10 Worst GNR Songs (Houston Press Article)

I really don't know why you put yourself in this place of attacking a person for their opinions and taste in music.

I never attacked anyone for their taste in music but opinions? Yes, if someone has an opinion that you believe to be spurious then, in the framework of a discussion, for it to work, your job is to attack it although to be honest 'attack' is the terminology you employ, I call it disagreeing, sometimes disagreeing passionately because you believe it to be wrong.

Calling them retards, stupid, fools... that never made anyone win an arguement, all the contrary it makes you look like someone who is desperately trying to hurt others, even if you don't know who those people are.

'win' an argument? I didn't think it was a sport my dear. And yes, people who copy things they see off the telly or do things because a rock star tells them are stupid, sorry but I'm not in the business of kowtowing or sugar-coating, call a spade a spade, if something is stupid then I'm gonna call it stupid, i don't care if that offends you, it's a perfectly acceptable word in the English language designed to express a specific sentiment, so when you feel something is stupid there's a special little word put aside for you to describe that sentiment and that word iiiiiiiiiiiiis....stupid.

Minority of people..

Yes, minority, those people are a minority, people who watch Rambo and think it is real and try to copy it are a minority, people who see Superman on the telly and think they can fly are a minority and people that listen to Used to Love Her and think it's a good idea to kill their girlfriend cuz they think the song says so are a minority...a miniscule one at that.

I think you're seriously disconnected from reality and certainly don't have a clue of what you're talking about. You're a very uninformed grown man of 31 years of age.

You patronize yourself, sir.

OR, more accurately, you said something patently ridiculous and presumptuous and i pointed it out and having found yourself unable to address the specifics therein you just resorted to calling me stupid...without actually using the word stupid but communicating just about exactly the same thing. Because of course, stupid is a bad word, however would you 'win' doing that?

How about addressing the point made there, instead of prevaricating? I'll give you the quote again:

But I do believe messages are messages and maybe those lyrics will not make you literally go murder your girlfriend, but they will establish some common notions about shutting up women who complain or who bother you.

'they WILL establish some common notion about shutting up women who complain or who bother you'...thats WILL...not may or could or have the potential to...but WILL...they WILL establish common notions about shutting up women who complain or bother you', what you've said there is that every last man that ever listened to Used To Love Her WILL come to have these notions established in their head, which is the most ridiculous piece of bullshit i have ever heard and it is the EXACT kind of sexism, stereotyping and downright prejudice that you were highlighting in your misconcieved objection to what is basically a pop song.

And THATS the real issue here, your finely tuned antenna for prejudice towards the female species is directly informed by a related prejudice you have, whether concious or subconcious, toward the male species. THAT is not my problem and i should not have to deal with or account for your prejudices in the framework of a discussion.

That's YOUR interpretation.
In my interpretation, the element of truth that makes it relatable and fun for a guy, is the fact of singing a victory song over some woman who drove him nuts. She was nagging him so he made her shut up.
And she shut up.

Laughing at it is like becoming a partner in crime with who's singing it. It's a shared secret or wish some men have in their back of their minds.
Not everybody will act upon it, of course, but having it in a song it's the perfect scenario for this fantasy.
The song doesn't harm anyone in real life but everytime you play it and sing along to it, you're having this crime reenacted.
This is the reason why I don't want to take part in it anymore. I don't have this fantasy inside of me.

No it's not my interpretation, I'm talking about the established notions upon which humour functions, it's to do with comedy and punchlines and how people respond to them, it's about the set up and pay off of a particular comedic line of thought, I'm talking about a machination, a function, you're talking about an over-arching idea which is YOUR interpretation, what i was pointing out was an objective asssessment of a comedic function, this is you not grasping whats being expressed on my part and not understanding how humour works.

For a start, how is what you've pointed out even funny, where's the funny bit?

Edited by Len B'stard