Homeland: Season 4 [SPOILERS]

So I haven't watched the episodes yet, but they did a double-episode premiere on Sunday night for the new season. Season 3 left me indifferent about things, and I'm skeptical (unfortunately) as to if the series can really continue and hold up well without Brody. I'm still interested in it though, and Season One was fantastic.

Anyone else still watching this show?

I dunno, I sort of have no interest if Damian Lewis isn't there. Saul's kinda cool, but I wouldn't watch just for him. F. Murray Abraham is the man, but I doubt he has a big role this season?

I was also put off by the trailers which show like 3 new main characters.

Edited by OmarBradley

They dragged the whole Brody story to the ground. That said, he was a much more interresting charachter than Carrie and last season was pretty bad until he showed up again. I have a hard time feeling anything for Carrie. I'd love if they wrote her story out of the series as well and develop/focus on Quinn. Quinn seems to be a main charachter which I like but with main charachters comes romantic plots which I could be without. Quinn says a great line towards Carrie in the end of the episode, it's exactly how I feel.

Didn't watch any trailers before watching the eipisodes but watched one now after OmarBradleys comment. I can say that one of those "main charachters" from the trailer gets killed pretty fast.

Edited by CheapJon

I agree with the above that the Brody story had dragged a bit. They had written themselves into a corner with him and couldn't really go any further. Although I think the show will miss the chemistry between him and Carrie, I think Carrie, Saul and Quinn are all interesting enough to carry the show.

Brody was a great character. But the plausibility destroying romance and his unfathomably boring yet screen time devouring family drove the show (and it's central character) into the ground and I'm glad it's been rebooted. I don't like Carrie, but she's compelling as hell, at least when she's not lovelorn. And Danes deserved much better than that crap, she's back in the form that won the show so much attention in the first place. Her awkwardness with the baby made me laugh out loud.

Brody was a great character. But the plausibility destroying romance and his unfathomably boring yet screen time devouring family drove the show (and it's central character) into the ground and I'm glad it's been rebooted. I don't like Carrie, but she's compelling as hell, at least when she's not lovelorn. And Danes deserved much better than that crap, she's back in the form that won the show so much attention in the first place. Her awkwardness with the baby made me laugh out loud.

She almost drowned her baby on purpose, yeah that wasn't hilarious.

Good episode except for the last scene. Isn't female CIA agents better than that? Fucking cheap.

It was icky (and clearly supposed to be, I least I fucking hope I so), but it's consistent. She used the same tactic with Brody initially, based on the idea that sex renders people more vulnerable than any interrogation technique. Presumably, this will go differently. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Carrie's too goddamn annoying. And really, they couldn't keep track on one fucking car there at the end? I don't know if it's redeeming itself or worth your valuable time.

Just watch it so I can post spoilers about the shit that happened. :P

Saul was in one vehicle, Haqqani in another.

Oh, 2 different cars, yeah that would be impossible. I'm guessing they at least keep track on one of the cars?

Carre has another breakdown, not because the talibans has her mentor and former CIA boss Saul, not because they lost another oppurtunity to elimante the taliban leader. No she breaks down because they killed her new boyfriend.

Haqqani would never be there in the first place if all they were gonna do was to kill the boy. If he would be there, he wouldn't show his face, he could use an umbrella or anything. Showing Sauls face towards the sky? Nah I don't buy that either, they would've filmed him and put him on the internet with demands or something.

Agents being clueless "what are they looking at?" SMH

I might start rooting for the talibans. I'll keep watching, there's some interresting plots involving the other charachters. A Shame that Carrie's the lead.

Note. I've been binging on The Wire the last 10 days or so, guess I've gotten used to the much better writing compared to Homeland.

Oh, 2 different cars, yeah that would be impossible. I'm guessing they at least keep track on one of the cars?

Carre has another breakdown, not because the talibans has her mentor and former CIA boss Saul, not because they lost another oppurtunity to elimante the taliban leader. No she breaks down because they killed her new boyfriend.

Haqqani would never be there in the first place if all they were gonna do was to kill the boy. If he would be there, he wouldn't show his face, he could use an umbrella or anything. Showing Sauls face towards the sky? Nah I don't buy that either, they would've filmed him and put him on the internet with demands or something.

Agents being clueless "what are they looking at?" SMH

I might start rooting for the talibans. I'll keep watching, there's some interresting plots involving the other charachters. A Shame that Carrie's the lead.

Note. I've been binging on The Wire the last 10 days or so, guess I've gotten used to the much better writing compared to Homeland.

IIRC, it wasn't clear which car they followed (or they didn't reveal it), but probably Haqqani.

I didn't read that scene as Carrie breaking down because "they'd killed her new boyfriend'. She'd argued to Fara that he was acceptable collateral damage and calmly took a nap before she expected to personally order the strike that would've killed him. In her mind his death in the context of nailing Haqquani was righteous. When everything went off the rails and suddenly her actions (which it was evident she had qualms about) had resulted in nothing more than the death of a relative innocent, that's when (and why) she cracked, IMO.

Genuinely great Wire level writing has never been this shows strong suit. :lol: I haven't enjoyed the show this much since it went off the rails mid season 2, though.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...