Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Stroman out for the season with torn ACL. Guess we don't need to worry about the Jays ending its streak of 21 straight seasons of not making the playoffs :(

Stroman was really the key to the Jays playoffs? Sanchez or Norris could easily step up and fill that role. They still have the best 3-4-5 possibly in baseball (if encarnacion and Bautista keep doing what they do. You know Donaldson will). I wouldnt be so bummed, especially since the AL East has not truly GREAT team. Every AL east team has a glaring flaw. That division is wide open

Re: Colon. he's not a bad back end starter at all. Plus watching his ABs is high comedy.

Also who do you guys like for the AL? No clear favorite. A lot of writers are all in on the Mariners. I can see why but their rotation depth concerns me. Also nelson cruz will not hit 40 bombs again. And Fernando Rodney is combustible. I do honestly think they Red Sox have a real chance if the rotation figures itself out. Rick Porcello could be a stud. Also don't sleep on the indians. Lots of of young pitching.

wow good question about the AL, its a crap shoot. i agree about the red sox though if buchholz can get back to what he showed 4 or 5 years ago(hell just 2 years before the injury) and porcello who is still young and developing can keep getting better, with the potential of the offense i think the red sox could take it but its still a lot of if's, i also like what the indians are doing. im also interested in watching the cubs this year in the NL, lots of big up and coming talent in that system.

Yeah, don't know who to go with in the AL. Maybe the Angels? Could be a possibility of an "LA" World Series.

Will Ferrell will apparently play all nine positions tomorrow. Don't know too much about--apparently something for Funny or Die and charity. Not a huge fan of his, but will check this out since he's apparently playing 3B for the Reds during the fifth inning tomorrow. Don't know what other teams he'll play for--is suppose to travel between games by helicopter.

Edited by ronaldo9

Yeah, don't know who to go with in the AL. Maybe the Angels? Could be a possibility of an "LA" World Series.

Will Ferrell will apparently play all nine positions tomorrow. Don't know too much about--apparently something for Funny or Die and charity. Not a huge fan of his, but will check this out since he's apparently playing 3B for the Reds during the fifth inning tomorrow. Don't know what other teams he'll play for--is suppose to travel between games by helicopter.

3rd base in MLB? Yeah, funny or die sounds about right. Those are the two possible outcomes of that stunt.

The Cubs will be fun to watch. I just dont know if they're there just yet. Sure Kris Bryant has destroyed the minors but there has to be some adjustment period. Mike Trout was the exception not the rule. Baez hits like .200. Soler is the guy to watch for sure. The pitching staff is solid, Arrieta came out of nowhere last year. Maybe Joe Maddon, a few vets and young guys are enough to at least make the playoffs.

Hope the Cubs takeover the Cardinals is all. So sick of the whole "class act, we're proud to be boring" BS with the Cardinals. God forbid a player gets excited about a home run. This twitter account always is funny but horrifying: https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

By the way, does anyone think A Rod can hit 20 bombs this year?

• 2 weeks later...

The Cubs will be fun to watch. I just dont know if they're there just yet. Sure Kris Bryant has destroyed the minors but there has to be some adjustment period. Mike Trout was the exception not the rule. Baez hits like .200. Soler is the guy to watch for sure. The pitching staff is solid, Arrieta came out of nowhere last year. Maybe Joe Maddon, a few vets and young guys are enough to at least make the playoffs.

Hope the Cubs takeover the Cardinals is all. So sick of the whole "class act, we're proud to be boring" BS with the Cardinals. God forbid a player gets excited about a home run. This twitter account always is funny but horrifying: https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

By the way, does anyone think A Rod can hit 20 bombs this year?

I think Soler will hit more home runs than Bryant and Arod combined.

Well maybe not that mean - but Soler is a beast. I picked him in the first round of my fantasy league rookie draft.

I don't think Arod will hit 20 home runs. Remember, this is a 40 year old INJURY prone dude who is off the steroids now. So just physically, nobody his age and with his body type would be counted on for 20 homers.

But for him specifically?

2014 -

2013 - 7 homers, 244 average, 181 at bats -

2012 - 18 homers, 272 average, 460 at bats

2011 - 16 homers, 276 average, 373 at abats

He hasn't hit 20 home runs or played in 130 games in the past four years.

There is no fountain of youth when you are an injury prone 40 year old. 20 bombs for him would be his high mark since 2010. I think the best Yankee fans could hope for a season that looks something like 120 games, 15 homers, 260 average. That would be a huge success. I would guess more like 90 games, 10 homers, 235 average.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that. Good points. My only thought was that A Rod might get more ABs than we expect.

Soler over Bryant is a bold choice but not improbable.

Do you guys think teams get a little too enamored with prospects sometimes? Like remember when the Yankees wouldn't give up Ian Kennedy for Roy Halladay? Seems ridiculous now. Guys like Bryant and Soler are likely the real deal but for every Jose Fernandez there are two Daniel Bards.

That said, it's about value in return. I can see why the Red Sox wouldn't trade Betts or Swihart for Cole Hamels. Hamels is on the wrong side of 30 and has an unfriendly contract. But if you're the Cubs, would you not trade Alcantara, Baez or Schwarber in a package for another ace pitcher to pair with Lester and go all in for the next few years?

Yankees did the same thing with Jobe Chamberlin and a couple other guys.

Do you think Arod is physically capable of playing a full season? He's been hurt every year for the past four years. It's hard to believe that this year, at his age, with his injury record, that he somehow is going to be healthy for 500 at bats. We're not talking about some 25 year old kid.

I really like Soler over Bryant - at least for this year - simply because Soler already has had a taste of MLB pitching. I always like guys who played some time in the Bigs over guys who haven't. Soler had like 60 at bats last year and hit close to 300. Plus his experience playing for the Cuba national teams is way more competitive - I think - than playing in the mlb minors. Bryant will probably have the better career .....but in terms of production for this year, I'd take Soler.

Plus there is this about him:

On April 10, 2013, while playing on the Daytona Cubs of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League, Soler was ejected for fighting. Immediately following a bench-clearing incident, Soler allegedly charged the opposing Clearwater Threshers' dugout while brandishing a baseball bat.[10]

Sort of like Joc Pederson for the Dodgers. He sucked it up last year in the bigs, but don't be surprised if he has a 280, 25-homer season this year. Nothing is going to be new for him this year like it was last year.

Edited by Apollo

Joc Pederson went for $16 in an auction league I'm in. That's damn insane. But in real life terms, yeah I wouldn't rule out him having a good season.

Cubs send down Bryant and Baez. Baez makes total sense, you can't hit 200 and strike out like that and stay in the bigs. It sucks for Bryant but unfortunately the cubs had to do this based on the MLB rules. It's only 2 weeks but he's obviously earned the right to start opening day. They could stand to tweak the rules to prevent these situations again.

Should we do predictions?

AL East: Red Sox

AL Central: Indians

NL West: Mariners

AL Wildcard game LA Angels over Chicago White Sox

NL East: Nationals

NL Central: Pirates

NL West: Dodgers

NL Wildcards: Marlins over Padres

ALCS- Red Sox over Mariners

NLCS- Nationals over Marlins

World Series- Nationals over Red Sox in 6

AL ROY- Mookie Betts

NL ROY- Kris Bryant

AL Cy Young- Felix Hernandez

NL Cy Young- Jordan Zimmermann

AL MVP: Mike Trout

NL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton

Not exactly going out on a limb with some of those, I realize.

Edited by bt88

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Indians
NL West: Angels
AL Wildcards: Tigers over A's

NL East: Nationals
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Dodgers
NL Wildcards: Giants over Pirates

ALCS: Angels over Indians
NLCS: Nationals over Dodgers
World Series: Nationals over Angels in 6

AL ROY: Carlos Rodon
NL ROY: Kris Bryant

AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez
NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw

AL MVP: Mike Trout
NL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton

If I was Boras and Bryant I wouldn't sue or complain too much.

I'd simply tell the Cubs management "Congrats on getting one extra year from Mr. Bryant. Unfortunately for you and Cubs' fans, that is all you will now get. Because the likely hood of Bryant signing a long-term deal with the Cubs is now Zero percent. As soon as this first contract is done, he is gone. Way to ruin a potential life-time deal."

14 games

424 batting average

9 home runs

Bryan is the MVP of all of Spring Training.

There is no justifiable reason for the Cubs to send him down other than the extra contract year.

I hope Bryant wins a couple MVP awards and then leaves the Cubs.

Keeping Bryant down is justifiable due to the MLB rules. The cubs are just playing by what's in place. It's the right call for long term health of the franchise, he'll be back up by May. Boras clients tend to test free agency anyway. This isn't the first time this has happened and players tend to work out deals when it does

Going back to predictions, Isnt it just way too hard to pick the actual world series winner? Picking who gets into the playoffs isnt as bad, but baseball more than most sports seems to have the most random playoffs. Wildcards win regularly. I'm all for it- it keeps more fanbases engaged longer.

Keeping Bryant down is justifiable due to the MLB rules. The cubs are just playing by what's in place. It's the right call for long term health of the franchise, he'll be back up by May. Boras clients tend to test free agency anyway. This isn't the first time this has happened and players tend to work out deals when it does

Going back to predictions, Isnt it just way too hard to pick the actual world series winner? Picking who gets into the playoffs isnt as bad, but baseball more than most sports seems to have the most random playoffs. Wildcards win regularly. I'm all for it- it keeps more fanbases engaged longer.

So you think it's OK for a major league franchise to not put it's best team on the field? As a paying fan, you'd be happy with that?

And how is it the right call for the long term health of the franchise if this move causes Bryant to not sign a long term deal with the club? Or if they go 5-7 without him, Bryant comes up and wins rookie of the year and the cubs end up finishing 90-72 and one game out of the playoffs? What if Bryant gets beaned by some 20-year-old kid in the minors who hasn't learned how to harness his 99 mph fast ball yet? What if Bryant finishes one home run and two RBI's short of breaking the all time rookie record for those categories? You think he's going to be "happy" that the Cubs forced him to miss 12-13 games because of financial reasons? You think that's going to make him want to sign an extension with the club? What about other teammates, you think they are going to be happy with the way the Cubs are handling this?

Yes, I understand why the Cubs are doing it. And many teams have done it.

But when a guy is literally the MVP of spring training. He his 9 homers in 14 games. If he did this in the regular season it would be the greatest season in the history of sports:

424 avg, 102 homers, 175 RBI.

No player in the history of MLB baseball has "earned" a spot on the opening day roster more than Bryant did this spring.

This move is 100% a financial move.

Players performance on the FIELD should be what determines where a guy ends up. Not his salary or contract situation. Moves should be made that give the Cubs the best chance to WIN games this year, not five years from now. What if Bryant is a bust or gets a career ending injury - then that extra year isn't going to mean much.

BT88 -

So pro athletes often have incentives written into their contracts.

If Clayton Kershaw gets a million dollar bonus if he strikes out 200 batters this year, and during the fourth inning of his last start he picks up strike out number 199.....you'd say the Dodgers were doing the right thing if they pulled him out of the game before he could get that 200th million dollar strike out? Because saving that million bucks is certainly more beneficial to the team than Kershaw getting 2-3 more strike outs for the season.

Integrity of the actual game.

Purposely not playing your best players.........where is the integrity of the game in that?

I think the Kershaw thing is a false equivalency. There's nothing about it in MLB rules. The Bryant situation has that caveat to it. It boils down to this. Jeff Passan put it best: Does the impact Kris Bryant can have over nine games in 2015 supersede what he can do into his full age-29 season? If the answer is yes, you keep him. If the answer is no, you don’t. Again, the rules need to be changed. That much is true. You cant blame a team for using them to their advantage in an era where players walk in free agency all the time. Nor could you blame Bryant for testing the open market when he has the chance. its a business.

I don't disagree with your idea of earning your spot. Yeah he was the best hitter in the league in spring. But it is spring. It's nine games. Pennants aren't won in April.

Evan Longoria, Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg and George Springer all went through this and moved on pretty quickly. Longoria signed an extension. I think players and fans get over this quicker than we think.

If he gets called up and they win a World Series or even go on some deep playoff in the next 5 years, how long do you think he holds onto that grudge? I think that answers your questions about teammates and paying fans. Again, players understand the business end of things.

In regards to integrity, I think that's just a very subjective thing and given the current state of pro sports, I think that's something to maybe not hold too dear. Guys who hit their wives win superbowls, guys who bite other players play in world cups, hockey and basketball teams are tanking for the first overall pick, an NBA owner was running discriminatory housing practices for years, the MLB is coming out of the steroid era. The list goes on. I think trying to take the moral high ground in sports is a dangerous game to play. It's not the Normal Rockwell, Ken Burns version of the game. it's a cold business that wants money just like other businesses. it's just fun to watch the best people in the world do their thing.

Going back to predictions, Ronaldo I had a tough time NOT picking the Cardinals for the NL Central. Somehow they get it together every year, and a big piece in their lineup in Matt Carpenter is probably due for a bounceback, as is Wacha. I know in October we'll be watching them close a 5 game gap in like 12 games and be sitting here saying "I told you so"

So you think it's OK for a major league franchise to not put it's best team on the field? As a paying fan, you'd be happy with that?

And how is it the right call for the long term health of the franchise if this move causes Bryant to not sign a long term deal with the club? Or if they go 5-7 without him, Bryant comes up and wins rookie of the year and the cubs end up finishing 90-72 and one game out of the playoffs? What if Bryant gets beaned by some 20-year-old kid in the minors who hasn't learned how to harness his 99 mph fast ball yet? What if Bryant finishes one home run and two RBI's short of breaking the all time rookie record for those categories? You think he's going to be "happy" that the Cubs forced him to miss 12-13 games because of financial reasons? You think that's going to make him want to sign an extension with the club? What about other teammates, you think they are going to be happy with the way the Cubs are handling this?

But when a guy is literally the MVP of spring training. He his 9 homers in 14 games. If he did this in the regular season it would be the greatest season in the history of sports:

No player in the history of MLB baseball has "earned" a spot on the opening day roster more than Bryant did this spring.

Players performance on the FIELD should be what determines where a guy ends up. Not his salary or contract situation. Moves should be made that give the Cubs the best chance to WIN games this year, not five years from now. What if Bryant is a bust or gets a career ending injury - then that extra year isn't going to mean much.

BT88 -

If Clayton Kershaw gets a million dollar bonus if he strikes out 200 batters this year, and during the fourth inning of his last start he picks up strike out number 199.....you'd say the Dodgers were doing the right thing if they pulled him out of the game before he could get that 200th million dollar strike out? Because saving that million bucks is certainly more beneficial to the team than Kershaw getting 2-3 more strike outs for the season.

Purposely not playing your best players.........where is the integrity of the game in that?

Come on Apollo the guy will be down at AAA for all of 12 days I doubt this will have a huge impact on the Cubbies chances of winning the pennant.

It is a business and as BT88 stated if this kid ends up being a legit star Boras will take him Free Agency anyway if the Cubs don't lock him up long term before FA.

Sports is a business now and if the team gets to save a year of eligibility it makes perfect business sense.

BTW the kid put up monster numbers in the minors and most likely will be a star but you should know better than to base your decision on spring numbers as they mean very little once the season starts. How many rookies have been superstars in the spring only to fall flat on their faces once the season starts?

Edited by classicrawker

BT88 -

Come on Apollo the guy will be down at AAA for all of 12 days I doubt this will have a huge impact on the Cubbies chances of winning the pennant.

It is a business and as BT88 stated if this kid ends up being a legit star Boras will take him Free Agency anyway if the Cubs don't lock him up long term before FA.

Sports is a business now and if the team gets to save a year of eligibility it makes perfect business sense.

BTW the kid put up monster numbers in the minors and most likely will be a star but you should know better than to base your decision on spring numbers as they mean very little once the season starts. How many rookies have been superstars in the spring only to fall flat on their faces once the season starts?

Ask the Mariners last year how big of a difference one game in a season is. Much less 10 games.

It's cool. You guys side with owners. I believe an owner should put forth the best team that gives the team the best chance to win. The players and fans deserve that. Why have spring training and keep stats if performance means nothing?

Can anybody say that Bryant didn't earn a spot on the team this year? Exactly.

And anybody can be a bust. Spring training doesn't dictate a career. But when you are named as the number one or two prospect in ALL of baseball, you tore up the minors last year, and you are the MVP of spring this year......odds are in your favor.

BT88 -

Ask the Mariners last year how big of a difference one game in a season is. Much less 10 games.

It's cool. You guys side with owners. I believe an owner should put forth the best team that gives the team the best chance to win. The players and fans deserve that. Why have spring training and keep stats if performance means nothing?

And anybody can be a bust. Spring training doesn't dictate a career. But when you are named as the number one or two prospect in ALL of baseball, you tore up the minors last year, and you are the MVP of spring this year......odds are in your favor.

It's not as cut and dry as siding with owners. Remember too, it's not like there is outrage among the cubs fan base about this. In any event, in the vain of "putting your best players out there" I am curious- Where did you come out on the Strasburg shut down a few years ago? Certainly a murkier situation

Edited by bt88

On Bryant: It is too bad for him, but if I'm the Cubs GM, I make the same move under the current rules. Yes, they're improved and appear to have a bright future, but I think they'll spend this year fighting the Reds for fourth place in the division--with or without Bryant on the team for April. Think they're still a couple of years away from being serious contenders. Sure, they may surprise and arrive early, but I'd say the odds are that, with the young core that they have, 2021 will be a much more realistic shot at World Series contention than this year, so that's the year I'd rather have Bryant.

And, yeah, it's hard not to pick the Cardinals every year for the NL Central. The Central will be interesting this year and in the near future. The Cardinals are always good, Pittsburgh has set itself up to win consistently, Milwaukee has some nice talent, the Reds could bounce back with returning injured players, and the Cubs have a lot of young talent.

• Like 1

BT88 -

I am not siding with anyone Apollo so don't put words in my mouth. I am just a realist and Baseball is a business. If sending him down can possibly save the team millions and give them another year of control by delaying his free agency it is a no brainer for the Cubbies.

Besides the kid has never played a game in the ML so nobody has any idea if he will have any impact on the Cubs during his 12 days in the minors. Everything points to him being a future Allstar but spring training games mean nothing once the season starts. More then one "can't miss" prospect has had a Babe Ruth spring training only fall on their faces once the season starts.

Looks like the Dodgers have now inherited the title of the "Evil Empire" as their payroll dwarfs even the Yankees this season. Their payroll is $53 Million more then the 2nd place Yankees and almost $100 Million more then the World Champion Giants.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/02/inside-the-absurd-luxuries-of-the-dodgers-270m-payroll/

While it has a luxury tax it looks like it has no impact on the richer teams.

So does Baseball need a hard salary cap like Football?

On Bryant: It is too bad for him, but if I'm the Cubs GM, I make the same move under the current rules. Yes, they're improved and appear to have a bright future, but I think they'll spend this year fighting the Reds for fourth place in the division--with or without Bryant on the team for April. Think they're still a couple of years away from being serious contenders. Sure, they may surprise and arrive early, but I'd say the odds are that, with the young core that they have, 2021 will be a much more realistic shot at World Series contention than this year, so that's the year I'd rather have Bryant.

And, yeah, it's hard not to pick the Cardinals every year for the NL Central. The Central will be interesting this year and in the near future. The Cardinals are always good, Pittsburgh has set itself up to win consistently, Milwaukee has some nice talent, the Reds could bounce back with returning injured players, and the Cubs have a lot of young talent.

I couldn't even tell you what the Brewers are doing right now. It's like they took the Bucks strategy of putting together a team that is constantly going to push for a wild card (or 8th seed in basketball), but refuses to tank in order to build up the farm system.

That's why the Cubs are going to be set up to start winning in the next few years. The power on that team is going to be scary.