"The Cancer" revisited

GUNNER PT

A little bit of history to start ...

In 2009, after many years of silence, and after many years of only one side of the story being told to us by some GN'R's former members (with all the things we all know they said), Axl Rose finally gave an interview, conducted by his friend and GN'R's road manager, Del James.

In that same interview he accepted to talk about the possibility of a GN'R reunion.

Axl told that there was no possibility for a reunion with his former bandmate Slash and said something that, even today, 6 years later, make some people go mad:

In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided - and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better.

The all interview was summarized to a single highlight promoted by the press: "Axl Rose calls Slash a cancer", as we can see here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/axl-rose-calls-slash-a-cancer-in-new-chinese-democracy-interview-20090227

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-calls-slash-a-cancer-198427

... and many more

Some sites even change words to look even more dramatic: "Axl Rose says Slash is a Cancer", as you can see here:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2009/02/27/uk-guns-idUKTRE51Q2WA20090227

http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=30991.5;wap2

... and many more

It's funny to see that the press only wanted to promote a supposedly negative side of the all interview ... and, once again, the public eat it. The public eat it so well, that until today, some people keeps repeating that "Axl called Slash a cancer", in defense of Slash, everytime someone say that Slash did something negative.

It's funny (but somehow sad) to see how some people can be easily manipulated by the press :rolleyes:

The truth is, Axl never called Slash a cancer nor said that Slash is a cancer. And this is not an opinion, it's a fact, as anyone can see.
Another interesting thing is to see that Slash himself didn't take it to the heart at the time, when he even told "that's sorta funny", and then never talked about it again ... is their fans who got really offended for years and years just because of something that is a fallacy meanly promoted by the press. To be honest no one can understand if they really got offended or if they just like to use this easy but fake argument to defend Slash, everytime someone criticize Slash.
More ... even Marc Canter, a close friend of both Axl and Slash, didn't made that horrid interpretation of what really happened, as you can see here:
The big mistery remains ... why the hell this fallacy still is so important for some people?
I have a theory, but I would like to let other people participate a bit on the thread before I start posting for real.
I know this is a polemic question, so I would like to ask everybody to be civil so we can have a good discussion where everybody can expose their point of view.

A little bit of history to start ...

In 2009, after many years of silence, and after many years of only one side of the story being told to us by some GN'R's former members (with all the things we all know they said), Axl Rose finally gave an interview, conducted by his friend and GN'R's road manager, Del James.

In that same interview he accepted to talk about the possibility of a GN'R reunion.

Axl told that there was no possibility for a reunion with his former bandmate Slash and said something that, even today, 6 years later, make some people go mad:

In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided - and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better.

The all interview was summarized to a single highlight promoted by the press: "Axl Rose calls Slash a cancer", as we can see here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/axl-rose-calls-slash-a-cancer-in-new-chinese-democracy-interview-20090227

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/guns-n-roses-axl-rose-calls-slash-a-cancer-198427

... and many more

Some sites even change words to look even more dramatic: "Axl Rose says Slash is a Cancer", as you can see here:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2009/02/27/uk-guns-idUKTRE51Q2WA20090227

http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=30991.5;wap2

... and many more

It's funny to see that the press only wanted to promote a supposedly negative side of the all interview ... and, once again, the public eat it. The public eat it so well, that until today, some people keeps repeating that "Axl called Slash a cancer", in defense of Slash, everytime someone say that Slash did something negative.

It's funny (but somehow sad) to see how some people can be easily manipulated by the press :rolleyes:

The truth is, Axl never called Slash a cancer nor said that Slash is a cancer. And this is not an opinion, it's a fact, as anyone can see.
Another interesting thing is to see that Slash himself didn't take it to the heart at the time, when he even told "that's sorta funny", and then never talked about it again ... is their fans who got really offended for years and years just because of something that is a fallacy meanly promoted by the press. To be honest no one can understand if they really got offended or if they just like to use this easy but fake argument to defend Slash, everytime someone criticize Slash.
More ... even Marc Canter, a close friend of both Axl and Slash, didn't made that horrid interpretation of what really happened, as you can see here:
The big mistery remains ... why the hell this fallacy still is so important for some people?
I have a theory, but I would like to let other people participate a bit on the thread before I start posting for real.
I know this is a polemic question, so I would like to ask everybody to be civil so we can have a good discussion where everybody can expose their point of view.

:facepalm:

TOPIC CLOSED

TOPIC CLOSED

What a disappointment ... I thought some people could disagree so we could have a nice discussion ...

So ... this is it? You agree with everything I said and the discussion can be over?

If Axl didn't want people to focus on the fact that he called Slash a cancer in that interview then he shouldn't have said it, simple. Also saying Fact after a statement which is in no way factual does not make it a fact

• Like 1

If Axl didn't want people to focus on the fact that he called Slash a cancer in that interview then he shouldn't have said it, simple. Also saying Fact after a statement which is in no way factual does not make it a fact

Where is Axl calling Slash a cancer?

I don't think the Mod Team should let these passive aggressive tr*lling threads to exist.

All you do is feed into this idiotic Axl-vs-Slash "defense team" crap that just causes people to argue.

All this topic is designed for is to make people choose sides in an issue that really doesn't concern us - the fans.

Axl made a very vulgar statement - not sure how it ranks compared to Axl calling a female moderator a "lesbian c*nt" and belittling her.

Slash laughed it off.

End of story. Why do we - fans - need to give our views on what actually happened or what it all meant? It's obvious what Axl meant. JUST take him at his word. Just take the words he said and BE DONE WITH IT. It's not our place to find hidden meaning or to change the meaning of his actual words.

These are the topics that just further divide the forum fan-base, and the overall GnR fan base. It's really sort of sad to see people make topics like this.

And Sturg hits a home run.

• Like 2

:rofl-lol:

I don't think the Mod Team should let these passive aggressive tr*lling threads to exist.

All you do is feed into this idiotic Axl-vs-Slash "defense team" crap that just causes people to argue.

All this topic is designed for is to make people choose sides in an issue that really doesn't concern us - the fans.

Axl made a very vulgar statement - not sure how it ranks compared to Axl calling a female moderator a "lesbian c*nt" and belittling her.

Slash laughed it off.

End of story. Why do we - fans - need to give our views on what actually happened or what it all meant? It's obvious what Axl meant. JUST take him at his word. Just take the words he said and BE DONE WITH IT. It's not our place to find hidden meaning or to change the meaning of his actual words.

These are the topics that just further divide the forum fan-base, and the overall GnR fan base. It's really sort of sad to see people make topics like this.

And Sturg hits a home run.

I see ... with this kind of atittude the thread won't last too long ... that's what you want, right?

CAn't you just respect whoever wants to discuss this?

What divides the fanbase is the disrespect, not the debate. I understand that would be much confortable for you just to take Axl's word s... but we are not vegetables and we have brains. Is it that bad to reflect about whatever happens in GN'R world? So, this is nothing to do with the fans, so we shouldn't talk about it, right? Then, I wonder why some people doesn't stop talking about the "cancer" thing.

I even wouldn't like to focus too much in the "call or not call" thing ... I rather would like to focus in "why this is still so important for some people" ... can you focus on this one, pls? Don't you agree that this is still important for some people ... I mean, there's people who keeps repeating this after 6 years, and its not me who does it.

We could discuss the "badmouthing", why can't we discuss this? Is it that sensitive?

Edited by GUNNER PT

Really funny yes ...

Anglo-Saxon must be really different of latin languages ... you know ... to me there's a huge difference between "consider" and "calling".

"To consider" has an implicit and weighted doubt

"To call" involves an undoubted statement

I don't know if I was clear enough ... but again, I wouldn't give to much importance to this question ...

The main question is ...why this is still so important for some people?

Come on...

You are the one who started the thread in Canter Banter, right? ... so you know it isn't a stupid question :)

Edited by GUNNER PT

Really funny yes ...

Anglo-Saxon must be really different of latin languages ... you know ... to me there's a huge difference between "consider" and "calling".

"To consider" has an implicit and weighted doubt

"To call" involves an undoubted statement

I don't know if I was clear enough ... but again, I wouldn't give to much importance to this question ...

The main question is ...why this is still so important for some people?

hahaha the guy actually thinks he's making a valid point. Doesn't even realize how ridiculous he's making himself look. :lol:

Yes yes, I already know that ... but:

Why this is still so important for some people?

Edited by GUNNER PT

I'm taking a break from the GnR related sections for a while. I can't handle this shit anymore. I can't handle blatant stupidity. Some of the posters here don't even try anymore. It's just bullshit Axl Rose zealot crap. Blind faith, psychotic idol worhsip. Certain people are obviously checking their intelligence at the door when logging in.

• Like 3

Where is Axl calling Slash a cancer?

This is the quote and you brought it up so: " In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided - and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

I'll get banned for this but you would have to be a fucking moron to post that quote from Axl and then turn around and try to convince people he never called Slash a cancer. That kind of reasoning is so fucked up it's sad. It's so desperate it's pathetic. The stupidity has reached an all time high. Apollo is right. Threads like this should be deleted immediately because they are beyond stupid.

Actually I shouldn't be banned because I never actually called you a fucking moron did I?

And if you wanna know why the cancer comment it's "so important" it's because people like you constantly talk about what a meannie Slash is and talk about all the bad things he's said about Axl without ever pointing to anything specific. Then you turn around and actually try to tell us that Axl never called Slash a cancer.

I honestly hope you nor anyone get banned because of this ... but ... you don't need to be rude man ... if you don't want to discuss this, that's ok.

Axl is not calling Slash a cancer ... where is he telling "hey Slash, your a cancer" or "Slash is a cancer"? He is just making a consideration ... in a nutshell ... it's not only me who is seing this ... anyone who don't want to dramatize purposely this question will see it the same way ... look at Marc Canter's post (the link is in my first post) ...

I understand that you may feel a little bit disturbed if you just realised that something that you always thought was an absolute truth is, in fact, the press manipulating the words again, just to give you a big headline.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that Axl never called Slash a cancer. I'm just giving my point of view. Unlike you said, I'm not desperate ... do I look so? I don't think so ... but you look a bit ... why all that energy in just one post?

I thank you for replying to the question in your last sentence ... so, let's talk about it ... if you don't mind.

So, if I understood well, you admit that "calling (or not calling) cancer" it's not the main thing ... it's not important at all by itself ... see ... we agree in something :)

Looks like you also admit that Slash's fans only like to use the "cancer" argument to defend Slash everytime someone criticize him, as I said in my first post .... see ... we agree again. :)

I'm taking a break from the GnR related sections for a while. I can't handle this shit anymore. I can't handle blatant stupidity. Some of the posters here don't even try anymore. It's just bullshit Axl Rose zealot crap. Blind faith, psychotic idol worhsip. Certain people are obviously checking their intelligence at the door when logging in.

Yes man .. I think it's ok for you to take your time if you can't handle this ... it's healthier ...

It's a little bit late in Portugal, so I'll leave for tomorrow my post about why I really think this is important for some people ... I just hope that, meanwhile, people don't mess the thread too much and it get closed because of that <_<

Edited by GUNNER PT

No offense Gunner, but I'm inclined to agree this is a horseshit of a topic and a lame ass effort to troll other members.

Here's the quote: "In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed." How you re-imagine that quote into something else takes such an Orwellian effort that I'm not sure why anyone would genuinely engage your point.

We'll keep the topic open since this is the Civil War section of the forum, but why anyone else would waste their time to respond is beyond me.

I understand your love for Axl, but I don't even know what to say man, everyone else has said it so I wont keep on repeating it, my suggestion would be just try to be a little mature, only wkuk would like this thread, but really this is a dumb thread, calling someone a cancer is not cool and that time his mom was suffering from Cancer

Even Slash could have called Axl many things like a wife beater or how insane he is, but well Slash is a mature person, ok Axl is dumb to say those things, but why are you being so immature and supporting him in a wrong thing?

Grow up bro

• Like 1