Dont you feel that next album could be their last oportunity?

The reason that songs like Street Of Dreams never took off is that, while at the core they are great songs, they drown under hundreds if layers of shit shred, million note per second masturbation, and needless plinks and plonks from dizzy reed and Pittsman and whatnot.

• Like 3

The reason that songs like Street Of Dreams never took off is that, while at the core they are great songs, they drown under hundreds if layers of shit shred, million note per second masturbation, and needless plinks and plonks from dizzy reed and Pittsman and whatnot.

Street of Dreams is one of the few that wasn't clustered with unnecessary edits I thought. Still, there are plenty tracks that've made it big that has had a lot going on sound wise.

"The Blues" as it was back when they (the old new GNR) were playing it live in the early 2000's would have been a real contender for a "hit"...

Very true. I was feeling nostalgic the other day and listened to a few tracks from the band's first gig from the House of Blues in 2001, which was the first time I saw Axl perform. There was so much excitement about that song back then, and you could tell Axl was expecting it to be a hit when he introduced it and said "I think you'll like this one". It had a much better tempo, less drawn out intro, and Axl's vocals were still pretty strong back then. That's the definitive version of the song for me. If they had put that version out in 2001 with some of the early cuts like Catcher with Brian May, and the IRS demo (which still sounded pretty fresh 14 years ago without all the extra production), they could have a had a somewhat respectable follow up to UYI, instead of the unlistenable clusterfuck it turned into. By far the most mismanaged and wasted opportunity of Axl's career.

• Like 2

Rovim, I think there's too many reasons standing in the way for it not to come out.

The label easily being, in a sense, half of the obstacle. From purely a business point of view, I don't think they're willing to do much more than actually releasing the thing. I can't see them investing too much time, money, and energy on another comeback album that sounds extremely similar to the last comeback album that crashed and burned. I think they'd be willing to send it out, but that's it. And I mean it. And who could blame them? What sense would it make if they did anything more than that when there's barely any demand for another nu guns record? And I just can't see Axl being ok with that given the shit fit he threw last time. Unless they can bring Axl back down to Earth and make him just accept the situation for what it is, something Axl is notorious for not doing, I just can't see it. I don't think either side will come to terms with even how to release it. Plus, of course, Axl's insecurities and never knowing when to stop, on top of that. Oh and the fact that it seems like the band is about to lose yet another guitarist, and only God knows how long it will take for the replacement to "add his touches" to Axl's liking.

I've said it a million times, but the best case scenario is that we hear it through leaks, and/or the label milks it as "AXL'S FINAL YEARS" sometime after he's gone. And we should consider ourselves extremely lucky if even that happens. Nothing else seems even remotely plausible anymore. And that's mostly because facekicker and nosaj are right. CD was Axl's last chance to either shine or burn out and sadly, things went towards the latter.

Edited by Bobbo

The funny thing is, no matter what, there's always another opportunity for Axl. He could be an obese, 95 year old man on his deathbed, but if he decides he wants to record and/or perform, there will be a few people who go "alright, I gotta check that out."

The VMAs, then several riots and a cancelled comeback tour that was selling like shit anyway, leading into complete silence for four years which by all means should have been a death sentence, then 2006 happens and people took notice.

Then nothing for two years, leading into a disappointing release of CD and Axl being strangely absent, then more silence until the tour kicks off in 09 and people take notice.

Then Rock in Rio 2011, Axl is widely mocked all over the internet, but people still went to that tour.

It's only the end if Axl chooses to do nothing. If the guy gets on stage, in front of a microphone, or makes music and releases it, there will always be people want to check it out.

We had ZERO new songs this year. ZERO POINT ZERO. We got a shot of a phantom in a recording studio.

True, all we got was a leak of going down , that may have even been the year before.

We need something or this band will start losing more fans

People call Axl this and that but he has us in the palm of his hand, if he releases a snippet of a unreleased song today, tomorrow, the forum will be buzzing and potentially get picked up on social media, news outlets you name it and interest is redeemed just like that. Simple.

Not for much longer, I don't think. Going Down generated nowhere near the interest or media exposure that the C.D. leaks got. A new leak tomorrow? Yeah, this place will be buzzing for a week or so, maybe a month. The diehard rock sites will report on it. That's about it.

I don't think there's an argument that people don't wanna see Axl perform live anymore. But nobody really cares what he does or doesn't do creatively anymore. Not unless...you know :lol:

axl must do a new album with slash, izzy and duff, it's the only way to be relevant again.

How the fuck is an 80s rock band getting back together relevant to 2014?

We had ZERO new songs this year. ZERO POINT ZERO. We got a shot of a phantom in a recording studio.

True, all we got was a leak of going down , that may have even been the year before.

People call Axl this and that but he has us in the palm of his hand, if he releases a snippet of a unreleased song today, tomorrow, the forum will be buzzing and potentially get picked up on social media, news outlets you name it and interest is redeemed just like that. Simple.

Not for much longer, I don't think. Going Down generated nowhere near the interest or media exposure that the C.D. leaks got. A new leak tomorrow? Yeah, this place will be buzzing for a week or so, maybe a month. The diehard rock sites will report on it. That's about it.

I don't think there's an argument that people don't wanna see Axl perform live anymore. But nobody really cares what he does or doesn't do creatively anymore. Not unless...you know :lol:

axl must do a new album with slash, izzy and duff, it's the only way to be relevant again.

Going Down has Tommy on vocals. I guarantee that if something like Silkworms or Cuban Skies got leaked they'd have gotten as much attention as the CD leaks

And as long as the band existed he was full of plans, dreams, he had that fire in him to explore himself artistically, to develop, to grow, to make the band bigger and better with every album and tour. As he said in 92: "The bottom line is nothing can come between me and Slash and as long as we have that bond we have Guns N Roses" . And there you go - they don't have that bond and practically speaking there is no Guns N Roses.

So true, good post.
  • Like 1

guns n'roses > fakegnr

it's as simple as that

Maybe in a lot of fans minds, sure. But in mainstream terms ANY GNR = The Past. Or tell me the last Guns N' Roses sounding song to hit your country's top 10?

Edited by tomfriend

The best way to predict future behaviour is the look at past behaviour. Axl has controlled GNR for over 17 years. There ain't anymore success. I still think Axl is an intriguing character, but he used to be that and so much more. Slash and co must laugh and cry over his 'vision' which destroyed what once was.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Their last opportunity for what? World domination?

It's over. GnR is about the least relevant band on the planet and until Slash comes back this ship is sunk. CD was IT and it bombed and most people don't like it. Nobody cares about a new GnR album now so their last chance has sailed already.

Edited by Bono

"the second half of Chinese" :facepalm::rofl-lol:

It's like waxing poetic about the long awaited second half of Plan 9 from Outer Space. How about making some new music, you fat and lazy fuck?

It's not Axl style to release just regular albums. My prediction is that in 10 years people will enjoy it. Edited by maynard

Iron maiden were nearly dead in 1998,in 1999 bruce and adrian were back...........and i think they are doing preeeeeeeeeeeeeetty good right now...

Their last chance for fame was in 2006 when they were still touring and making news and rock was very much alive. If they released the antiquiet versions of the title track (brains drums and only axls lower register), Better, and TIL as singles, I think they could have made nuGNR known as a good band to the general public. Maybe even TWAT with way less instruments and shit and a no compression on his vocals at the 2nd half (its way too noisy/cluttered, it sounds oddly confined)

Their last chance for fame was in 2006 when they were still touring and making news and rock was very much alive. If they released the antiquiet versions of the title track (brains drums and only axls lower register), Better, and TIL as singles, I think they could have made nuGNR known as a good band to the general public. Maybe even TWAT with way less instruments and shit and a no compression on his vocals at the 2nd half (its way too noisy/cluttered, it sounds oddly confined)

Maybe it's just me, but I remember the Antiquiet leaks sounding very incomplete, to the point where I went "Oh no," but sighed relief when they actually came out since they were fleshed out more. "Prostitute" is the one I'm mostly thinking of.

• Like 1