Axl '91

Clearly his best year as a performer in my opinion. HE we so fucking angry and raw. It came through in those pre- and early- illusions shows (I think they called it the 'Get in the Ring' tour). Whenever I go to view old Guns performances I prefer this vintage the most. I think this was the time he was going through heavy psychotherapy and a lot of issues/anger were coming out. In a later interview (if I'm not mistaken) he even said he was in no condition to be on the road in 1991. But I'm glad he did. His inner turmoil made for some great performances. Anyone else agree/disagree?

• Like 2

You nailed it by describing everything he was going through mentally. Early 90's Axl fell into a dark place in his life where he was putting childhood tragedies into perspective. Obviously that stemmed the aggression and passion we get in 91 at his concerts.

Really he stopped having fun at this time, he tried to put the weight of all negativity on his shoulders and I think it had the biggest impact on his life.

I prefer 88, his voice was spot on at this time, and I think we see a much more fun Axl. I feel kind of bad for Axl in 91. Most of what he went through was self imposed bc he couldn't leave his past in the past. He really went all out with the psychotherapy stuff.

The good thing about what he put himself through was he became more aware of his issues. He realized that abuse whether it be a child, wife, or girlfriend is not normal. He became aware of the burden his anger issues cause others. It helped him grow up and mature. He's still a very unique person so his maturity made him into a weird introspective misunderstood person, but all these considered it was a big year for Axl and the issues he faced had it's negatives and positives.

88-89 voice + anger from 91.

This would be my combination.

The true is that psychic problems got the best out of him, but sometimes it was just painful to watch him obviously struggling through his demons and pains.

Remembering that I was in my early teen years when got some vhs tapes with their performances. Even then I have been questioning myself what is wrong with that man.

Yes, the lates 80´s and early 90 is my all time favorite Axl. It´s true he said he wasn´t ready to tour in early 91. And maybe he was right, the band wasn´t much ready either. I remember reading in the Duff and Slash books that at the time RIR 91 was schedulded they didn´t have a new drummer yet. All was done in a rush. In the case of Axl in particular he might need that extra push to get things done. Sometimes being busy working is a good therapy too.

Yeah, that year was when he delivered the best crazy performances but I agree with the person who said his voice was too raspy at the time and it fucked up songs. Vocally speaking, I like that period when they used to perfom on American television like this one:

That one is perfection, even with all the censoring of the cuss words, the performance is unique and his voice is fabulous.

• Like 1

Yeah, that year was when he delivered the best crazy performances but I agree with the person who said his voice was too raspy at the time and it fucked up songs. Vocally speaking, I like that period when they used to perfom on American television like this one:

That one is perfection, even with all the censoring of the cuss words, the performance is unique and his voice is fabulous.

Vocally it's maybe better, but the anger man, the anger!

Im probably fairly easy to please... but i love watching all the old stuff.. from 88 to 93.. ill watch all of it.

Yeah his voice had its ups and downs and people like different time periods.. but me?? I just love all of it, even when its not perfect...

One of my all time favourites. Like you say: Perfection