Lynyrd Skynyrd Influence on Guns?

Am I the only one that hears some influence/inspiration? I think Ronnie and Axl have some similarities and could probably both kick ass (in a fight) in their prime. Both bands were huge and wanted to just rock and record. Both bands had a ton of hits in a very short period of time. Both bands had keyboard/piano players and back up singers. Both bands loved Les Pauls and guitar solos. Both bands wrote long guitar anthem songs... I don't know, I kind of hear some LS in GNR. Just seeing if anyone else ever heard it or ever heard Slash or Axl mention them.

Well, Ronnie was notorious for being basically a redneck that wasn't scared of anything. I kind of got that vibe with Axl. Axl is small and shouldn't win, but since he had the "I don't give a fuck, I have nothing to lose" attitude, that made him dangerous. Dangerous people, that have no fear, can usually throw down pretty good.

There are some inspirations in particular for SCOM. If I remember well, Axl said at the time something like that for him, growing in Indiana, Lynyrd Skynyrd was a band that he was not so interested in because it was like the band loved by the common man... But he listened some lynyrd songs to be in the mood before singing SCOM, because it was so heartful.

Another song with Lynyrd inspiration is Paradise City... For the intro, and some melodic guitar lines (the line after the main clean intro that you can also hear during the chorus)

"I was fucking around with this stupid little riff," says Slash. 'Axl said, Hold the fucking phones! That's amazing!"

Within five minutes, the band had worked Slash's cyclical riff into the bare bones of a song. Fleshing it out wasn't so easy.

"Writing and rehearsing it to make it a complete song was like pulling teeth," says Slash. "For me, at the time, it was a very sappy ballad."

Axl Rose felt differently. He supplied uncharacteristically intimate lyrics based on a poem he had written for his then girlfriend, Erin Everly, daughter of '60s pop icon Don Everly. To get the right sound, he went back to an unlikely source: unfashionable '70s longhairs Lynyrd Skynyrd, the hard-drinking Southern redneck rockers decimated by a plane crash in 1977 that killed singer Ronnie Van Zant and two other band members.

"I'm from Indiana, where Lynyrd Skynyrd are considered God to the point that you ended up saying, I hate this fucking band!" said Rose in 1987. "And yet for Sweet Child... I went out and got some old Skynyrd tapes to make sure that we'd got that heartfelt feeling."

While Rose was adamant about the song's potential, his bandmates were less convinced.

"It was like a joke," says bassist Duff McKagan. "We thought, What is this song? Its gonna be nothing."

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=149

This plus Axl's 1990's tour dressing (jackets with USA flag, cowboy boots, hats, "Jesus image") shows a lot similarity to Skynyrd

Guns were like the Stones meets Aerosmith meets Led Zeppelin meets Skynyrd meets Queen for me

Edited by Motivation

I dunno, maybe some, but I'd go with Joey Ramone as a bigger influence than LS. I say this as Joey would obsess over a melody line for days and weeks until it was right, and he wrote some amazing melodies, like Axl. We also know he was a big Ramones fan. I mean you take an F Bm Am progression and come up with the end of "Street of Dreams", from "what it means to me" to the end, it's just a fucking amazing melody line. THIS is why Axl is Axl, plus the soaring vocal abilities, boatload of attitude and stick to it convictions, I mean if he were ever voted into the RRHOF I wouldn't be surprised if he declined induction. :shades:

Edited by axlskAmpf
  • Like 1

Axl made it sound like the spirit of songs like "Tuesday's Gone" was what factored into SCOM. Do I think Billy Powell is why Dizzy Reed exists in GNR? Maybe. 3 guitar lineup? Maybe.

Tuesdays gone sounds totally like 'crazy 'by aerosmith.

This too, regarding Civil War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKGYMA8Fnxs

intro sounds familiar to civil war, the solo at the end = slash's scom solo. nice find.

Edited by maxpax

I dunno, maybe some, but I'd go with Joey Ramone as a bigger influence than LS. I say this as Joey would obsess over a melody line for days and weeks until it was right, and he wrote some amazing melodies, like Axl. We also know he was a big Ramones fan. I mean you take an F Bm Am progression and come up with the end of "Street of Dreams", from "what it means to me" to the end, it's just a fucking amazing melody line. THIS is why Axl is Axl, plus the soaring vocal abilities, boatload of attitude and stick to it convictions, I mean if he were ever voted into the RRHOF I wouldn't be surprised if he declined induction. :shades:

Yeah, Axl always knew how to come up with great melodies. The end of Street Of Dreams is packed with emotion, and it's not like Axl can only do it with ballads. I really like how he sang over Robin's simple Better riff in the verses. It's amazing how he came up with a perfect vocal line that fits like a glove to the chord progression. Good stuff.