What Music Shit Are You Watching? (videos, interviews, docu's etc)

Len Cnut

I just do not know how America and Americans can ever grasp the Pistols, their milieu, humour and cultural tropes being so thoroughly English. There again, England accepted Chuck Berry and all of that 'Americana'.

There is a theory that America kinda invented the aspirations of the English working class, or rather gave them a new set of aspirations and rock n roll and the attendant take over of world culture by American culture was part of the package. The ideal of American schools and American cars and burger joints and going out and fun times at the hop all presented in Chucks music (and in rock n roll in general) kind of became this ideal for England too, with the mindset supplemented by television and American television programs.

Punk made a point of how against it they were too, with The Clashes 'I'm So Bored with the USA'. So you could argue it wasn't so much Chuck and rock n roll was something that the British took to and understood immediately, more something they WANTED as an escape from where they were at.

Then again, how do you explain the way England took to the blues then? The pure stuff I mean. But then did they even really, or was it just something that shot off from rock n roll for them?

Edited by Len B'stard

Jagger is the ultimate fulfillment of that as you find this scion of Dartford singing about Sweet Virginia in the accent of a black American lady!

Punk is a curious blend of patriotism (of England) and hatred (of England). It is rather like saying, ''we are wank, but we are proud (in our filth)''. None of these Punks wanted to be Americans like Jagger.

• 2 weeks later...

Fucking hell, Jabberwocky ... and DR DOOM....are the only members with any semblance of music taste on this whole godforsaken board.

Chuck Berry!

BB King!

Queen!

Led Zeppelin!

Michael Jackson!

Aerosmith!

ZzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fucking boring shit. Cliche crap. Hacks every fucking one of them.

Oh wait...Jimi Hendrix!

Wake me up when red house ends in a fuckin half hour...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

John Lennon!

Overrated to the nth degree....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Like 1

Yeah but he gives it a certain negritude that makes it sound cool, a certain blaxploitation type feel, groovy from a middle class white hippie chick sounds lame, coming out of a cool Superfly Priest-esque black fella makes it sound smooth. 'Dig' and all that aint even really hippie slang, more New York black geezer slang that spread out, kind of like the way hip hop and a lot of phrases from there are common all over the place now, even in England. 'Cats' 'dig' 'crazy', a lot of that is 50s slang before there were any hippies.

Edited by Len B'stard

Re-watched Atlanta. Jimi is in an iffy mood and thirty minutes of the footage is missing - long gone! - which is why it seems like a greatest hits set. In reality he played Red House, Hear My Train and a few more unreleased numbers (as per usual on the Cry of Love tour) - the new DVD Electric Church restores ''Straight Ahead'' which is a definite highlight. Presumably the filmmakers just chucked in the bin ''all these boring blues numbers and unknown songs''. So, as I said, it runs like a hits show (Purple Haze, Hey Joe).

The album co-release is almost complete I believe. It is called Freedom. I've not heard it yet.

Not the greatest Hendrix performance by anyone's estimation. No where near as good as Berkeley or Royal Albert but it is decent. It does not have the sound problems that plague Isle of Wight. As I said in my previous post about it, it has a slight going through the motions feel: Jimi really wanted to be in Electric Lady.

In all the pictures of him in England outdoors he always looks sort of hunched, like the cold don't agree with him :lol: Strange for a boy from Seattle, which I'm led to believe is a bit nippy.

He died mixing wine with Brown Ale, UUUUUUURGHHH!!! apparently he was pouring wine into pints of Brown Ale, fuckin' Jim, what are you like?!?! Why would you do that, he couldn't've been hard up for a drink surely, i mean i know he weren't Mr Millionaire or anything but surely you'd think being Jimi Hendrix down the pub they wouldn't let you put your hands in your pocket.

Jimi Hendrix down the pub, what a funny sounding phrase :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Further on that image, I like the fact it is not all one way traffic. It was just as much a culture clash for Jimi to be in England, and an England which in many ways remained unaltered from its staid 1950s image. For all the eulogising of Carnaby Street and 'Swinging London'', life for many continued as it had been doing since the war.

You are not going to turn Englishmen into American beatniks or French New Wave types over night, after all?

Brown Ale? Never heard of that one. The is an old man's boozer in Newcastle which I walk by everyday during the summer. This is it,

Percy-St-pic1.jpg

You cannot miss it if you arrive in Newcastle by bus as it is just opposite the main bus station, or indeed if you are walking to St James Park as St James is just behind that facade basically. Fairly innocuous isn't it? Well, I discovered that upstairs there used to be a club called the Club a' Gogo, owned by Animals/Hendrix manager Mike Jeffery. It hosted Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, The Animals, John Lee Hooker, T Bone Walker, The Who, Cream, et al. Here is how it used to look from a roughly similar angle,

percy-street.jpg

See that doorway on the far right. That led upstairs to this club.

Unbelievable, the bits of local history you just walk by. How many people walk by there without realising Hendrix and the Rolling Stones played there haha? Before Woodstock and Monterey there was that. Crazy.

More information and photos can be found here,

http://www.readysteadygone.co.uk/club-agogo-newcastle/

It goes on a bit about Newcastle's vibrant Jazz scene.

Swinging London was a load of bollocks really, it wasn't even all of London, much less all of England, similar to punk in that respect. Now i think about it The Animals were Geordies weren't they? I must remember that place in case im ever in Newcastle, have you ever been there, whats it like? I'd be interested to know what happened to all them chitlin circuit gaffs in America, some of those bills were like an embarassment of riches, James Brown, Wilson Pickett, Marvin Gaye all on the same bill, how amazing would that be? Is that a fuckin' Zephyr parked out front?

But yeah, look, the 60s were fuckin' pretty grim really across England, if you look it's kind of like...these things happen in the cores of cities, like all the telly you watch from the 60s, it ain't all long hair and swinging, in fact it's not til the 70s where long hair became the standard, you were still sort of a freak if you had long hair in the 60s, the point of my saying this is the things were usually dead by the time they hit the suburbs. Sort of like punks, you never saw many on the streets until like, the 80s.

I speak to a lot of my older uncles (my Dad came here at 8 yrs old in 1967 so he's not likely to remember much) about the 60s, swinging 60s, all that stuff and they don't recall shit really. Like The Beatles or whatever...now i suppose being immigrants fresh off the boat if you like they're not likely to have clocked on to all kinds of cultural shit but this was fairly massive and i was like, did you not like...notice anything, get into this stuff? And he was like, look, who had the time? You do a 12 hour shift at the cement factory, other than that you were down the pub banging out pints, get some food down you and off to bed. The birds they remembered, female fashions and what have you, that was a big thing. And i was like The Beatles, you must remember The Beatles surely? And he was like look, to your average grown man, we didn't give a monkeys, i have a vague recollection of these four boys that used to come on TV and go 'yeah yeah yeah' and girls would scream and go crazy but it was just thought of as a girlie thing, it wasn't something in working mens pubs had much regard for, i remember life being more about....parrafin heaters, lino floors, outside bogs, pennies in electric meter, freezing cold nights without central heating, having a piss pot under the bed cuz it's too cold to nip out for a slash, we had to work, no one had any time or particular regard for pop music.

So yeah, it's important to note that the documentaries we watch are sort of...I'm not saying they're inaccurate and all this shit wasn't a phenomenon, it was...but at the same time it was very much a kids thing i think, to a point if not entirely. I suppose it depends on your inclinations and that but i don't suppose your grown man, your cloth cap wearing bitter drinker gave two shits about pop music really.

Edited by Len B'stard

It is just an old man's pub. See for your self on the above picture. The upper tier, where the place actually was, is a part of the Eldon complex which is this horrible shopping centre which swoops around the city. Unfortunately it seems to be modern but the pub has an older facade as seen on the photo. Perhaps they kept some of the original structure for the lower building then? I'd like to think so.

Usually a red faced old bloke is outside that pub when I walk by, smoking. It is the sort of pub where they think you are a poof if you have your own hair and tattooless arms.

PS

This local newspaper is trying to pass off Jimi Hendrix as from the Toon,

http://www.thejournal.ie/newcastle-aer-lingus-regional-1129930-Oct2013/

God loves a trier.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Fucking hell, Jabberwocky ... and DR DOOM....are the only members with any semblance of music taste on this whole godforsaken board.

Chuck Berry!

BB King!

Queen!

Led Zeppelin!

Michael Jackson!

Aerosmith!

Oh wait...Jimi Hendrix!

John Lennon!

Well well well....you grace us with your presence just to tear us down :lol:

• Like 1

Chuck Berry!

BB King!

Queen!

Led Zeppelin!

Michael Jackson!

Aerosmith!

Oh wait...Jimi Hendrix!

John Lennon!

Well well well....you grace us with your presence just to tear us down :lol:

In my defence i like a lot of out there music but who the fuck around here gives a shit for Glen Branca or The Butthole Surfers or Fugazi or The Meat Puppets or The Minutemen i been on this forum a good long while and used to make threads about such bands, those threads basically entailed me going 'so...any fans? anyone? helllooo, anybody out there?' :lol:

• Like 2