2016 National Football League (NFL) Regular Season

Ace Nova

Man, many of you are rough pn Peyton (media as well). The guy went to 3 Super Bowls and won one of them, it's not like he NEVER won one. Is he the greatest QB ever? No. But when you add up his regular seasons AND playoffs he is easily top 5. Honestly I'd put him a head of Favre, Elway, Marino, Young, Aikman, Namath, Unitas, Bradshaw, and plenty of other legends. It seems like everytime the guy loses everyone wants to talk about his failers, well last time I checked Rodgers hasn't won anything for a few years and Brady is on an incredible SB drought. But the media likes to focus on their brilliance, instead of their short commings. Which I'm not saying Peyton is better (right now) than either of those guys, but career wise he is better than Rodgers, unless Rodgers gets another one. But the only QB's you can honestly say are better ALL TIME than Peyton are Brady and Montana, that's pretty good company if you ask me.

I honestly have no idea where you're coming from with this "everyone hates Peyton" thing. No one said he was a terrible quarterback or anything, most of us agree he chokes in the playoffs. And how could you disagree with that? 9 first-round losses, terrible (compared to regular season) stats, losing playoff record, etc. The year the Colts won the Super Bowl their defense carried them; Peyton threw 3 touchdowns and 7 picks, while their defense forced 13 turnovers.

Two stats to consider:

1.58 touchdowns/1 interceptions (per game), 88.5 quarterback rating, 11-13 record (.46 win percentage)

2.07 touchdowns/.914 interceptions (per game), 97.5 quarterback rating, 179-77 record (.70 win percentage)

The other two quarterbacks mentioned (Brady, Rodgers) don't have nearly the same drop off in stats in the postseason, hence why they don't get lumped into this.

Thoughts on Cowboys' off season

DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant are both free agents and will want a ton of money.

Coach Jason Garrett is also contactless.

Would you break the bank to keep the three? Or two of them? Or one of them? Or let them all go?

From what I understand, they intend to keep all three, and will use the tag on Bryant if they have to.

I would also assume Jerry keeps Garrett around. At least for Cowboys fans I would hope so.

Man, many of you are rough pn Peyton (media as well). The guy went to 3 Super Bowls and won one of them, it's not like he NEVER won one. Is he the greatest QB ever? No. But when you add up his regular seasons AND playoffs he is easily top 5. Honestly I'd put him a head of Favre, Elway, Marino, Young, Aikman, Namath, Unitas, Bradshaw, and plenty of other legends. It seems like everytime the guy loses everyone wants to talk about his failers, well last time I checked Rodgers hasn't won anything for a few years and Brady is on an incredible SB drought. But the media likes to focus on their brilliance, instead of their short commings. Which I'm not saying Peyton is better (right now) than either of those guys, but career wise he is better than Rodgers, unless Rodgers gets another one. But the only QB's you can honestly say are better ALL TIME than Peyton are Brady and Montana, that's pretty good company if you ask me.

I honestly have no idea where you're coming from with this "everyone hates Peyton" thing. No one said he was a terrible quarterback or anything, most of us agree he chokes in the playoffs.

I was talking more about the national media/ESPN than anyone here in particular. I just don't think its fair to call one of the greatest QB's and a SB champion a "choker." Which is something that a lot of people say about him. Is his record in the post season stellar? No. But it's also to his credit that he has been there so many times in order to play that many games. Brett Favre only won 1 ring, nobody called him a "choker," same goes for Steve Young and plenty others. That's my biggest point. I was always a HUGE Marino fan, and I didn't think he was "choker," he just never had very good teams. So a guy like Peyton, who I feel is superior to Marino, it just seems wrong and little disrespectful to talk about him like that, thats all. Sure everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I'm hardly a big Peyton or Bronco's fan, so at the end of the day it matters not to me. Just speaking my mind is all. :)

i like some of the broncos fans comments "time to go in another direction" i agree playoff appearances every year and a super bowl berth are overrated :lol: gutting your team due to going for it all with an aging qb coming off major neck surgery sounds like fun.

Its like when Roger Federer loses in a final of a Grand Slam. "Is he too old, is it time to hang it up?"

Um...he's #4 in the world and just lost in the final to the #1 in the world. No. No it is not.

Is Peyton washed up, should he just retire? Um. Playoffs. Again. Super Bowl his 2nd year with the team. Fuckin media.

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea where you're coming from with this "everyone hates Peyton" thing. No one said he was a terrible quarterback or anything, most of us agree he chokes in the playoffs.

I was talking more about the national media/ESPN than anyone here in particular. I just don't think its fair to call one of the greatest QB's and a SB champion a "choker." Which is something that a lot of people say about him. Is his record in the post season stellar? No. But it's also to his credit that he has been there so many times in order to play that many games. Brett Favre only won 1 ring, nobody called him a "choker," same goes for Steve Young and plenty others. That's my biggest point. I was always a HUGE Marino fan, and I didn't think he was "choker," he just never had very good teams. So a guy like Peyton, who I feel is superior to Marino, it just seems wrong and little disrespectful to talk about him like that, thats all. Sure everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I'm hardly a big Peyton or Bronco's fan, so at the end of the day it matters not to me. Just speaking my mind is all. :)

I called Peyton a choker, and he is. There's no other explanation for the drop in his play between the regular season and the playoffs. It's nothing personal, I believe Peyton is a top 5 QB as well, but he chokes in the playoffs.

Favre was a choker, too. Especially in the second half of his career. Steve Young didn't really take over for Montana until he was 30. Dan Marino had some awful teams that barely made it into the playoffs (not saying some of those later Colts teams were the greatest, but still better than the 90's Dolphins).

Trust me, whenever Peyton actually decides to retire, the media will go right back to kissing his ass. It's just the way things work. (Happened to Favre, too, despite his late-career choking)

Edited by Crazyman

I called Peyton a choker, and he is. There's no other explanation for the drop in his play between the regular season and the playoffs. It's nothing personal, I believe Peyton is a top 5 QB as well, but he chokes in the playoffs.

Favre was a choker, too. Especially in the second half of his career. Steve Young didn't really take over for Montana until he was 30. Dan Marino had some awful teams that barely made it into the playoffs (not saying some of those later Colts teams were the greatest, but still better than the 90's Dolphins).

Trust me, whenever Peyton actually decides to retire, the media will go right back to kissing his ass. It's just the way things work. (Happened to Favre, too, despite his late-career choking)

being a dolphin fan marino is the one i really feel bad for. marino had 1 1,000 yard rusher his whole career and the defenses were horrible. with marino it was throw this ball 40- 50 times score 40 points and win the game.that works well until you get to the playoffs and have to go to buffalo and play jim kelly, thurman thomas, andre reed, bruce smith in 10 degree weather with 40 mph winds with 0 running backs or no defense and you have to put up 40 attempts.

I don't understand how people can think this rule is bogus.

You have to complete possession when you are going to the ground. You can't catch passes off of a bounce on the ground can you? As soon as that ball hits the ground it is incomplete no questions asked. You must secure possession before the ball hits the ground, you must! I think that's a fair rule is it not.

And to the people saying he had possession and made a football move into the end zone.

I can see where you may think so in slow motion. But he made a huge leap and came down onto his feet simultaneously falling to the ground as he did. In real time you can tell this much easier. DEZ NEEDed to have the awareness to secure that ball!!! That's it! He lost the cowboys the game (4min to go still) by not securing the catch and not slamming the ball into the ground like an idiot.

And just because the packers are my team and I like to rub it in.

Jordy Nelson would have secured that catch ;)

the theory is Murray would be easier to replace than Bryant so you let Murray walk, resign Bryant, and put some money into the defense. Teams seem to find good RB'S in later rounds or even FA's these days.

murray scares the shit out of me i would not bring him back for big time money. the guy will be 27 next month, is injury proned and coming off a season where he carried the ball nearly 400 times. history has shown running backs coming back from a 300 carry season dont fair too well the next season.

Edited by bran

the theory is Murray would be easier to replace than Bryant so you let Murray walk, resign Bryant, and put some money into the defense. Teams seem to find good RB'S in later rounds or even FA's these days.

murray scares the shit out of me i would not bring him back for big time money. the guy will be 27 next month, is injury proned and coming off a season where he carried the ball nearly 400 times. history has shown running backs coming back from a 300 carry season dont fair too well the next season.
Exactly. This is the first season he has finnaly been healthy for the majority of his career. And he's not getting younger he's not going to be less injury prone with age. He has 2-3 years of top rb production at the most. I might bet he doesn't play a full 16 games (In one season) ever again. This is by no means a knock on damarco, it's just the fact in the nfl the lifespan of any rb is not long. Now dez can be catching passed playing big time for another 5+ years. He can be the cowboys Andre Johnson producing solid numbers for years and years you HAVE to keep Dez. Edited by Estranged Coma
  • Like 1

Check out the reaction of Gov. Chris "donuts" Christie to the Bryant overturned catch ruling. What is this guy doing hanging with Jerry Jones? Shouldn't he be rooting for the Giants or Jets? :lol:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2326549-nj-gov-chris-christie-has-perfect-reaction-to-controversial-dez-bryant-call?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=green-bay-packers

The 'Boys can NOT let Bryant go under any circumstances and Jerry will get it done. Only question is if they franchise him or sign him to longer term contract. The latter being far more attractive for all, but the $$'s will have to work depending upon who else they need to re-sign.

I'm sure they want to bring Murray back, but that O'line can make a lot of backs look exceptional. Ultimately I think Jones will find a way to keep his 3 Amigos(Romo, Bryant and Murray) intact, but no doubt Murray is the most expendable.

Is Witten definitely coming back or contemplating retirement? He's a huge piece as well at making another big run over the next couple of years...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

The 'Boys can NOT let Bryant go under any circumstances and Jerry will get it done. Only question is if they franchise him or sign him to longer term contract. The latter being far more attractive for all, but the $$'s will have to work depending upon who else they need to re-sign.

I'm sure they want to bring Murray back, but that O'line can make a lot of backs look exceptional. Ultimately I think Jones will find a way to keep his 3 Amigos(Romo, Bryant and Murray) intact, but no doubt Murray is the most expendable.

Is Witten definitely coming back or contemplating retirement? He's a huge piece as well at making another big run over the next couple of years...

That could be a tough one as they will not have a lot of cap wiggle room next year. Wouldn't they be better off letting Murray walk and investing the money in the D?

They have Randle who may be ready to go full time and should be able to pick up a good back later in the draft. With that line they don't need an expensive Superstar IMHO

http://dal.scout.com/story/1461480-cowboys-2015-salary-cap-overview-part-1-of-2

Is Murray a restricted free agent? I'm assuming Dez is unrestricted.

yeah both are unrestricted, i think dez will be back but murray is an unknown. with his age and the workload he just had he will probably go for top dollar and i wouldnt blame him.

I think the Cowboys should let Murray walk. They could probably sign someone like Adrian Peterson for cheaper if he manages to find himself in free agency. He comes with some baggage but in that offense he could have an enormous year. They need to keep Dez. If he leaves, the best WR's heading into next year are suddenly Terrence Williams and Cole Beasley, and that's not a thing that can happen. Tag him if you need to, but make sure he's a Cowboy for at least next season.

Rodgers just won the Pro Football Writers MVP. Not the same as the official award, but there are a decent number of writers who vote for both, so it's a pretty good sign he's going to win the official award as well.

Which I'd rather see him get it than Romo. I admit Romo had the best season of his career, but MVP? I think not. MVP's should go to players who are considered "the best" in their respective sports, which Tony Romo is not. He is still only top ten at best at his position, but no way is he top 5. I know Cowboy fans are going to argue that, but I'd like them to think about the last 5 plus years, excluding this year. Many of them didn't even want Romo as their quarterback anymore. MVP? I think not....

Honestly if a Cowboy desreves MVP talk it would be Murray, they rode his ass as far they could. But again, he doesn't have the credentials for MVP IMO.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Rodgers just won the Pro Football Writers MVP. Not the same as the official award, but there are a decent number of writers who vote for both, so it's a pretty good sign he's going to win the official award as well.

Which I'd rather see him get it than Romo. I admit Romo had the best season of his career, but MVP? I think not. MVP's should go to players who are considered "the best" in their respective sports, which Tony Romo is not. He is still only top ten at best at his position, but no way is he top 5. I know Cowboy fans are going to argue that, but I'd like them to think about the last 5 plus years, excluding this year. Many of them didn't even want Romo as their quarterback anymore. MVP? I think not....

Honestly if a Cowboy desreves MVP talk it would be Murray, they rode his ass as far they could. But again, he doesn't have the credentials for MVP IMO.

But MVP is just for this season - not an accumulative award. You don't have to be one of the five best players currently playing to win the MVP.

Most writers were picking Dallas to win 4-5 games this year. People were saying Dallas needed to draft a QB because of Tony's age/injuries and lack of ability to win the "big" game. He (and they) defied everybody wrong, won 12 games and went to the playoffs. And doing so with a back injury. Really great story. Especially considering this guy wasn't even DRAFTED!!!!

Think about that. Redskins traded (I think) think THREE first round picks for the rights to RG3. Three first round picks for RG3. Dallas got Romo from a tryout. Pats got Brady in the 6th round.

I've got no problem with Rogers winning the thing though. I hope he has enough in his tank to beat Seattle and Pete The Cheat.

You are not wrong, Apollo. MVP is supposed to be awarded by that individual season. But my point is that it very rarely, if ever is awarded based upon that criteria. That's why year in and year out, only a handful of players in each sport have a realistic chance to win it, because its basically saying you were the absolute best in your sport for that season. So by definition, you already have to be elite. That's why you don't see players come from nowhere and win it, those players get Most Improved Player awards and what not. Now if Romo plays this well next season, I think more voters would take him seriously. But one great year, an MVP does not get.

But MVP is just for this season - not an accumulative award.

I've got no problem with Rogers winning the thing though. I hope he has enough in his tank to beat Seattle and Pete The Cheat.

Yet you've tried debating that Romo deserves the award, mainly based off his play in December. Interesting...

(Second part) And I agree. If Rodgers (well, the Packers, but if gimpy Rodgers goes Godgers-like and) wins this week, he'll replace all my hero-like status of Favre in my memory. That would be the ultimate upset.

Also, I'd purchase a ticket to the Super Bowl immediately afterwards, regardless of the price.