The [Internet] Lights Go Out on North Korea

downzy

According to reports, North Korea is without the Internet right now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/world/asia/attack-is-suspected-as-north-korean-internet-collapses.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

Nice to see someone in the U.S. have a backbone even if Sone Entertainment and various movie theatre chains do not.

doesnt all the internet in north korea somehow go through china?

Good question, not sure. I read recently that China didn't show too much enthusiasm for any retaliatory response by the U.S.. It said it would deal with North Korea according to China and international law once they have seen all the evidence. Either that happened of the U.S. chose not to wait.

Good question, not sure. I read recently that China didn't show too much enthusiasm for any retaliatory response by the U.S.. It said it would deal with North Korea according to China and international law once they have seen all the evidence. Either that happened of the U.S. chose not to wait.

i remember reading about it after the sony situation that the internet goes through china somehow. president obama did say they would do something and at the same time like you said the chinese were pretty pissed and they actually let it show in that letter a former chinese general wrote. so maybe china and the us actually got together on this to teach north korea some kind of lesson. i mean the US would be suspected no matter what but the chinese could actually get really fuck with the north koreans if their internet runs through them.

VICE's HBO series had a feature on North Korea. And needless to say, it was extremely jarring. I really wish the United Nations would get together, put personal interests aside, and liberate North Koreans.

It would be a victory for the human race.

Because that's worked so well every other time it's happened.

Actually, it's backfired almost every time it's happened.

VICE's HBO series had a feature on North Korea. And needless to say, it was extremely jarring. I really wish the United Nations would get together, put personal interests aside, and liberate North Koreans.

Wow.

Just to reiterate, we have a modern-day Holocaust right under our collective noses, and your response is "fuck it".

Edited by Roush

The problem with liberating North Korea is that South Korea is not going to want them and those 25 million people will face a very tough transition period. Maybe a more South Korean friendly government will be set up that will ease the transition. The problem is that many North Koreans who escaped into South Korea find it very hard to adjusting. They can't go back so many just live off the government unable to find work. Most of them are women, some even resort to prostitution. The few men have it worse and many lie about their origins.

Plus think about all the people they have to rehabilitate? It is going to be one of the biggest humanitarian crisis in recent years.

The problem with liberating North Korea is that South Korea is not going to want them and those 25 million people will face a very tough transition period. Maybe a more South Korean friendly government will be set up that will ease the transition. The problem is that many North Koreans who escaped into South Korea find it very hard to adjusting. They can't go back so many just live off the government unable to find work. Most of them are women, some even resort to prostitution. The few men have it worse and many lie about their origins.

Plus think about all the people they have to rehabilitate? It is going to be one of the biggest humanitarian crisis in recent years.

Obviously it's to a different extent, but similar concerns were expressed when East and West Germany were reunified. It wouldn't be easy, but it certainly would be better than what currently exists.

Let's go ask a few captives what they would prefer:

a.) Malnourishment, torture, abuse of every tactile kind, um, I don't know...death.

b.) Potential xenophobia, and a lack of employment opportunities.

Damn, option B does look pretty bleak...

• Like 1

Wow.

Just to reiterate, we have a modern-day Holocaust right under our collective noses, and your response is "fuck it".

That's not what I said. What I am getting at is that this attitude of, "the good guys need to go in and flush out the bad guys" doesn't work. Political crises which are rooted in years of historical and cultural phenomena aren't easily solved by an M4 carbine. Look at the UN's track record of peacekeeping/peacemaking, it's not great... it's not even good. I am not saying do away with the UN, I'm actually a big UN fan, but this is an area in which the UN (and other large international actors which start with the letter U....) has tried multiple times, and has had minimal success.

How do you deal with the reeducation program once NK is "liberated?" What does "liberated" mean? Do we find a Western-sympathetic politician in the NK high command, and support his coup? Do we send in 50,000 UN troops to occupy the country after a vast bombing campaign?

What are you suggesting?

Edited by OmarBradley

Obviously it's to a different extent, but similar concerns were expressed when East and West Germany were reunified. It wouldn't be easy, but it certainly would be better than what currently exists.

East Germany wasn't a personality cult though.

It is better than to let them suffer but you have to understand, most world leaders don't five a shit about North Koreans. Especially in South Korea.

It is better than to let them suffer but you have to understand, most world leaders don't five a shit about North Koreans. Especially in South Korea.

I'm not sure if you can unequivocally state that most world leaders don't give a shit about North Korea. World leaders generally do not like rogue states that have a habit of providing weapons to rogue actors. North Korea would not exist If it were not for the support of China. The day China stops caring about having the Korean peninsula divided is the day the Jong dictatorship is over.

I'm conflicted on this, because I do see the comparison, but I think even in your comment downzy... you see that the circumstances are too different to really justify an intensive comparison.

I'm not sure if you can unequivocally state that most world leaders don't give a shit about North Korea. World leaders generally do not like rogue states that have a habit of providing weapons to rogue actors. North Korea would not exist If it were not for the support of China. The day China stops caring about having the Korean peninsula divided is the day the Jong dictatorship is over.

I don't think NK would react passively if China stopped supporting them. This area I'm less expert on than UN/EG, but if China goes.... what does NK have left to lose? And China really doesn't want a war.

I see two possible reactions to China pulling support (I'm sure there are more that I've overgeneralized into these):

1. NK reacts aggressively, war eventually breaks out; NK dies a slow, attrite death due to war and political failure to address the exasperating domestic circumstances that war would bring to NK.

2. NK reacts passively, issuing press releases; NK dies a slow, attrite death due to lack of external aid. Like they do now... I think they'd accept some support from other countries, and possibly make some concessions, but how long could that be sustainable without China?

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

I have a feeling that S. Korea still claims to desire unification as an ideological stance but secretly sees unification as a complete pain in the arse and would prefer, the present status quote. A bit like Ireland, sustaining the Fenian ideology of 'reclaiming Northern Ireland', but behind closed doors, taking one look at the Troubles and saying, 'feck that'.

• Like 1