Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

I wonder what people 150 - 200 years from now will say when most Yankee numbers are no longer available. Do we really think that anyone 200 years from now is going to care who Bernie Williams was? Granted, assuming humanity still exists, but I find the whole retiring numbers very strange. Other than Jackie Robinson, I'm not a fan of anyone's number being retired.

It's a number, get over yourself.

Do you feel the HoF is also too over the top and a vanity award? not trying to be a dick just curious.

I have no issue with retired numbers but IMHO it should be reserved for HoF caliber players otherwise it becomes meaningless.

I wonder what people 150 - 200 years from now will say when most Yankee numbers are no longer available. Do we really think that anyone 200 years from now is going to care who Bernie Williams was? Granted, assuming humanity still exists, but I find the whole retiring numbers very strange. Other than Jackie Robinson, I'm not a fan of anyone's number being retired.

Do you feel the HoF is also too over the top and a vanity award? not trying to be a dick just curious.

I have no issue with retired numbers but IMHO it should be reserved for HoF caliber players otherwise it becomes meaningless.

I agree. Hall of fame or career players, or those taken by tragedy. Like, Jeter. Probably retire. A-Rod, not so much.

Not really, I don't have much of an issue with wanting to celebrate truly great players of any particular sport. Hall of Fames are great for doing that. I'm far from qualified on judging whether such institutions have become diluted (with the exception of the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, which is becoming a sad institution for who they're including), but I think they play a role in connecting people in the present with a particular sports' history. Nothing wrong with that.

The issue with retiring numbers, at least for me, is that it bestows far too much importance to one particular player. Not taking away from their achievements, but I just don't believe in the practice of retiring numbers. It sort of monopolizes the game for the present players without much consideration for the many generations that are too follow. It's part and parcel with the bigger problem that's all too common: that we think we're far more significant to history than we really are. We matter to a couple of generations before and a couple of generations after. But subsequent generations will likely give a rats ass about how great of player Derrick Jeter was or who won the 2008 World Series. We should honour participants who excel at their sport, but I'm adverse to making them saints for all future generations. I like sports, but a big part of me thinks we put way more importance on them than we really should. Such reverence should be saved for people who make positive changes to the planet and their fellow man. That's why I'm okay with retiring number 47 for the social implications that number represents. A guy who can accurate throw a ball 95 mph for ten to fifteen years should be given respect and cheered, but I think various communities would be better off if they weren't elevated to God-like statuses.

I enjoy sports, but as I get older and try to figure out what's important in life, I'm reminded how little sports actually matter to my real life. While I enjoy when my hometown team wins, I don't understand the despondent nature some get when their teams lose. But hey, that's just me.

Not really, I don't have much of an issue with wanting to celebrate truly great players of any particular sport. Hall of Fames are great for doing that. I'm far from qualified on judging whether such institutions have become diluted (with the exception of the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, which is becoming a sad institution for who they're including), but I think they play a role in connecting people in the present with a particular sports' history. Nothing wrong with that.

The issue with retiring numbers, at least for me, is that it bestows far too much importance to one particular player. Not taking away from their achievements, but I just don't believe in the practice of retiring numbers. It sort of monopolizes the game for the present players without much consideration for the many generations that are too follow. It's part and parcel with the bigger problem that's all too common: that we think we're far more significant to history than we really are. We matter to a couple of generations before and a couple of generations after. But subsequent generations will likely give a rats ass about how great of player Derrick Jeter was or who won the 2008 World Series. We should honour participants who excel at their sport, but I'm adverse to making them saints for all future generations. I like sports, but a big part of me thinks we put way more importance on them than we really should. Such reverence should be saved for people who make positive changes to the planet and their fellow man. That's why I'm okay with retiring number 47 for the social implications that number represents. A guy who can accurate throw a ball 95 mph for ten to fifteen years should be given respect and cheered, but I think various communities would be better off if they weren't elevated to God-like statuses.

I enjoy sports, but as I get older and try to figure out what's important in life, I'm reminded how little sports actually matter to my real life. While I enjoy when my hometown team wins, I don't understand the despondent nature some get when their teams lose. But hey, that's just me.

I agree that sports figures are probably given too much importance in our society. Not sure I see the difference in inducting someone in the HoF or retiring his number though. Can you imagine a Yankee player wearing Babe Ruth's #3 or Gehrig's, DiMaggio or Mantle's numbers? I sure can't.

And while I agree the majority of casual sports fans may not remember Jeter I guarantee you hardcore Yankee fans will and his legend is sure to overshadow his actual accomplishments as time passes.

But I also agree that as I get older sports has less and less impact on my life. I am a big Packer fan but I was over the loss to Seattle 15 minutes after the game was over.

I agree. Hall of fame or career players, or those taken by tragedy. Like, Jeter. Probably retire. A-Rod, not so much.

IMHO Jeter was a special Yankee who had a HoF career with one team and was the face of the team so I have no argument retiring his number.

I think Mattingly could have been that special HoF caliber player for the Yankees if his chronic back problems had not ended his career. I loved Mattingly and he was my favorite player at the time but I would not have retired his number and he did not play long enough to be a HoF player IMHO.

i think posada has a good shot at the HOF

I guess when you compare him to the catchers already in the HoF, which aren't many, he could be on the cusp of being considered but I don't think he has enough for the modern baseball writers to vote him in. If you compare him to Fisk or Carter he falls short. Tough for a catcher to get elected.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/posadjo01.shtml

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofstca.shtml

I do think that with the current round of Yankee retired numbers, it's getting too watered down. Posada and Pettite are NOT Ruth and Gehrig. They're not up to the level of Yogi Berra. The Yankees are kind of overdoing it. But I like the idea of retiring numbers in general. It just has to be done more sparingly. Like others have said, plaques are a good alternative. The Mets have a "Mets Hall of Fame" that includes players like Tug McGraw, Mookie Wilson, etc., who are Mets favorites and very solid players who helped create the Mets identity in their era, but they aren't Cooperstown level players, or even retired number level. It's still a way to honor and celebrate their important contribution.

Anyway...

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT TODAY!!!!!!!!

I have my tickets for the Mets @ Braves, March 4th in Kissimmee. Really looking forward to the first Mets game of the year!

• Like 1

I do think that with the current round of Yankee retired numbers, it's getting too watered down. Posada and Pettite are NOT Ruth and Gehrig. They're not up to the level of Yogi Berra. The Yankees are kind of overdoing it. But I like the idea of retiring numbers in general. It just has to be done more sparingly. Like others have said, plaques are a good alternative. The Mets have a "Mets Hall of Fame" that includes players like Tug McGraw, Mookie Wilson, etc., who are Mets favorites and very solid players who helped create the Mets identity in their era, but they aren't Cooperstown level players, or even retired number level. It's still a way to honor and celebrate their important contribution.

Anyway...

I have my tickets for the Mets @ Braves, March 4th in Kissimmee. Really looking forward to the first Mets game of the year!

Nice Dirty! back in the late 80's early 90's, when I was single, I used to go to Ft Lauderdale every spring for the first week of Spring Training when that was the Yankees Spring home to catch games. From there I would also drive up to West Palm Beach to catch Braves games when the Yanks were out of town or off and even drove up to Port St Lucie to catch a Mets- Yanks game.

You used to be able to grab tickets at the box office on game day or from people selling extras in the parking lot back then for less than $10 a game.

Nothing like Spring ball in Florida.!

Anyway...

Nice Dirty! back in the late 80's early 90's, when I was single, I used to go to Ft Lauderdale every spring for the first week of Spring Training when that was the Yankees Spring home to catch games. From there I would also drive up to West Palm Beach to catch Braves games when the Yanks were out of town or off and even drove up to Port St Lucie to catch a Mets- Yanks game.

You used to be able to grab tickets at the box office on game day or from people selling extras in the parking lot back then for less than $10 a game.

Nothing like Spring ball in Florida.!

Yeah, now tickets are getting pricey for just spring training. I paid $70 for two upper deck tickets to an early exhibition. Sheesh! It will cost less to get comparable tickets to regular season Rays games. I'm actually going to miss being in NC where we had to MLB, but we had Triple-A, which was close enough in quality but at rock bottom prices. Maybe I won't mind so much once I reach a point in life that I have some money to burn, if ever that day comes.

• Like 1

Sporting prices are ridiculous.

I just paid $300 to go to a Lakers game. I had to go alone, taking my family would have been a $1,200 bill.

To see one game.

The sad thing is organizations are pricing normal people out of attending their event.

I spent a summer in Los Angeles as a kid with my two cousins and we went to Disney land a couple times, six flags a couple times, multiple Dodger games. NOW???? You can only afford to go do those things one time as a special event.

The NBA is about to get a huge revenue boost..........do you think the owners will make ticket prices affordable?

Rule changes being implemented this year to speed up the game:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12351883/major-league-baseball-announce-pace-play-rules?ex_cid=sportscenterTW

Major League Baseball has implemented significant pace-of-play rule changes for the 2015 season in an effort to speed up the game, it was announced Friday.

The rules include mandating that managers stay in the dugout during replay challenges, that hitters keep at least one foot in the batter's box during at-bats, a prompt return to play after TV commercial breaks and timed pitching changes.

"These changes represent a step forward in our efforts to streamline the pace of play," MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "The most fundamental starting point for improving the pace of the average game involves getting into and out of breaks seamlessly. In addition, the batter's box rule will help speed up a basic action of the game."

The league, which announced the changes with the MLB Players Association, established a pace-of-game committee in September aimed at making recommendations to speed up games, which grew to a record average of 3 hours, 2 minutes in 2014, up from 2:33 in 1981.

Players who violate the rules will receive a warning, with "flagrant violators" subject to a series of fines up to $500, sources familiar with the changes told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. The intention is not to impose penalties but rather to help change the habits of current players in an effort to speed up the game, sources told Stark.

The new rules begin in spring training, but the warnings and fines will not be imposed until May, as spring training and the first month of the regular season will be a phase-in period.

Speed-up rules in the major leagues required the OK of the players' union, and baseball officials had said a pitch clock was ruled out for this season. However, sources told Stark that Major League Baseball will begin to compile data and inform all pitchers how long they take between pitches.

Several new mandates, including the batter's box rule, were tried out during the Arizona Fall League in October and November.

The batter's box rule remains in place unless an established exception occurs. Those exceptions include swinging at a pitch, foul balls, foul tips, if the hitter is brushed back by a pitch, time granted by the umpire and wild pitches.

Also, two timers -- on or near the scoreboard and another on the facade behind home plate near the press box -- will be used in every major league ballpark to help quicken the pace. For each half-inning break, teams will have either 2 minutes, 25 seconds (for local telecasts) or 2 minutes, 45 seconds (national telecasts) from the time the commercial break begins until the first pitch should be thrown to the next batter, who should be in the batter's box with no fewer than 20 seconds remaining on that timer.

If a pitcher fails to complete the traditional eight warm-up pitches before the timer reaches 30 seconds, he forfeits the right to do so.

"The players believe that enforcing the rules that currently exist regarding between inning breaks and plate appearances is the best way to address the issue of pace of play," MLBPA executive director Tony Clark said in a statement. "We're confident that today's announcements will have a positive impact on the pace of the game without jeopardizing the integrity of the competition."

San Diego Padres manager Bud Black said he hopes the changes will help lead to a brisker pace without altering baseball's competitive dynamic.

"I think it's a good thing that we're exploring certain ways to speed up a little bit of the dead time,'' Black said Friday from Padres camp. "There's dead time all the way throughout a game -- in between innings, in between pitches, and when guys are taking their at-bats. There's some time that can be crunched a little bit to help the pace.

"But I think we're all conscious of the way the game flows -- especially late in the game, when decisions might be at the highest for a manager or a pitcher-catcher combination. You don't want to let the pace of play interfere with conversations between a pitcher and a catcher, or from a pitching coach talking about strategy. Those are the things I think we worry about when you talk about pace of play.''

The new replay rules intend to reduce the time managers spend chatting with umps while awaiting recommendations from video coordinators or their own coaches.

Among the changes, managers now can review whether a runner left a base early or properly touched a base. However, managers must now use a challenge for a review of the collision rule, which was decided by umpires in 2014.

Managers are encouraged to request a replay -- either verbally or with a hand signal -- from the dugout instead of walking out on the field to challenge a call. This should take place within 20 to 30 seconds of the original call being made, sources told Stark.

Managers, who used to retain their challenges after the first overturned call, now will retain their challenges after every call that is overturned. In addition, they will get a new second challenge to use during during regular-season tiebreaker games, the All-Star Game and postseason games.

"The Pace of Game Committee wants to take measured steps as we address this industry goal to quicken the pace of our great game," said Atlanta Braves president John Schuerholz, who was the chairman of the Pace of Game and Replay Committee. "It is not an objective of ours to achieve a dramatic time reduction right away; it is more important to develop a culture of better habits and a structure with more exact timings for non-game action."

I don't mind speeding up the game. There is too much time in between pitches.

After every pitch the batter doesn't need to take 30 seconds to step out, re-adjust both batting gloves, check his cup, adjust his hat, spit, squeeze the bat, etc, etc, etc........then take a ball outside and step out and do it again.

Watch some of the old games that ESPN classic shows. I'm always amazed at how fast paced the game used to be played. Half the time guys didn't even step out of the box between pitches.

I can also tell you as a coach and former short stop, your defense LIKES a faster paced game. Especially on a cold or really hot day. Nobody wants to just stand around for 15 minutes twittling their thumbs while the pitcher and batter take 45 seconds between each pitch.

Game definitely needs to speed up, it's getting hard to get casual fans to the game.

Now that rosters are pretty much settled, who do you guys like as potential WS contenders if you were betting today? The Nats seem like the easy pick but its also hard argue against that depth. The Sox are intriguing purely because of their bats, the pitching staff is a giant question mark, however I bet they get Cueto or Price at the deadline. The mariners are an intriguing dark horse. I know the Dodgers are an annual pick but I dont believe in them. The Cardinals somehow manage to put it together each year but I dont know if they have it. The Cubs just aren't quite there yet, the bats need to develop.

If I had to put money in vegas to day Id bet on a Nationals-Red Sox world series but would of course feel shaky about it

11037562_10203917749244717_4121044545547

My girlfriend and I at the first spring training game of the Mets season, Mets at Braves at Disney World. Mets won 8-2. They were mostly playing their bench players plus a couple non-star starters. Didn't see David Wright or Daniel Murphy. Oh well. Still, they all looked really solid. We may have a good team this year. I'm betting the Mets will go slightly better than .500. Going again on Tuesday. Hopefully we'll see a couple bigger names then.

I read that Harvey was throwing smoke today. Hit 99 on the gun, breaking stuff looked good. The mets have a solid rotation if Degrom doesnt regress and Syndergaard steps up. Need those bats though. Luckily you'll get to beat up on the Phillies all year

Went to the Mets game again today. Mets lost 3-2, but they truthfully outplayed the Braves. Fat old Bartolo Colon (why is he on the team?) gave up a three run homer to Freddy Freeman in the third inning, his last inning. But defensively the Mets looked great. I do hope the Mets can increase run production, but they are solid in most other aspects. I predict an 86-76 season, falling just a little short of playoffs.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

Went to the Mets game again today. Mets lost 3-2, but they truthfully outplayed the Braves. Fat old Bartolo Colon (why is he on the team?) gave up a three run homer to Freddy Freeman in the third inning, his last inning. But defensively the Mets looked great. I do hope the Mets can increase run production, but they are solid in most other aspects. I predict an 86-76 season, falling just a little short of playoffs.

colon isnt that bad is he? you could do a lot worse for a mid- late rotation guy you could have chris capuano

Stroman out for the season with torn ACL. Guess we don't need to worry about the Jays ending its streak of 21 straight seasons of not making the playoffs :(

Stroman was really the key to the Jays playoffs? Sanchez or Norris could easily step up and fill that role. They still have the best 3-4-5 possibly in baseball (if encarnacion and Bautista keep doing what they do. You know Donaldson will). I wouldnt be so bummed, especially since the AL East has not truly GREAT team. Every AL east team has a glaring flaw. That division is wide open

Re: Colon. he's not a bad back end starter at all. Plus watching his ABs is high comedy.

Also who do you guys like for the AL? No clear favorite. A lot of writers are all in on the Mariners. I can see why but their rotation depth concerns me. Also nelson cruz will not hit 40 bombs again. And Fernando Rodney is combustible. I do honestly think they Red Sox have a real chance if the rotation figures itself out. Rick Porcello could be a stud. Also don't sleep on the indians. Lots of of young pitching.

Sanchez could plug the hole, but I still think he needs another year in the bullpen at the MLB level or a season of starts in triple A to become a dominant starter. Norris still needs another season or two of development.

Stroman was the Jays best pitcher in the second half of last season. Though he was slotted for the number three spot, I'd argue he could have easily been the Jays ace this season. But who knows, maybe Sanchez and Norris can step up like Stroman did last season.