock and cool pop scene but not really the Jet set and Fashionista crowd.

• Like 3

Did Slash make too big a deal of Tobias playing over his solo? Or was it just an excuse to leave?

To be fair, it's a principal thing imo. Bro code. You don't do that shit, ever. You don't bring some friend of yours or some shit to be the second guitar player, or even to try and see if it works, when your guitarist said no, expressed his dislike for him and you've just said whatever, I'm doing it.

Then, The Tobias playing over his solo shit: that's like someone else is getting a bj from your GF while you're fucking her, without your approval, and he snuck in while you were having too much fun and closed your eyes for a minute just to take it all in, while she's taking it all in.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

Did Slash make too big a deal of Tobias playing over his solo? Or was it just an excuse to leave?

To be fair, it's a principal thing imo. Bro code. You don't do that shit, ever. You don't bring some friend of yours or some shit to be the second guitar player, or even to try and see if it works, when your guitarist said no, expressed his dislike for him and you've just said whatever, I'm doing it.

Then, The Tobias playing over his solo shit: that's like someone else is getting a bj from your GF while you're fucking her, without your approval, and he snuck in while you were having too much fun and closed your eyes for a minute just to take it all in, while she's taking it all in.

What I said above was that maybe Axl just thought he needed an ally in the band, an Izzy who would help him with his songs. He couldn't write with Gilby so he brought in Tobias.

Although on the face of it seems rude. But maybe Axl was in studio mode he was just giving his boy a try out and like what he heard. They definitely weren't on good terms. But was Slash being stubborn? I'm sure he could play with Tobias. He actually not have had to really for a while as Axl was going for a long recording period.

I think Slash could have tried and if it didn't work obviously live to the real detriment of everyone, then Axl would probably go a different way.

Still though I think it was heavy handed. It's almost like they were trading insults. Slash says no to Seymour ballads, Axl says no to snakepit, Axl kind of sacks Gilby? Axl brings in his buddy. For Axl it worked out he got IRS, Catcher, TWAT, Prostitute. What Slash needed to do is figure out a way to be useful to Axl, or quit.

just an excuse to leave

Yeah, cause Slash really needed one to leave. Please... Axl was already crazier then a ploombershneger at that point, it's not like it was a pleasure cruise. And not just for Slash. Needs to be said imo.

Not literally an excuse, just a cool way to explain quitting. He was going to quit anyway because he couldn't do Snakepit as is. It's weird that Axl being a dick would be forgotten if he could do the Snakepit record, Axl should have sensed that and just done it and toured it. Then maybe Slash would play on TIL later?

that's not an ultimate slap in the face as a musician in the band?

Not necessarily, I'm not sure, maybe.

I don't know the history of that incident real well. Didn't Tobias kind of double up, then extend it a bit? For Axl he just wanted to get the music right, kind of like the embryonic CD-approach. Creative but not really that sensitive.

I wonder if it's not as cut n dry as just replacing Slash's solo. Axl would probably say Slash wouldn't work on the solo. I think I remember something about Axl wanting it to be the same solo as on the original song? And Slash did his own version and refused to re-do it. I'll have to google that.

It's like the May Debacle. But really May didn't like the cut n paste of his two solos so Axl and Constanzo got Ron to do the solo.

What's the last block (of text) banging on about ?

Slash is doing great.. new album due out soon..

I kind of went into douchebag overdrive in the last part but I'm not saying anything bad.

Just how Slash's more rock n roll way of working kind of fits in with what consumers want these days. They want stimulus all the time. There's no need for huge blockbuster ballads and videos, it kind of suits Slash to not have to do that, and the songs get more even attention. I've taken AL as a whole rather than cherry pick the single, like I did with VR really. It's moderate rock. And getting that relationship with the fans through Classic Rock, there's a more personal intimate feel to it. And Axl is okay too even if the ass dropped out the cd market since the 90s, he's got the nostalgia tour thing which gives him a platform to play new stuff and have fun. I said they were both doing well but in a slightly more offensive way. Sorry about that.

I can see how it could happen though. Axl kind of rejects Snakepit, Slash refuses to work with Tobias, takes a dim view of even the idea of Seymour Ballads. Maybe Slash did one solo, Axl wanted something else and seeing as Tobias is his boy, Slash basically refusing to work with Axl, Axl sides or sees Tobias as his new guitarist and asks him to play over Slash. Slash leaves.

Still kind of a dick move, but if the solo wasn't finished and Slash refused to do another take, then not quite as bad within context of the general hostility between them it's not really anything. Axl not seeing a future with Slash doesn't care.

They just didn't like each other that much.

I can see how it could happen though. Axl kind of rejects Snakepit, Slash refuses to work with Tobias, takes a dim view of even the idea of Seymour Ballads. Maybe Slash did one solo, Axl wanted something else and seeing as Tobias is his boy, Slash basically refusing to work with Axl, Axl sides or sees Tobias as his new guitarist and asks him to play over Slash. Slash leaves.

Still kind of a dick move, but if the solo wasn't finished and Slash refused to do another take, then not quite as bad within context of the general hostility between them it's not really anything. Axl not seeing a future with Slash doesn't care.

But didn't Axl tried it with Zakk too? Slash didn't like that either. Sacked Gilby without considering what Slash wanted? Slash tried to write with Gilby. Granted, Gilby wasn't right for Guns as a songwriter in Axl's eyes, but there was a pattern of not giving a fuck about who Slash wanted to work with. Guitar players...you don't just stick them together and hope for the best. Not just guitar players, but yeah.

Axl brought Brian May and offered him to be in Guns when Robin left. Robin and Bucket didn't get along very well I think. Axl didn't learn from his mistake imo. Don't just stick them together and hope for the best. Lock them in a cage, take away the key. What the fuck. Natural chemistry is not a myth. Organic is the way to go for some. For Slash.

Axl didn't value Slash enough to consider what he didn't want. Or wanted it his way. Nah. You just don't.

Edited by Rovim

But didn't Axl triedit Zakk too? and sacked Gilby without considering what Slash wanted? Slash tried to write with Gilby. Granted, Gilby wasn't right for Guns as a songwriter in Axl's eyes, but there was a pattern of not giving a fuck about who Slash wanted to work with. Guitar players...you don't just stick them together and hope for the best. Not just guitar players, but yeah.

I think slash likes Zakk though, that's the difference. I think it's all about Axl finding a guitarist to work with or work for him. Gilby can write tunes and work with Slash. But neither really wanted to go where Axl wanted to go? And Slash seemed much more stubborn about it and so did Axl. They should have kept Gilby and brought in Tobias but Slash wouldn't want that either. He was trying to downscale it, Axl was trying to go big again. Reality is Slash was blocking what Axl wanted to do as well. If he didn't, if he work on the Seymour ballads or just with Axl then none of it would really matter and Gilby could stay. But there was a time period of creative uncertainty, that Axl might see as the genesis of a new project but Slash sees as frustration and gay. Rearranging the band, finding a new way to work, fuck that, let's just rock! But Axl's talking about doing this or that, and seeing what he did with CD I can't see Slash playing the Finck role of 1 song and some solos. And waiting 10 years to do it. With Axl at the helm doing mostly ballads. Even some of the rockers are like ballads. Ballad fuckin' City!!!

Edited by wasted

But didn't Axl triedit Zakk too? and sacked Gilby without considering what Slash wanted? Slash tried to write with Gilby. Granted, Gilby wasn't right for Guns as a songwriter in Axl's eyes, but there was a pattern of not giving a fuck about who Slash wanted to work with. Guitar players...you don't just stick them together and hope for the best. Not just guitar players, but yeah.

I think slash likes Zakk though, that's the difference. I think it's all about Axl finding a guitarist to work with or work for him. Gilby can write tunes and work with Slash. But neither really wanted to go where Axl wanted to go? And Slash seemed much more stubborn about it and so did Axl. They should have kept Gilby and brought in Tobias but Slash wouldn't want that either. He was trying to downscale it, Axl was trying to go big again. Reality is Slash was blocking what Axl wanted to do as well. If he didn't, if he work on the Seymour ballads or just with Axl then none of it would really matter and Gilby could stay. But there was a time period of creative uncertainty, that Axl might see as the genesis of a new project but Slash sees as frustration and gay. Rearranging the band, finding a new way to work, fuck that, let's just rock! But Axl's talking about doing this or that, and seeing what he did with CD I can't see Slash playing the Finck role of 1 song and some solos. And waiting 10 years to do it. With Axl at the helm doing mostly ballads. Even some of the rockers are like ballads. Ballad fuckin' City!!!

No, I agree: Slash cockblocked the shit out of what Axl was trying to do too. That don't make it cool though, what Axl did. It was...total disregard for what Slash wanted. They turned on each other imo.

Edited by Rovim

No, I agree: Slash cockblocked the shit out of what Axl was trying to do too. That don't make it cool though, what Axl did. It was...total disregard for what Slash wanted. They turned on each other imo.

Slash totally disregarded what Axl wanted. To me it looks like classic tit-for-tat type stuff. Even Axl saying not interested in Snakepit was probably response to Slash not taking interest in Seymour ballads. Which goes back to Axl having to force through Nov Rain. Slash was really out of step with what happened with Nov Rain and the videos, suddenly Axl was a pop star dating a supermodel. That song is all about Axl wearing cape and being Elton Rose and Slash helped him grudgingly. But after getting Axl'd on that tour he was probably sick of getting ass fucked. But he still could have helped Axl with his ballads but yeah he's probably been having a better time doing his own stuff. and Izzy is hilarious he just got out and let them tear each other apart. If he was in there working with Slash on material then they would have had an album to get Axl's interest maybe. But Snakepit is pretty patchy and TIL probably makes Slash weep.

Edited by wasted

Zakk Wylde would have been awful for GNR, it's one of those combos that might look good on paper but besides the fact he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes with Axl personality wise he had pretty much already lost his perspective on when not to widdle diddle by 1995- his playing had become a caricature of itself.

Sometimes less is more, but Zakk seems to have lost when not to squeal or shred...

Slash totally disregarded what Axl wanted. To me it looks like classic tit-for-tat type stuff. Even Axl saying not interested in Snakepit was probably response to Slash not taking interest in Seymour ballads. Which goes back to Axl having to force through Nov Rain. Slash was really out of step with what happened with Nov Rain and the videos, suddenly Axl was a pop star dating a supermodel. That song is all about Axl wearing cape and being Elton Rose and Slash helped him grudgingly. But after getting Axl'd on that tour he was probably sick of getting ass fucked. But he still could have helped Axl with his ballads but yeah he's probably been having a better time doing his own stuff.

But if you believe Axl, Slash and Duff refused to work on November Rain and Estranged. So it was more then just helping Axl but resenting him for it. He fought them to make it happen. Slash was not going to do that again. No more seymour ballads. They wanted different things musically.

I think Axl would have tried what Slash wanted to do, but they've already dun dat. So...Axl probably believed that he was the only one that was willing to move forward, and that he was responsible to make that happen. Whatever it takes. I can understand that. I can also understand someone like Slash, which is perfectly content with what he was doing and no more funny business. Dead end.

Edited by Rovim

I'm more on board with Axl bringing his buddy from Indiana to cover Izzy than bringing another lead player from Ozzy's solo band in. Axl was like trying to scare Slash straight. Shape up boy or I'll replace you with Pitman.

The angle you're coming at this from is very telling. Everything you say is embedded with the implicit assumption that it was Axl's band first and foremost. That's what he thought too. Didn't work out so well.

Slash totally disregarded what Axl wanted. To me it looks like classic tit-for-tat type stuff. Even Axl saying not interested in Snakepit was probably response to Slash not taking interest in Seymour ballads. Which goes back to Axl having to force through Nov Rain. Slash was really out of step with what happened with Nov Rain and the videos, suddenly Axl was a pop star dating a supermodel. That song is all about Axl wearing cape and being Elton Rose and Slash helped him grudgingly. But after getting Axl'd on that tour he was probably sick of getting ass fucked. But he still could have helped Axl with his ballads but yeah he's probably been having a better time doing his own stuff.

But if you believe Axl, Slash and Duff refused to work on November Rain and Estranged. So it was then just helping Axl but resenting him for it. He fought them to make it happen. Slash was not going to do that again. No more seymour ballads. They wanted different things musically.

I think Axl would have tried what Slash wanted to do, but they've already dun dat. So...Axl probably believed that he was the only one that was willing to move forward, and that he was responsible to make that happen. Whatever it takes. I can understand that. I can also understand someone like Slash, which is perfectly content with what he was doing and no more funny business. Dead end.

I agree. I think I said the first part in my own foggy way. This was an on going battle to remain the same sunset strip sewer rats. Axl had a cigarette holder and a dolphin I don't think that was ever going to happen.

The whole Axl as visionary thing is something Slash didn't seem to like. He seemed happy giving Axl songs to to sing on for UYI. But didn't like anything Axl added like deep vocals or quotes?

Axl's classic quote is "I've seen the future of rock n roll and I'm jealous" I'm not sure what he was referring to, probably Justin Bieber. but it could be like he saw a hologram of a band that was influenced by Nirvana, Faith No more, Rage Against Machine and NIN but had the classic rock dynamics of Zepp and Queen. Simple but genius idea. Axl travelled back from the future to show Axl what was needed.

I'm more on board with Axl bringing his buddy from Indiana to cover Izzy than bringing another lead player from Ozzy's solo band in. Axl was like trying to scare Slash straight. Shape up boy or I'll replace you with Pitman.

It was an epic choice imo. I think Axl N' Paul are a great little unit, Much like Axl and Izzy were. But...for real. This is Guns N' Roses. If you can have Slash in your band, you should first secure that shit. Find a better way to introduce such a radical idea (in Slash's opinion at least) not you know...force it on him. That never works. That's an anti machine. And he didn't like him and didn't think he had any talent.

So I think Paul was the right choice for a second guitar player, but did it ever had a chance with keeping Slash in the band? I don't know.