Seasonal Blues

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Anyone here suffer from this or believe it's a real thing?

I definitely think I suffer from the winter or more specifically post Christmas blues. After Christmas, every year without fail, I feel so down even if everything is fine. It's probably just the anti climax of Christmas but honestly as I get older, I'm finding it harder and harder. It's also lasting for longer too.

I was reading about it today and apparently it can be down to a lack of vit D and not being in the sun. I'm going to go out tomorrow and buy some vit D to see if it'll help. It's also possible to get summer time blues. Can't say I've ever experienced it. Have any of you?

It's so hard to describe how I feel when I have it but it really sucks. I have no motivation for a few weeks every time this year.

i suffer from it all year so nothing is really different now :lol:

Have you been diagnosed and do you take medication? Sorry to hear that.

haha like a plant.

Maybe you'll grow too. :lol:

My dream is to make it to 5ft 4!

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

i suffer from it all year so nothing is really different now :lol:

Have you been diagnosed and do you take medication? Sorry to hear that.

haha like a plant.

Maybe you'll grow too. :lol:

My dream is to make it to 5ft 4!

yes and i was on drugs for a rather short time but they made me feel funny and made things worse so i quit taking them so i just kind of manage it myself.

Get one of those special lights. Sit in front of it for 15 minutes in the morning each day. I know people who swear by it.

If it's seasonal and not Christmas blues, of course.

I need to add that these same lights are often used to treat Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder, so if you're gonna use it, use it in the morning right after you wake up, otherwise your sleep schedule could get fucked up

Vitamin D pills actually work really well, I have the same problem this time of year. It sucks, but it's a nice excuse to take a trip down south in the winter.

I thought seasonal affective disorder was bullshit at first, but nah. After a few years since being told I had it the pattern was obvious. It's no joke, but it's easy to manage.

i suffer from seasonal depression mostly in September, when it's raining and summer is dying and it makes me feel like the end of the world... i know it's stupid but i can't help it

winter on the other hand is fun. i love holidays, somehow i always feel happy at the beginning of a new year, even if there's no reason for that.

whenever i feel down i go skiing/snowboarding, for me it's the best antidepressant

It's indisputably a real thing, and I think a vast number of people suffer from it. I reckon we should probably move Christmas to January, there's already Halloween in October, Thanksgiving if you're American/Canadian, Bonfire Night if you're British etc. January is when we all really need a pick up.

Like Bran I'm depressed year round anyhow and will likely be on meds for the rest of my life. It's no picnic, but it still riles me when people like myself dismiss those who suffer from seasonal affectation as if its some trivial thing.

With fewer hours of sunlight and lower temperatures that make it harder to stay active, the winter months can be a strain on the body and mind. Here are The Onion’s tips on how to keep seasonal depression at bay:

• Get to the gym! Exercising can help you find people to hate even more than yourself.
  • Just wait another billion years for the North American continent to drift closer to the equator.
  • Make sure you’re overeating the right foods.
  • Many find it helpful to escape the cold by building a hexagonal room lined with mirrors deep underground, heating the chamber up to at least 120 degrees, and then descending into a hallucinatory fugue for the winter.
  • Take a three-week-long vacation of a lifetime to explore Southeast Asia, or, you know, buy a special lamp.
  • It’s a little-known fact, but pharmaceutical companies actually make medications that can be used to alter people’s moods. However, doctors only prescribe these medicines in extreme circumstances for a tiny handful of one in five Americans.
  • Curling up inside and binge-watching your favorite TV show is a great way to pass several hours of your months-long winter ordeal.

Take a three-week-long vacation of a lifetime to explore Southeast Asia, or, you know, buy a special lamp.

i agree it's the best way to fight winter depression. the only problem is that after coming back home you will have to overcome the post vacation blues :lol:

Edited by netcat

There must have been a reason why our ancestors migrated north and presumably, you would have thought , environmental evolution would have equipped us, by now, with the ability to mentally withstand a northern hemisphere climate?

We migrated north because there was easy living there.

Humans migrated out of Africa only 70.000 years ago. That is only about 3500 generations ago and not an awful amount of time for evolution to shape our minds. Especially when considering that the selection pressure is quite low for these evolutionary changes to happen (mild depression have a minor effect on eolutionary fitness).

Every trait that arises and gives a reproductive benefit will tend to be propagated in populations So, if a mutation occurs that leads to elongated indeces which in turn lead to, on average, more viable offspring, then that trait will, over time, become more and more frequent in populations and, given enough time, become what is normal. The question is, of course, whether long fingers really gives higher evolutionaly fitness.

I definitely feel the blues in the winter - walk to work in the dark, walk home in the dark, it's cold and and it's dark. When I was in Miami a couple of weeks ago I really wondered why I'm living in Canada. Yes the days are still short, but you don't couple it with cold. I wonder that every winter though, and then Spring comes and I love it in Canada again.

The only thing I do to combat it is increase my vitamin D in my diet. I have no idea if that really works.

Yes I definitely believe it. I always feel down near the holidays. I've lost many loved ones and the holidays without them gets harder each year.

I'm grateful for the times with them, but hate that they're over and done with. Plus this winter here in Dallas we've had many cloudy rainy days and they're always depressing to me.