Dont you feel that next album could be their last oportunity?

The last opportunity ( which, I'm not sure of the finite definition of that ) probably was when CD was released. Regardless of what Axl does from here on out, short of a reunion, it's not going to equal ( or come anywhere near, really ) the hype surrounding CD's release.

Were Axl to temper his own expectations of the band and commit to establishing some sort of connection to the fanbase / public at large, and actually provide something for people to buy into, then yeah, GnR would/could have a future. As optimistic as I've been about the band ( I do believe we'll see another GnR release of new music in Axl's lifetime ), I can recognize that what's left of the band at this point is essentially a vapor.

It just depends on what Axl wants to do.

Better, sod, twat, catcher....all great songs.

If Axl had released stripped down versions of albums at the same "quality level" of CD in 01, 04, 07, 10 and 2013.......then Axl and GnR would be the biggest rock band in the world today.

CD is a strong album. A less tinkered with CD is the rock album of the year.

But just CD over a 15 year period? It wasnt good enough to "carry" 15 years of a band. But five CDs? Oh yes. That would have put GnR back at number one.

I admire your enthusiasm Groghan but production was not the only problem with ChiDems' acceptance. It was released 7 years too late. Had no radio friendly hooks which is why it got almost zero radio play. IMHO nothing could have been done to make that album a success as that style of music was dead by the time it was released.

If anyone thinks the Chinese leftovers are going to suddenly take the world by storm they are dreaming. As Axl basically said, If you didn't like ChiDem you won't like the next album release of more of the same.

And that is what is confusing to me. Why essentially "sit" on songs you consider to be "big guns" for a decade now?

How many artists sit there with a vault full of songs they consider to be epic songs and just sit on them for years upon years upon years? Knowing that the longer they wait to release them, the more outdated (maybe that's not the correct word, but you know what I mean) they will become. The music world goes through changes - a killer grunge song would be a hit in 1994, but in 2004? Not so much. Heck, even a song like Ice Ice Baby was a "hit" when it came out. But if it came out today it would be laughed at and not get any radio play.

If Axl had a vault full of "big guns" in 1999 or 2002 or 2008, why in the world does an artist keep those songs locked away?

Axl's plan made sense if he was really going to release three albums worth of material over a 6-7 year period. But now, with one album in 20 years and no new album in site......it's a bit of a "f*ck you" to the fans. It's no wonder that artists like Bucket and Bumble quit. Those guys want to write, create and share music with their fans. Not sit on songs for a decade or more.

Can you imagine turning in a song to your lead singer and him saying "Sounds great. Let me tinker with it. Maybe we'll release it 10-12 years from now."

For bands to stay huge and retain a large fan base, you have to release music for those fans to enjoy. The quality of the music will dictate how big and relevant you stay at. But by never releasing music??? Yea, you are pretty much just sucking the teat of music that was created by a completely different band. IMO Axl is too talented to have to do that. I have no doubt that he could be releasing quality albums every 3 years. Better/SOD/Catcher/TWAT.....Axl can create songs of that level every few years.

If the next album had a Misfits / Aerosmith / Stones / Queen mashup vibe like UYI, had solid production and had four or five big name old-school rocker guest stars (Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen) I could see the press giving it a push, and some buzz getting generated on social media.

But that's not going to happen, so we'll either get nothing or we'll get an album that only sells a fraction of what Chinese Democracy did and chases Axl off for good.

I mean,we have seen Axl and Gnr from 2001-2002 being a weird band,from 2006 to 2010 been closer to what we thought is gnr,and again from 2011-2014 being in constant roll down.I think if they dont put a good album and great performances this band will disapear.

It feels like some of the band members BBF and maybe others less ashba are there waiting for make a great album and conquer the world again,but as BBF said (another nail in the coffin) this band has become a lazy old band nearly a theater of Axl has been.When i see pics of axl from 2011 to 2014 it looks like a old rocker in his cabaret.I think its sad to end like this......maybe one last great album would be the punch they need.

Maybe if they dont make a record,some of the non original band members will give up and go,i think that its for sure

Just my opinion.Merry christmas to all Gnr comunity,great to found you all!

I interpret you as saying that the band has one more chance and if they fail that chance the band will end. Yeah, you might be right. Axl doesn't seem to enjoy being a productive artist, or at least not the process of producing and releasing. It's like pulling fucking teeth. Without anaestetics. On yourself. So yeah, if Axl perceives that the next record is a failure he might just quit the business alltogether. That being said, what Axl thinks is a failure might not be the same as what most people think. He's an odd one and I have a feeling he is more concerned with recording and presenting the songs in certain ways than with how commercially successful they are. To him, a success is more connected to realizing his artistic aspirations than earning heaps of money - not that he don't mind the money, I'm sure. I might be wrong. Still, even if the next album is a commercial and artistic success, and Axl is mighty happy with the record and the process behind it, he might still say enough is enough. He might think it's the right note on which to end the song of GN'R. Or, he might feel locked in a hellish marriage desitined to continue struggling to release music that he will never be really happy with and that will never be as commercially relevant and successful as what he helped make in his early career.

And happy new year to you! :)

Personally I think in many ways Axl has already has had his last opportunity (although obviously I'd love to be wrong). History has shown that it is possible for bands to survive lineup changes - Fleetwood Mac pretty much became a completely different band sound wise when Buckingham and Nicks joined. Jimmy Page effectively did an Axl in the '60s and started the 'New Yardbirds' which became Led Zeppelin. Not to mention other cases like AC/DC and Deep Purple. The key is however to establish any new line up and put the focus on new material and keep on putting records out regularly. A new GN'R album would bomb now, CD at least had the mystery factor. I think if Axl had released a follow up pretty much immediately after and then got on a regular release cycle the band would be in a much better place. It's not rocket science and it's a shame that Axl didn't build on any momentum/increase in public interest in the past (like in 01/02, 06/07 or 09/10). Really Axl needs proper management and to get the current lineup in a studio with a producer like Kevin Shirley to make a record. Ashba could write a couple of predictable songs that could become hits on radio. Of course it'll never happen. Sorry to sound so negative, it's just a shame when your favourite band, made up of really talented musicians (and Ashba :lol: ) seems stuck in a rut!