New Sorum Interview: GNRs Early Days, "Secret" Project, Book(?), Adopt The Arts

i know not a lot of people care, but since there is a lack of news in the GNR community, why not!

full interview here:

http://www.guitarworld.com/matt-sorum-discusses-adopt-arts-charity-kings-chaos-and-guns-n-roses

summary:

On how Adopt The Arts came to be: Matt originally wanted to start a charity that gave away guitars. The project was called "Music For Healing". Matt was going to stop at various places while on tour and give these guitars away. His first stop was Haiti, but he couldn't get the guitars in the country. One day Matts friend came over and saw all the guitars laying around his house and told him they could really use those for a music program at the school she teaches at. and thus Adopt The Arts was born.

The Annual Fundraiser: Matt wanted to honor Billy Gibbons after just coming off of touring with him. Then he got the idea of honoring Butch. The first people he thought of to call to play the show were Slash and Duff.

On the importance of music in public schools: Matt says everything in school is competitive, but music brings people together to achieve harmony and combines history, math, and art all into one class. Matt talks about how budget cuts target music first and people need to stand up for it.

On how he got into music: Matt notes the time he saw the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show as the moment he knew that he wanted something to do with music.

On the music scene in LA when he was growing up: Matt says it was on fire and cites a moment when he played a club and opened for Van Halen and remembered saying to himself that they were going to be big.

On how he landed the gig with the Cult: Pat Torpey was originally asked to be the drummer, but he was starting another project and referred the band to Matt. He tried out, got the job, rehersed, and was opening for Metallica in the blink of an eye.

On his early years with GNR: Matt says it was an all around good time until they got out on the road… "There was a lot of pressure, but it was a good time. Right up until the very end."

Update on some of his projects: Matt plugs his solo album from last year, KOC, and a "secret" project he isn't able to talk about yet.

On if he would ever write a book: Matt says he would love to at some point, but he wants to do it right. Even if its "painful" for some to read.

sorry the title is sort of misleading… i meant Sorums early days in GNR

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 1

"From today forward I will not be commenting on Guns N' Roses or making any remarks about the future." He adds, "The legacy continues without my commentary."

Matt Sorum April/2012

I understood that quote to be specifically about reunion and today's Guns.

I can't see him talking about reunion in that quote, but I can be wrong ...

Matt has things to tell with his long experience with Gnr and the Cult. He has a distinctive drum style and he has played on great albums (including UYI 1/2 and Beyond Good and Evil by the Cult). And I like his animal rights activism

Don't forget Contraband