Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Where is James Shields going to sign?

What would you do with Arod if you were the Yankees? The guy's stats have been on decline for several years now. He is old, fragile and a below average hitter and defender who will be making 25 million dollars or whatever it is. And is set to receive huge million dollar bonuses this year for passing a couple hall of fame players on the home run list.

If I ran the Yankees I'd send Arod to the Double A team and make him play there all season. That way he wouldn't be a distraction to the MLB squad (taking away media from the productive players) and he'd boost attendance for all the minor league games.

Don't know if they can send him to the minors with out designating him for assignment which he is sure to refuse and he would be come a free agent. They would still have to pay him as he has a guaranteed contract.

They would love to get rid of him along with the majority of his salary but if the guy can hit 20 HR's and drive in some runs they may just live with him

Definitely agree that he should be sent down to the minors if the Yankees can't get out of the contract. Or trade him for chump change to a team that will take anyone (cough, cough, Marlins) while still paying the majority of his contract. Might as well get something back like a decent draft pick.

You can't trade draft picks in baseball so the Yankees would most likely have to pay almost all of his salary and might get back a AAA roster filler player at best.

In fact you can't trade someone you draft for a least one year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/the-pete-incaviglia-rule.html

Edited by classicrawker

What would you do with Arod if you were the Yankees? The guy's stats have been on decline for several years now. He is old, fragile and a below average hitter and defender who will be making 25 million dollars or whatever it is. And is set to receive huge million dollar bonuses this year for passing a couple hall of fame players on the home run list.

If I ran the Yankees I'd send Arod to the Double A team and make him play there all season. That way he wouldn't be a distraction to the MLB squad (taking away media from the productive players) and he'd boost attendance for all the minor league games.

Don't know if they can send him to the minors with out designating him for assignment which he is sure to refuse and he would be come a free agent. They would still have to pay him as he has a guaranteed contract.

They would love to get rid of him along with the majority of his salary but if the guy can hit 20 HR's and drive in some runs they may just live with him

It was bugging me so I finally found the rules where the Yankees can't send Arod to the minors without his permission. Once a player has 5 years of service a team cannot send him to the minors without his permission. The only other choice is to release him. If they do this they still have to pay him his full contract.

They also can't trade Arod without his permission as he is a 10/5 man meaning he has 10 years MLB service and 5 years with the same team.

http://assets.espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

SO unless he gets tired of the abuse he is going to get in NY this coming season, and either retires or agrees to a trade if the Yanks can swing one, they are stuck with him.

Edited by classicrawker

It was bugging me so I finally found the rules where the Yankees can't send Arod to the minors without his permission. Once a player has 5 years of service a team cannot send him to the minors without his permission. The only other choice is to release him. If they do this they still have to pay him his full contract.

They also can't trade Arod without his permission as he is a 10/5 man meaning he has 10 years MLB service and 5 years with the same team.

SO unless he gets tired of the abuse he is going to get in NY this coming season and either retires or agrees to a trade if the Yanks can swing one they are stuck with him.

So they are stuck with him.

I suppose they could just rarely play him. Let him occasionally pinch-hit.

The dude is breaking down, is old and fragile, and right now is a below average baseball player.........making 25 million bucks or whatever it is. The best the Yanks could hope for is 120 games, 15 homers and 240 average. That's a one million dollar player, not 25 million bucks. So do you take playing time away from a younger player who could probably give you the same numbers?

Arod receives a SIX million dollar bonus if he hits six home runs next year.

Edited by Apollo

SO unless he gets tired of the abuse he is going to get in NY this coming season and either retires or agrees to a trade if the Yanks can swing one they are stuck with him.

So they are stuck with him.

I suppose they could just rarely play him. Let him occasionally pinch-hit.

The dude is breaking down, is old and fragile, and right now is a below average baseball player.........making 25 million bucks or whatever it is. The best the Yanks could hope for is 120 games, 15 homers and 240 average. That's a one million dollar player, not 25 million bucks. So do you take playing time away from a younger player who could probably give you the same numbers?

Arod receives a SIX million dollar bonus if he hits six home runs next year.

Girardi is saying all the politically correct things about welcoming him back but Arod tried to schedule a meeting with the Yankee brass to clear the air and they turned him down so they are pretty pissed off with him.

If I had to guess I bet they will keep him on the team, if for nothing else but as an early season attendance draw, as unless a lot of things go right they could be a sub .500 team this year and need some gimmick to fill those expensive seats in the new Yankee Stadium. Best case he actually has a decent year 20-30hrs, close to 100rbi's as a DH and they get some return for their money. Worst case he sucks, ends up being a cancer in the clubhouse, and they have to eat his contract to get rid of him.

Either way I would be surprised if they outright cut him.

Edit: and as soon as I post this the Yankees agree to meet with Arod to try to clear the air...and so it begins

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/12289654/brian-cashman-says-alex-rodriguez-new-york-yankees-clear-air-spring-training

Edited by classicrawker

Shields signs with Padres 4 years around $75 million with an option for a 5th year.

Incredible makeover for the Padres this off season. So will all these changes add up to a contender or are they this years version of the Toronto Blue Jays where they look formidable on paper but it never translates on the field?

Grantland article: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-babe-prime-pedro-and-baby-bryce-taking-a-trip-through-major-league-baseballs-film-and-video-archive/

It includes footage from a 1924 instructional film featuring Dazzy Vance, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, and Walter Johnson. Also included is video of the 1905 New York Giants raising their 1904 pennant (Christy Mathewson is in the video), highlights of the Expos and Cardinals in 1982, a teenage Bryce Harper playing at junior college, and spring training shots that they think are from the 1950s.

Edited by ronaldo9

Shields signs with Padres 4 years around $75 million with an option for a 5th year.

Incredible makeover for the Padres this off season. So will all these changes add up to a contender or are they this years version of the Toronto Blue Jays where they look formidable on paper but it never translates on the field?

I'm not sure yet. They literally could make a run at the world series - or just be a .500 team (ala Toronto, like you said).

They picked up guys who have some question marks and you never know how that is going to turn out.

Kemp - injury prone, known to be a clubhouse Diva. Having superstars in the clubhouse that cry and moan is never a good thing. But he did really turn it up the second half of the season. If healthy and happy all year, this dude could give them 35 homers and hit 300.

Upton is another stud - who brings some baggage.

Dee Gordon. One year wonder? This is a guy who had about a .250 average before last year, and he really tailed off in the second half of the season. You have to wonder when a guy comes out of nowhere to have a career year. Can he repeat that success or does he fall back to his old norm?

Shields is a great number two starter, I think that was a great signing.

They've got a great young pitching staff, though I worry about Ross getting hurt this season.

They certainly added a lot of offense - but they play in a pitcher's park.

And I don't really think they are going to be that great defensively.

At least they put themselves in the position to be successful. Will be interesting to see what happens. With a few breaks they could win 95 games. With a few down years and injuries, they could go 81-81.

I'll just say this before the season starts so as not to seem as my opinion has been scewed during play.

Why is the season so fucking long. 162 games? Does anyone actually follow that? Even when the Mariners were good I couldn't bring myself to give a shit all through the season.

I'll just say this before the season starts so as not to seem as my opinion has been scewed during play.

Why is the season so fucking long. 162 games? Does anyone actually follow that? Even when the Mariners were good I couldn't bring myself to give a shit all through the season.

yeah i think the season could be a month or so shorter or at least play more doubleheaders like they did in the old days. me personally i watch games when i can but i usually check box scores and check the scores around the league out. i do watch it as much as i can because its my favorite sport but it does drag sometimes.

yeah i think the season could be a month or so shorter or at least play more doubleheaders like they did in the old days. me personally i watch games when i can but i usually check box scores and check the scores around the league out. i do watch it as much as i can because its my favorite sport but it does drag sometimes.

I do like the fact that there's a game nearly every night. Means something's on TV every night, especially during the summer when most of the shows I watch are on break. Watch as many games as I can, as well, or at least have it on in the background. I wouldn't mind seeing scheduled doubleheaders, but my biggest issue with the game is the total time for games, not really the number of games. Would like to see less time between pitches and between batters.

for the same reason they keep adding teams to the playoffs..........$$$$$$$$$$$

yankees retiring #46 for andy pettitte

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25070169/yankees-to-retire-no-46-in-honor-of-andy-pettitte

also being reported by the new york daily news mark feinsand that #51 and #20 will also be retired for bernie williams and jorge posada.

JMO while all three were above average players I am not sure they warrant having their numbers retired.

If this keeps up future Yankee players will be wearing uni's with three digit numbers. :lol:

Edited by classicrawker

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25070169/yankees-to-retire-no-46-in-honor-of-andy-pettitte

also being reported by the new york daily news mark feinsand that #51 and #20 will also be retired for bernie williams and jorge posada.

JMO while all three were above average payers I am not sure they warrant having their numbers retired.

If this keeps up future Yankee players will be wearing uni's with three digit numbers. :lol:

or letters next to the numbers. like 46b or 46c :lol:

bernie is my all time favorite baseball player but to me these 3 should have plaques not their number retired IMO.

JMO while all three were above average payers I am not sure they warrant having their numbers retired.

or letters next to the numbers. like 46b or 46c :lol:

bernie is my all time favorite baseball player but to me these 3 should have plaques not their number retired IMO.

There are so many old Yankees who are on Posada's and Bernie's level IMHO.

Why not retire Winfield, O'Neil, Pinella, Nettles, T. Martinez, Lyle, Chambliss, Mussina, Gossage, Murcer, Pepitone, Stottlemyre and the list could go on.

This used to be a pretty exclusive list but I think it is getting watered down. :shrugs:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/retired_numbers.jsp

I wonder what people 150 - 200 years from now will say when most Yankee numbers are no longer available. Do we really think that anyone 200 years from now is going to care who Bernie Williams was? Granted, assuming humanity still exists, but I find the whole retiring numbers very strange. Other than Jackie Robinson, I'm not a fan of anyone's number being retired.

It's a number, get over yourself.

• Like 1

I wonder what people 150 - 200 years from now will say when most Yankee numbers are no longer available. Do we really think that anyone 200 years from now is going to care who Bernie Williams was? Granted, assuming humanity still exists, but I find the whole retiring numbers very strange. Other than Jackie Robinson, I'm not a fan of anyone's number being retired.

thats why i like plaques so people in the future can read and see what these players did for the team. i think bernie, jorge, and pettitte all deserve to be remembered for what they did for the yankees and the dynasty they helped build but you can do that better in plaques than just a number on the wall.

• Like 1

thats why i like plaques so people in the future can read and see what these players did for the team. i think bernie, jorge, and pettitte all deserve to be remembered for what they did for the yankees and the dynasty they helped build but you can do that better in plaques than just a number on the wall.

Agreed. I can just imagine 150 years a player being called up from the minors and not being able to choose his number because there aren't any left.

"Can I have #6?"

"No! You get 69."

"Why not?"

"First, because that's all that's left. Second, because some guy named Joe Torre 150 years ago won four World Series as a manager."

"Who? And he didn't even play?"

"Nope, now get out to right field; pay no attention to all the 69 jokes from the stands."

/scene

• Like 1